Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Morning Glory Seeds, St. John's Wort

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

Bill to outlaw plant-based drugs held up
    #4138640 - 05/05/05 06:30 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Bill to outlaw plant-based drugs held up
May 5, 2005 nola.com

BATON ROUGE -- A bill making it a crime to process hallucinogenic drugs from plants, including morning glory and angel's trumpet, ran into a snag Wednesday when advocates of natural medicine said the proposal could put them out of business.

Rep. Mike Strain, R-Covington, sponsor of House Bill 20, asked the House Committee on the Administration of Criminal Justice to postpone debate on the bill for a week so he can work with officials of the Louisiana Health Freedom Coalition, an organization that promotes the use of plants and herbs in medical treatment.

As it stands, Strain's bill bans 39 plants and herbs from being used, owned or processed to make illegal drugs. He introduced the bill because there has been a problem with youths in the New Orleans area ingesting angel's trumpet to get high, and dying or injuring themselves.

"There was one youth in Kenner who tried to chew his own arm off" after taking a plant-based hallucinogen, Strain said. "We have people abusing them with devastating consequences."

The bill would make it a crime to produce, manufacture or possess with intent to distribute compounds and mixtures that contain one of the listed hallucinogenic plants. Violators could be punished by between two and 10 years in jail and a fine not exceeding $20,000.

The bill also would make it a crime to possess or make drugs containing a hallucinogenic plant. Violators could face up to five years in jail and pay a fine of up to $5,000.

Anyone who owns, grows or cultivates the hallucinogenic plants would not be in violation, Strain said.

But Kevin LeBlanc, who said he is a doctor of natural medicine, said with more people using natural medicines from roots, plants and herbs, Strain's measure "would eradicate what is already on Louisiana shelves," products such as belladonna and St. John's wort.

He asked the panel to amend out of the bill the products derived from hallucinogenic plants used for culinary or medicinal purposes.

But Rep. Danny Martiny, R-Kenner, chairman of the panel, said that would defeat the purpose.

"That would gut the bill and people would then say they were using it for medical purposes," he said.

On another matter, the panel approved and sent to the House floor HB 29 by Rep. Eric Lafleur, D-Ville Platte, restricting the sale of over-the-counter cold and sinus medication that can be used to make methamphetamine.

Lafleur's bill would make it illegal for a store to sell more than three packs, or nine grams, of ephedrine or pseudoephedrine at one time. A violation could be punishable by a fine up to $2,000, up to two years in jail or both.

The bill also would make it illegal to sell the ephedrine products knowing they will be used to make illegal drugs. The bill calls for a penalty of a minimum two years, and up to five years, in jail, a fine of $10,000 or both.

A more complex version of the same ban cleared a Senate committee on Tuesday, restricting the sale to three packs and requiring more monitoring and display of the products on store shelves.

* Related story: Bill targets plant hallucinogens

Edited by veggie (07/02/05 12:28 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinenothing
Old Hand

Re: Bill to outlaw plant-based drugs held up *DELETED* [Re: veggie]
    #4139073 - 05/05/05 08:08 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by Sir Ian

Reason for deletion: _

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: Bill to outlaw plant-based drugs held up [Re: nothing]
    #4139853 - 05/05/05 11:49 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

They're missing the whole fucking point of it. They just said a kid tried to chew his arm off while under the influence of one of these plants. If anything, it should be a crime not to be informed about the actual effects and possible dangers involved with the plant the person in question is using. Education > incarceration.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Bill to outlaw plant-based drugs held up [Re: SuperD]
    #4141137 - 05/06/05 08:52 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

> Education > incarceration.

I agree with you, but the problem is that we have lied to our children (and each other) for so long about the 'evils of drug use' that there is no credibility left. Kids aren't stupid. They hear over and over how bad 'weed' is, and yet (through experience) they know this is a lie. Then they hear how bad Datura is, and they assume this too is a lie. We must have honest education for education to work. However, honest education would highlight the insane antidrug policies. In the eyes of those in charge, it is much better to make more insane antidrug policies than to admit we were wrong.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Bill to outlaw plant-based drugs held up [Re: SuperD]
    #4142389 - 05/06/05 03:13 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

SuperD said: They just said a kid tried to chew his arm off while under the influence of one of these plants

Sure, tobacco turns your lungs into a dark sponge and alcohol turns your liver into lasagna. I really don't understand this kind of arguments, what are they trying to prove anyway ? Drugs can kill you ? No fucking kidding !!!!
Sure i understand them :rolleyes:, they want you alive so they can kill you slowly, sucking you mentally and materially. Fuck'em, how many ways to get what you want ... i use the best :rockon:

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Bill to outlaw plant-based drugs held up [Re: Seuss]
    #4142717 - 05/06/05 04:34 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
I agree with you, but the problem is that we have lied to our children (and each other) for so long about the 'evils of drug use' that there is no credibility left. Kids aren't stupid. They hear over and over how bad 'weed' is, and yet (through experience) they know this is a lie. Then they hear how bad Datura is, and they assume this too is a lie. We must have honest education for education to work. However, honest education would highlight the insane antidrug policies. In the eyes of those in charge, it is much better to make more insane antidrug policies than to admit we were wrong.

Well said

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Invisibleveggie

Loc: Flag
Re: Bill to outlaw plant-based drugs held up [Re: veggie]
    #4361482 - 07/02/05 12:23 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Certain Plants Now Illegal
June 30, 2005 - kplctv.com

Beginning August 15th, it will be a crime in Louisiana for anyone to possess or sell substances made from hallucinogenic -- and sometimes highly toxic -- plants, such as angel's trumpet. Governor Kathleen Blanco signed the bill by Representative Michael Strain of Covington this week.

The measure outlaws the use of 39 herbs and plants with hallucinogenic qualities in food or drinks, but it allows safe amounts of them to be used in natural medicines. The bill allows the plants and flowers to be grown for landscaping or decorative purposes as long as they are not used in food or drink.

Anyone convicted of manufacturing or producing a compound of the potentially lethal plants for improper human consumption can be sentenced to as much as ten years in jail and fined up to 20-thousand dollars. People convicted of possessing such a substance can get up to five years in jail or a maximum five thousand dollar fine.

OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

Loc: My home is where my spiri...
Re: Bill to outlaw plant-based drugs held up [Re: veggie]
    #4364956 - 07/03/05 02:04 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

FUCKING BULL SHIT!

--------------------

----ALL MY POSTS ARE FICTIONAL-------

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Bill to outlaw plant-based drugs held up [Re: GNIOM1498]
    #4365037 - 07/03/05 02:33 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Louisiana is the shitter.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Morning Glory Seeds, St. John's Wort

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service