Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMirth
`'{*;*}'`
 User Gallery

The effect of complex star gravities upon the development of human brains .
    #4122217 - 05/02/05 06:58 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

As you probably know mass exerts what we term gravitational effect upon other mass - whilst distance does indeed weaken the effect it doesnt extinguish it.The opposite effect is acheived by the heightening of density of the mass or enlarging of the area of mass(both effectively being increase of mass) - as black holes,stars and so on are quite big the effect of their complex and dynamic structures upon our planet is not to be ignored - thusly I shall postilate that the immensly and vastly complex array of stars, galaxies, super galaxies and the like that the seeable universe is composed of, would by virtue of its effects upon our world cause a transference of hypercomplexity to developing systems that inhabit this incredible planet .
So put simply there is a structure surrounding our world that exerts an influence upon us that constantly and flowingly changes as the universe evolves/develops - so as we orientate ourselves differently to this structure (by facing different directions, lying down et cetera) we change how we interact with it .

So a brain developing in this world encounters constantly these forces from the outer parts of the universe and part of the nature of the complexity of these heavenly bodies is transfered to the mind as it develops .
Monkeys eat Bananas underwater .

This scientific process is so compliacated that it is olny known to me but now to you. The monkey or your ex-girlfriend is held under water and forced to eat a banana if they do they get air before they are tranqulized and shiped away. If they don't then they sink to the bottom of the tank with all the others. Once a month we have a barbacue of the bodies and bone throwing contests. That my friends is the scientific process thank you.

--------------------
The ineffable is not always intangible !

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: The effect of complex star gravities upon the development of human brains . [Re: Mirth]
    #4122422 - 05/02/05 10:09 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

The problem with these ideas is that (excluding the moon and sun) my cat jumping up on the couch exerts a greater gravitational effect on you than the nearest star.

The effect of the radio waves transmitted by your local TV station are even greater.

The effects of the stars on us are lost many orders of magnitude below the noise floor and are very unlikely to have any kind of direct effect on us.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: The effect of complex star gravities upon the development of human brains . [Re: Diploid]
    #4122513 - 05/02/05 10:52 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Diploid has the right idea.

The gravitational force from even the NEAREST star is so small as to be unmeasurable. From even more distant stars, it is acceptible to think of the gravitational field experienced here on Earth as being zero.

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: The effect of complex star gravities upon the development of human brains . [Re: trendal]
    #4122941 - 05/02/05 12:59 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

our galaxy is on a collision course with another galaxy. when our solar system gets ripped to shreds during the inevitable combination your assertion will prove stupendously false. of course, the chances of our species even existing on this planet at that point in time are practically nil.

the conditions we currently enjoy on this planet are related to events past, present, and future that directly involved interstellar bodies.

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The effect of complex star gravities upon the development of human brains . [Re: trendal]
    #4123533 - 05/02/05 03:45 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

As far as I know, no instrument has even ever been designed which is capable of detecting the gravitational pull of nearby stars from Earth. Detecting the gravitational tug of a dense object such as a lead sphere is possible from a very short range (with a torsion balance) but your gravitational environment changes much more when you go up a flight of stairs or jump than from any change which happens beyond or solar system. Those changes would be down in the level of background noise, being far outweighed by random events such as magma shifting/toilets flushing/weather patterns/etc.

[edit: that wasn't a reply specifically to you trendal, just some general remarks. I was originally adding to what you said but changed it a bit...]

Edited by ChuangTzu (05/02/05 03:47 PM)

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: The effect of complex star gravities upon the development of human brains . [Re: ChuangTzu]
    #4126628 - 05/03/05 07:10 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

> As far as I know, no instrument has even ever been designed which is capable of detecting the gravitational pull of nearby stars from Earth.

Any decent telescope can. Light waves are bent by the gravity of distant stars. As the light from stars futher away pass by closer stars, the light is bent before it reaches earth. We can detect the distortion and even calculate the mass of the star the light passed by.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: The effect of complex star gravities upon the development of human brains . [Re: Seuss]
    #4126740 - 05/03/05 08:57 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I'm pretty sure he meant detecting the gravity on Earth. You can measure the gravity by the method you described...but you may not be able to directly detect the gravity.

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The effect of complex star gravities upon the development of human brains . [Re: Seuss]
    #4132360 - 05/04/05 01:51 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Well, I didn't quite mean it like that. I meant directly detect, in the same way that a telescope combined with a detector can detect photons for example. I wasn't implying that they are gravitationally invisible : )

[Edit: yeah, what Trendal said.]

Edited by ChuangTzu (05/04/05 01:52 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology