Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

Deformed Caps & other issues
    #4074591 - 04/19/05 10:56 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Hello everyone,

I set up a Poor Man's Pod according to these specifications:
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/25056

I put my first 5, fully colonized cakes into the pod on Friday. Some shrooms had been allowed to form in the jar as recommended on the PF Tek on this sight.

Today, there is a tremendous amount of mushroom growth, but I notice a few problems...

Two of the shrooms have deformed caps. It is very hard to explain, but I will try...

One side of the shroom seems compressed, or flat, the other side seems normal. On the side that is flat, the cap has curled upwards at two plces. Curled upwards, as in the veil has broken & two small sections of the cap have "curled up". (Don't know how else to put it) These shrooms are very small, and nowhere near maturity.

The other issue, is that some of the larger (about ready to pick)shrooms have a thick growth of mycellium (at least I hope it is mycellium) growing at their base. Nowhere else on the cake, just at the base of these few shrooms. The mycellium resembles short fur to me, snow white & very soft.

I wonder if these issues have to do with the humidity of the new pod, or if they are a disease of some kind. What action should I take, if any?

I wish I could post photos but I do not own a digital camera. Sometimes my boyfriend will bring one home from work, but I do not have it at my disposal right now.

Any help appreciated. I know it is hard to comment without photos, but I am very concerned about these issues & could use some advice.

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Deformed Caps & other issues [Re: AllyKat]
    #4074745 - 04/19/05 11:34 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/22677

The white mycellium growth at the base of these shrooms from the gallery is the same as the growth I was talking about. I have seen it in several photos now, so I suppose it is normal & ok.

Going through gallery & trying to find a photo of caps that lok like mine.

Offlinefallingaway24
catatonic selfmedicator
Re: Deformed Caps & other issues [Re: AllyKat]
    #4074854 - 04/20/05 12:00 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

ya its pretty normal, i believe its caused by high humidity levels. i think humidity can cause some cap deformations like splitting and such, or maybe some of them where the ones that started pinning in the jar and just never completely rounded back out after being compressed in there, hell who knows, as long as its not contamed it sounds like everything was successfull. the cap curling up after the veil breaks is also normal. they are ready to be picked or printed

--------------------
"Most people don't know how they're gonna feel from one moment to the next. But a dope fiend has a pretty good idea. All you gotta do is look at the labels on the bottles." ~drugstore cowboy~

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation