Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
hosting a website
    #3931731 - 03/17/05 05:50 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

I don't really know what involved in hosting my own website. Can someone point me in the right directions?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: hosting a website [Re: funkymonk]
    #3931842 - 03/17/05 06:14 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

you need to probably buy a domain, namecheap.com has them for $8.88/year. You then need somewhere to host it, wich varies depending on what all you need, (storage space, monthly transfer, other misc stuff) and then something like frontpage or dreamweaver to make your page if you do not know html.

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

Invisiblefunkymonk
 User Gallery

Re: hosting a website [Re: tak]
    #3932008 - 03/17/05 06:54 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

I know all about the domain stuff, and the html and all that jazz. But how do I host my own?

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#3932170 - 03/17/05 07:23 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

well, if you want to host it from your home, download apache and installl it on your server. then call the place that registered your domain name and get the DNS from them. or, you could just use your ip as the server addy (like: http://xx.xx.xx.xx/). then assign a folder on your machine as the root http directory. on my computer it is \www.

do you use windows or linux?

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Invisiblefunkymonk
 User Gallery

Re: hosting a website [Re: automan]
    #3932399 - 03/17/05 08:03 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

windows :frown:
I'd like to buy a domain name, I'm building a server so I would like to host my site there...I'd also like to be able to keep track of what people are browsing, time spent on it etc...

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
    #3933588 - 03/18/05 12:49 AM (19 years, 15 days ago)

You can do that with apache :thumbup:

Namecheap is a great company, as well.

--------------------
delta9

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: hosting a website [Re: delta9]
    #3933701 - 03/18/05 01:44 AM (19 years, 14 days ago)

What would be a good server to buy? IBM?

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Re: hosting a website [Re: Jim]
    #3934013 - 03/18/05 03:53 AM (19 years, 14 days ago)

Personally, I'd build my own.

But uh, a lot of people / companies seem to be going Dell these days.  I'd support HP just because they are [were?] using linux internally :thumbup:

But you can seriously install *n?x on a PII and have a workable web server as long as you are willing to stick with CLI (or webmin *shudder*).  It's not like you will have the serving requirements of The Shroomery from the get go.

Also, namecheap has dynamic DNS, which is one reason why I like them.

--------------------
delta9

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: hosting a website [Re: Jim]
    #3935129 - 03/18/05 10:33 AM (19 years, 14 days ago)

my server is an amd k6-2 450mhz. it doesnt take much to run a server.

apache has logs that show the ip, date, time, and what the person did while viewing your server.

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #3935255 - 03/18/05 10:56 AM (19 years, 14 days ago)

>'m building a server so I would like to host my site there.

Depending on what you intend to do with the server, a hosted solution might be MUCH cheaper.

For instance www.topclasshost.com

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#3935272 - 03/18/05 11:00 AM (19 years, 14 days ago)

also, i run my server on a windows machine. programs you might want to install are: apache, mysql, ftp, maybe openSSL if you plan on taking orders; for support of programming scripts: php, myphpadmin, perl.

the first thing i installed in my windows server is WAMP: http://sourceforge.net/projects/wampserver/

everything is there to get some nice stuff up and running.

--------------------

Invisiblefunkymonk
 User Gallery

Re: hosting a website [Re: Anno]
    #3935741 - 03/18/05 12:47 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

I pretty much want it for stuff like automan. Basically just to learn.

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3935993 - 03/18/05 01:56 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

dont mean to jack the thread but i am also interested in this. im making a site about the area i live in and outdoor activity. what sort of speeds and such would you recomend for a site that is roughly 400 mb in total size? or is it more the internet connection than the server connection that helps load the site fast?

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Re: hosting a website [Re: kadakuda]
    #3936212 - 03/18/05 02:51 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

Funkymonk; if you want to LEARN something, I suggest installing *n?x.  It will help you on your journey away from winbloze :smile:

Kadakuda, many things come into play.  Firstly, the internet connection on the server side.  Next is client side internet connection.  Then, together, comes the site content and the browser used to view.  For example:

Let's say you have 768K DSL with 128K upload speed.  If a client on 56k dialup downloads any content from you, it will seem like normal to them because their max download is less than half your max upload.  If a client on a 1024K or greater line downloads your page, it may (depending on content) appear somewhat slow, because your max upload is only about a tenth of their max download.  If the client is using a text browser, they will download finished pages very quickly because it is all text and no images.  If your site has a large number of images and the client is using a graphical browser, it will take A LOT longer for the 56K user to get your page, and the 1024K user will probably notice that it is slower than many sites, but then again, maybe not if you're operating fully at your 128K upload.

