Home | Community | Message Board

Fairy Ring Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
IRC Whore
 User Gallery
Loc: Arizona
Fantasy Football - Victory Can Be Sweet
    #3601099 - 01/09/05 01:13 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

So, earlier on in 2004, my boss at work asked me if I wanted to join a fantasy football league.  For those not familiar with it, a basic guide is available  here .  The way our league is run is we had a live draft, we all got together and picked our teams and drank and smoked... all said and done took about 6 hours; we had 12 people, and 10 had never done a live draft, and 4 had never been in a fantasy league before.  My team ended up thusly, in parentheses is their team and the round I drafted them:

QB1: Marc Bulger (STL, 3)
QB2: Jake Delhomme (CAR, 9)
QB3: Kurt Warner (NYG, 15)
RB1: LaDainian Tomlinson (SD, 1)
RB2: Curtis Martin (NYJ, 4, I was drunk and thought he was a WR, oops)
RB3: Tiki Barber (NYG, 2)
RB4: Amos Zereoue (OAK, 12)
WR1: Keenan McCardell (TB at the time, 6)
WR2: Muhsin Muhammad (CAR, 8)
WR3: Peter Warrick (CIN, 11)
WR4: Anquan Boldin (ARI, 14)
WR5: Michael Clayton (TB, waivers)
TE1: Boo Williams (NO, 10)
D1: Baltimore Ravens (5)
D2: Buffalo Bills (13)
K1: David Akers (PHI, 7)

My record this season ended up at 9-4, beating my direct boss twice.  The league coordinator won my division, and I played him the first round of the playoffs (out of 2 rounds).  The box score is here.  Basically, Priest was out, his receiving corps didn't show up, and his major waiver wire pick, Reuben Droughns (DEN) didn't have much of a game -- this guy put up 130 points three weeks in a row with Priest Holmes, Droughns, Terrell Owens, and Marvin Harrison, whom he got in a VERY unethical trade that went through too quickly to veto.

I beat him, and I went into the finals, against my boss.  I was a bit worried, especially the last week, since I knew Tomlinson would be sitting, as the last game of the season didn't matter for them.  But, my team showed up... more than my boss's did.  Scores are  here .  Ended up beating him pretty soundly.  "Raping him" is a bit more appropo of a term.  Won $300.  I did the only thing you should ever do with won money -- spend it on drugs!!!!

Ripple, you better be careful in June in Ohio (if they're gone by then I won't be alive for it)!

I had a couple thoughts about the season as it went... Anquan Boldin never showed up the way I wanted him to.  He was hurt the first half of the season and was expected to perform fairly well, and did, but just not the way I was hoping, I guess.  Peter Warrick flat out sucked and then got injured.  Michael Clayton was a godsend in the later games and postseson, as was Muhsin Muhammad and Jake Delhomme.  Oh thank you, for such a pairing.  Marc Bulger had consistently good numbers all year; I couldn't ask for a better producer.  And phreeow, how bout my running corps?  The entire season, I've had the #1, #3, and #4 scoring RBs in our fantasy league (Barber, Martin, Tomlinson), but I had a screwed receiving corps until Muhammad and Clayton started putting up numbers.  Akers sucked ass the last 1/3 of the season.  Asshole.  Baltimore's D never disappointed, except against Pittsburgh, but I don't count that a disappointment because I didn't expect anything :smile:

A beautiful season, to say the least, and can't wait for the NCAA Championship Tournament pick'em we're doing!  I don't actually like sports that much, is the funny thing.  Fantasy football's more about number crunching and shit-talking than it is about football as far as I'm concerned :wink:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub