Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
YaST crashes during partioning
    #4037392 - 04/10/05 04:21 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

During SuSE installation (via ftp), when the last partition is 100% formatted. The mouse cursor won't respond and the cursor animation halts. System will not respond to anything. Waited for over an hour the first time, no effect. Number of partitions/partitioning options have no effect.

Anybody got a clue?

Is there an easy way to run Fdisk so I can partition it myself? (I have no working linux system now, just XP on a different hard drive)

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: YaST crashes during partioning [Re: ummikko]
    #4037406 - 04/10/05 04:29 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Download a Live Distro like Knoppix, MEPIS, Ubuntu. I know with MEPIS you can run QtParted from the Live CD and mess with partitions. Yesterday I booted to a MEPIS CD in a VMWare virtual machine and resized the boot/system NTFS partition for an XP install. It works well.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

Offlineummikko

Re: YaST crashes during partioning [Re: cb9fl]
    #4037739 - 04/10/05 06:09 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I tried that with the suse live eval cd. Partitioning went well, but during network installation (I rebooted with the network inst. cd) yast now crashes (well, freezes) when it tries to activate the swap partition (its partitioned as linux swap and everything is as should be).

I had no problems like this when in intalled Debian a year ago, wtf is SuSE this unstable?

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

Offlinecb9fl
    #4037893 - 04/10/05 06:56 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Just curious, why are you installine SuSE? Aren't they the least open source of all linux distros?

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

Offlineummikko

#4039895 - 04/11/05 04:11 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yes. I couldn't get my video card to work properly under debian, so I decided to try an easier-to-install distro with more up-to-date drivers. Somebody recommended SuSE, there was no special reason besides that.

I've been working on the installation trying different things for a full day and a night now, it always crashes. So I think I'm going back to Debian now for a while atleast. -Unless somebody has a better idea. Suggestions are welcome.

--------------------

Offlineummikko

#4041571 - 04/11/05 05:21 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I ended up installing Ubuntu. The installation was a breeze and everything is working smoothly now :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #4044451 - 04/12/05 07:26 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

cb9fl said:
Just curious, why are you installine SuSE? Aren't they the least open source of all linux distros?

Not at all.
Download the latest DVD iso directly from their server for free. The ftp version is more exhaustive to install.

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.2/iso/

And about your hardware, are you using anything with a SIS chipset ?

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinecb9fl
Re: YaST crashes during partioning [Re: MAIA]
    #4045580 - 04/12/05 02:04 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Just because it's free doesn't mean it's open source.

--------------------

OfflineMAIA
Male User Gallery

#4045994 - 04/12/05 03:16 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Just because it's free doesn't mean it's open source.

It's true i know, it has tons of commercial applications - 3.2Gb of software, LOL. But contrary to other version licenses, this is the first most complete and fully functional free offer from SuSE. You have to pay for all the other older pro versions, it means that if you see any ISO file floating around the web with a SuSE 9.1 professional, it's illegal. Not with this "personal-cd edition" though.
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Licensing_and_Law/suse-product-strategy.html

MAIA

--------------------

Voltaire

Offlinecb9fl
    #4046953 - 04/12/05 06:51 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I'm not putting that distro down however until proven otherwise I will continue to see that as the least open source of all linux distros.

From that link.

Quote:

Other than that, the image contains as much of the usual mix of open-source[2] and proprietary[3] programs as will fit on one CD ? but none of the latter have restrictions on redistribution.

Quote:

2. SUSE Linux Personal-CD Edition. (Current i386/x86-64 version = 9.2)

This is the downloadable 2004 successor to Evaluation Edition, and all remarks about Evaluation Edition apply to it, except for the bit about being several versions out of date.

Personal-CD Edition is a single-disc subset of the Personal Edition boxed set, and includes only redistributable proprietary and open-source components.

Open-source andproprietary programs.

It may be a great distribution but it does include proprietary programs. Regardless if they are free to redistribute they are proprietary. I simply wanted to bring that information to the original poster.