So yeah, your upload, their download, your content, their browser matter.  Hope I cleared it up for you somewhat.

--------------------
delta9

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: hosting a website [Re: kadakuda]
    #3936319 - 03/18/05 03:18 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

yeah, if you are on dialup, its not even worth it. also be aware of the difference of upload and download with cable connections. i have a max 6meg down, but the most i seem to be able to get up is about 36k, which sux ass. one way to get around retardedly long loads is to break up your page into more subpages. also, resize your images and add 'click to enlarge image' types of things. dont use flash, etc.

through a little creativity, a slow page can be made much faster.

WINDOWS FOR LIFE!!! ' /me pokes delta9 with a stick. '

--------------------

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

#3936362 - 03/18/05 03:32 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

*pokes back with sarcasm*

YES!  Proprietary operating system software that is expensive, insecure, unstable, resource intensive, and everything else you WANT in a server, for life! :tongue:

:rolleyes:

Seriously, you're already using a bunch of open source software, I have no idea why you're stuck on windows :shrug:

--------------------
delta9

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #3936427 - 03/18/05 03:57 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

delta9 said:
This is called "distro evangelism". The topic poster asked a question about operating a specific application on a specific distrobution - he didn't ask your opinion on what you think is a better workstation distrobution; he doesn't appear to have a problem with his current one

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: hosting a website [Re: newuser1492]
    #3936459 - 03/18/05 04:09 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

Computer speed really doesnt matter if you wont be using it as a client too. If you will be using it for web browsing and other stuff, you might want something a little bit faster. Your main problem will be uplink to the internet. For a small webpage, i think dsl/cable will do, but another problem posed is that some ISP's block port 80 traffic, because they do not want you running a web server.

Zoneedit.com is a free DNS host. Register a domain from namecheap.com, register an account at zoneedit.com and point your domain to the nameservers they tell you to in the email, or webpage(do it via namecheap interface. Then when it all propogates, you will be able to change DNS on the fly, and use dynamic DNS if your IP changes often. You are allowed up to 10 domains per account. They will also forward email for the domain to any address you like.

They will also let you redirect your webpage to another page wich is usefull, like if your isp blocks port 80.

Set www.domain.com and domain.com to forward to http://www1.domain.com:880/ wich www1.domain.com is your computer, and users will not have to type a port when going to yourdomain.com, they will be redirected.

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Re: hosting a website [Re: newuser1492]
    #3936689 - 03/18/05 05:08 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

cb9fl said:
Quote:

delta9 said:
This is called "distro evangelism". The topic poster asked a question about operating a specific application on a specific distrobution - he didn't ask your opinion on what you think is a better workstation distrobution; he doesn't appear to have a problem with his current one

You're sour because of previous arguments we had.  I am not advocating a particular distro, am I, smarty?  I'm advocating a particular operating system - now shoo.  Please, please, please, get over it already :smile:

--------------------
delta9

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3937942 - 03/18/05 10:02 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

excellent thank you!  i would be using a separate compute to ONLY run this one website.  my provider has many many options for upload speeds and such, so its just basically how much i want to spend.  i am no web genius i just know the basics of web design so making things faster is going to be an ongoing thing.

here is a sample of the site i put up to show friends.

http://www.angelfire.com/bc3/islandforest

the full site will have in and around 1000 pages and be under half a gig, probably.  all the actual pictures (non site design things) are sized at a max of 700x whatever.  so they arnt usually over 250 kb each.  i am betting the navbar/logo will probably load kinda slow for people on 56 then eh?  i dont know what to do about this, i am completely against the use of forms :grin:  hate those things!!!

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Edited by kadakuda (03/18/05 10:07 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale