Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineheadset
Stranger
Help me buy a new computer..
    #3838865 - 02/26/05 08:24 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

As ive posted before, my computer is a piece of crap. Its come to the position where it randomly restalls at least every 10 minutes thus rendering it useless for anything important at all..

(case and point, this is the third time im typing this post.)

I dont need anything high tech - but use my computer for connecting with people/music/photoshop/typing/internet research... and maybe some programs like fruity loops.

80-160gb harddrive is fine - and a DVD burner would be nice...

Im looking to finance something from futureshop for under a grand (CPU) Besides the burner, i dont need any jazz - just front USB outputs, and good anti virus..

Perhaps ya'll could help me figure out what i need/what im looking for, and what i should spend.

Discuss Protecting my investment/extended warrenty/anti virus - and financing..

Supposedly 12 months 0 interest - so if i pay it off before 12 months it'll help my developing credit rating.. and i wont be charged extra. Experience with this?

This will be the last computer i buy in a couple years, so bumping up for some extra gimmicks might be worth it?

Edited by headset (02/26/05 08:28 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Help me buy a new computer.. [Re: headset]
    #3840776 - 02/27/05 10:46 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

buy a dell

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products...;l=en&s=dhs

only way to go if you want warranty/financing, seems to be a good deal imo

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#3841017 - 02/27/05 12:00 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I used to order computers from www.adamant.com . They cost a little more than the dell, but you can build them exactly the way you want them. Choose your tower, motherboard, everything.

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Help me buy a new computer.. [Re: Jim]
    #3841221 - 02/27/05 12:52 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I too am looking to buy a computer. But I was leaning towards Dell. Ram, have you had good experiences with them in the past?

I'm a bit short on cash right now and would probably skip the 3 year extended warranty, but I dont want to do this unless I know they're pretty reliable PC's.

Let mek now what you think of yours.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: Help me buy a new computer.. [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #3841630 - 02/27/05 02:23 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

DO NOT BY A FUCKING DELL.

Dell = worthless FUCKING GARBAGE. It's just like any other brand name product, BIG BRAND NAME ON THE OUTSIDE WITH GARBAGE PARTS INSIDE.

Do yourself a favor and build your own computer with good parts, have somebody help you if you don't know how.

InvisibleYrtlzmo
Female
. [Re: headset]
    #3841727 - 02/27/05 02:51 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Edited by Yrtlzmo (02/04/13 09:40 PM)

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Re: Help me buy a new computer.. [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3841731 - 02/27/05 02:53 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i agree dells are garbage, i have a computer that i built for about $400  ($650 if you include vid card/ PVR card/ and DL dvd/cd burner) anyway it's a celeron 2.6 with 512mb ram, cheap mobo, 80g hdd, and it surprised me how good it is as i leave it on all the time and use it tons for encoding/ripping/burning large video files. the nvidia graphic card has burnt out it's own fan but the computer is still fine.

we have dells in a lab where i work with a 3.0 pentium 4, 512mb DDR2 ram, SATA 120g hdd, dvd drive, and they suck balls. whenever we watch dvds on them they stutter and the picture is laggy (it uses 64mb intergrated graphics but so does mine since i took the graphic card out, mine plays dvds beautifully) i brought some dvd's full of music so i could listen at work and winamp was playing when i copied the files and it stuttered and died out almost instantly then the computer locked up. i've copied full music/data dvd to my computer while winamp was playing, bittorrent was running, 2 firewalls, soulseek, trillian, and browsing the web and it has never locked up though sometimes it will get real slow, it's never unbearable. it always baffles me as to why my computer outperforms those so much. they must really use shit parts as my computer is pretty cheap. the hdd on the work computers are really clean as well while i have tons of programs, music, videos on mine :shrug:

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Invisible4bin
Sofa Gazer

Loc: 46 & 2
Re: Help me buy a new computer.. [Re: John]
    #3843285 - 02/27/05 07:37 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, Dell's are total garbage. As far as the "impressive specs" they sport, don't be fooled. They degrade really quickly due to low quality parts.

If you really want a great machine for under a grand, build it yourself. Check out Tiger Direct online. They have a lot of good components. If either madtown or headset need more advice, or if either of you are really serious about ordering something, PM me. I'll help as much as I can.

--------------------
I grow legal edibles only. Fresh Shiitake are the bee's knees - like, straight from the fridge.

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#3843558 - 02/27/05 08:14 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

these people build custom computers. they dont have much content on their site, but if you use the feedback form in Contact, they will get in touch with you pretty quick and work with you to design a great system.

they also do financing with a down payment.

http://www.musiccitymobile.com

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Help me buy a new computer.. [Re: automan]
    #3847389 - 02/28/05 03:24 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

You people bitch a lot about dells, the thing is they use 3rd party parts, no better than what most of you have in your computers. I repair comps for a living and if your gonna buy from a company dell is the way to go. If you can build yourself then by all means do. But a full 1 year warranty with financing options isn't a bad deal.

And for the 1 grand he gets a nice 19 inch lcd. 3.06 pentium 512 mb ram dual channel and a dvd burner. Attempt to put something like that together on your own with a 3 year warranty. Sure you can get close to it if you build yourself, but if you just want a comp that will work buy a dell.

I however do recommend reformatting that comp as soon as it arrives to remove all the garbage software they load on it.

Check out Tiger Direct online.
Tigerdirect is notorious for screwing customers go check there resellerratings. My friend got a bad hd from them took 6 MONTHS to get a new one GL with them

Edited by Ramlaen (02/28/05 03:25 PM)

Invisible4bin
Sofa Gazer

Loc: 46 & 2
Re: Help me buy a new computer.. [Re: Ramlaen]
    #3847492 - 02/28/05 03:45 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Never had problem with Tiger Direct, so I can't comment.

As far as the Dell thing goes, I've had a Dell, a Mac, and a self built (linux). The Dell is at the bottom of the pile, with the mac and the self-built both being way better. Never had to have anyone repair the Mac or the self-built. The dell was sent off for repairs three times in the one year I had it. It is now in an art project my fiancee put together from found parts.

All that I can speak from is personal experience. I am not an expert. Maybe you want to listen to Ramlaen, he appears to know what he's talking about. Maybe my Dell just came from a bad batch.

--------------------
I grow legal edibles only. Fresh Shiitake are the bee's knees - like, straight from the fridge.

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Help me buy a new computer.. [Re: 4bin]
    #3848945 - 02/28/05 08:10 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Don't get me wrong i'd never buy a dell personally. I enjoy building pc's and modding them etc for a hobby. But if your gonna buy a manufactured PC, you just can't beat their prices. If you have some time/patience, and extra cash feel free to start a project and DYI. Otherwise you can't get a better deal elsewhere. Building a pc is extremely easy no wa days i'll gladly guide anyone who needs help. But if your not into that stuff, a dell will serve those needs fine.

The majority of computer problems today are software related, and user generated. Most hardware is similiar in selfbuilt or dells. If you ever open your dell up you'll see samsung/kingston ram, and intel or abit motherboards or seagate/maxtor hard drives. All brand name stuff, dell doesn't manufacture its own products it buys in bulk. There is nothing wrong with them. People however do enjoy trashing their products, just as people trash microsoft. Both good products, but the geeks of the world dispise them. For the average joe a Dell pc is where its at. If you want a new hobby and enjoy learning build your own.

Offlineheadset
Stranger
Re: Help me buy a new computer.. [Re: Ramlaen]
    #3849380 - 02/28/05 09:57 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Alright, well financing is out since i have no past credit rating -

For $1105 all inclusive with a 3 year warrenty for the CPU only.. (canadian)

AMD Athelon XP computer
3200+ processor
512MB DDR memory
200GB 7200 RPM harddrive
8x Layer drive
Integrated graphics/w open AGP
Iee 1394 + 100/100 Nic
Image zone plus

Hows it sound?.. too much for my needs, but i need something competant, im so dependant on it for so many resources... and i just sold my bass amp so its not that big of a threat.. even tho im trying to save.

Please chime in. Am i about to get ripped?

Im hesitant to build because of price, and lack of knowledge..

Offlineheadset
Stranger
    #3854405 - 03/01/05 09:02 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Bump - opinions. Alot of people around here seem to think id be getting off pretty good with that price.

4bit is leaning me toward a mac...

ah, rushing. :s

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#3854434 - 03/01/05 09:09 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

how about this for the same price:

Lian Li Black Mid-Tower Case
AMD Athlon XP 3200+ "Barton", 400MHz FSB, 512K Cache Processor
ATI RADEON 9200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, TV-Out, 8X AGP
425W ATX12V Power Supply (80,000 hour power supply!)
512MB DDR Ram (motherboard supports 3gig)
Maxtor Ultra Series Kit 200GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive
16X, DVD Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive

the motherboard specs are:
RAM: 3x 184-pin DIMM for DDR 400/333/266 (Max. 3GB)
IDE: 2x UDMA 133 up to 4 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 8X/4X, 5x PCI
Ports: 2x PS/2, 2x COM, 1x LPT, 8x USB2.0(Rear 4), 1x LAN, Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: 5.1 channel AC97 (VIA)
Onboard LAN: Integrated Fast Ethernet (10/100) MAC + PHY
Onboard SATA/RAID: 2x SATA150, RAID 0/1/0+1

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Offlinepshawny
Mycobian
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomery
    #3854557 - 03/01/05 09:39 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Help me buy a new computer.. [Re: pshawny]
    #3855780 - 03/02/05 04:23 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Don't buy an Athlon xp, buy a amd64 socket 754. YOu'll be much happier in the future cost wise it shouldnt' be much different. Price wise those processors are the same and the motherboard should also be the same price. I get a board + an amd64 3000(which is much better than the processor you quoted) for 150 shipped and those athlons you have there went up stupidly in price. If you want i can find a board/cpu combo.

Edited by Ramlaen (03/02/05 04:25 AM)

Offlineheadset
Stranger
Re: Help me buy a new computer.. [Re: automan]
    #3857009 - 03/02/05 11:37 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

It sounds good, just sketchy via distance for the initial purchase and future warrenty.

Sorry about Pm's the other nite, irc didnt work on my friends computer and i had to go home and go to bed.

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
    #3867062 - 03/04/05 09:09 AM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Don't by XP, and Don't buy socket 754, they are both out of production.

I would go Sempron.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order