--------------------

Offlineummikko

#4049034 - 04/13/05 05:34 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

From distrowatch.com:
Quote:

SUSE's development takes place completely behind closed doors and no public betas are provided for testing. The company has a policy of not making the software available for free download until 1 - 2 months after the boxed versions are in stores. Even so, SUSE does not provide easily installable ISO images of SUSE LINUX, relying on sales of boxed sets to deliver the product to the majority of their users.

Historically, SUSE did not provide ISO images for download, but this has changed starting with version 9.1, the Personal edition of which appeared on SUSE's FTP server about 2 months after the official release. The Professional edition of SUSE LINUX is available for installation via FTP, usually about 1 - 3 months after the official release.

edit: I won't bother starting a new thread for this:
Any suggestions for an easy-to-set-up linux firewall? Ubuntu doesn't include one. I just need a temporary solution for now, preferably with a GUI.

--------------------

Edited by ummikko (04/13/05 05:40 AM)

OfflineMAIA
Male User Gallery

#4049627 - 04/13/05 11:07 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, if you're such an open-source "purist" why don't you try using some kind of BSD then ? :wink:

I simply don't get it, what's wrong with proprietary programs coexisting with open-source programs in Linux anyway ? I like to play games in Linux and i own an ATI, how the hell am i supposed to play doom3 with open-source DRI drivers ? ATI proprietary drivers still suck, but they have a superior 3D capability and at least i can play the game.

Besides, if you don't like proprietary software "rm" and "rpm -e" are a good commands at your disposal :smile:.

MAIA

--------------------

Voltaire

OfflineMAIA
Male User Gallery

#4049664 - 04/13/05 11:28 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SUSE's development takes place completely behind closed doors and no public betas are provided for testing. The company has a policy of not making the software available for free download until 1 - 2 months after the boxed versions are in stores. Even so, SUSE does not provide easily installable ISO images of SUSE LINUX, relying on sales of boxed sets to deliver the product to the majority of their users.

Historically, SUSE did not provide ISO images for download, but this has changed starting with version 9.1, the Personal edition of which appeared on SUSE's FTP server about 2 months after the official release. The Professional edition of SUSE LINUX is available for installation via FTP, usually about 1 - 3 months after the official release.

That was true for 9.1. The SuSE 9.2 ISO version on Novell's site was released 2 months before the commercial version. The main difference between both versions are the development packages and some commercial applications which are missing in the free online version.

I'm a realist person, i develop and deploy linux servers on customers. I support the open-source community and i want it to grow exponentially, but believe me, proprietary software is still needed.

Quote:

Any suggestions for an easy-to-set-up linux firewall? Ubuntu doesn't include one. I just need a temporary solution for now, preferably with a GUI.

Guarddog - Firewall utility http://www.simonzone.com/software/guarddog
Guidedog - Network utility
Watchdog - Real time monitor

MAIA

--------------------

Voltaire

Offlineummikko

#4049669 - 04/13/05 11:32 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

:lol:
I'm not an open source-purist. I'm just a little bit dissapointed in suse at the moment, because of the failed installation. (It was suse's fault; not mine! :wink: )

I agree with you 100% -proprietary programs definately have their place in Linux.

--------------------

OfflineMAIA
Male User Gallery

#4049716 - 04/13/05 11:56 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Ooops, sorry i was replying directly to cb9fl in the first post :grin:
Anyway, i get you :wink:. The best distro is the one that suits your needs.

MAIA

--------------------

Voltaire

Edited by MAIA (04/13/05 11:59 AM)

Offlinecb9fl
    #4050521 - 04/13/05 03:19 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, if you're such an open-source "purist" why don't you try using some kind of BSD then ?

Did any of my statements say, "don't use SuSE"? I brought up a point that they are one of the least open source distros available. I think that is a valid point if a person is using linux because they enjoy the idea of freely sharing information. Originally all I asked was, "Just curious, why are you installine SuSE? Aren't they the least open source of all linux distros?" I didn't condemn him for his choice. Actually I have heard quite a few positive experiences with SuSE and was thinking at one point of trying it.

--------------------

OfflineMAIA
Male User Gallery

#4053453 - 04/14/05 05:57 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Don't get me wrong. Your position is more than valid, it's your choice :smile:. And i do agree SuSE is probably the least open source distro available, but how or why could this become a barrier to freely share information ?

MAIA

--------------------

Voltaire

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology