Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Comet Macholz a near miss ?
    #3593854 - 01/07/05 03:50 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Well in astronomical terms it is .34 astronomical miles or aprox. 32-34 million miles away from Earth .

Not sure who may or may not be interested but ...

A comet discovered only last August has brightened to naked-eye visibility in dark skies. Comet Machholz, a.k.a. c/2004 Q2, will be visible the entire month of January for Northern Hemisphere observers as a moderately bright fuzz-ball winding its way high in the sky through the constellations Taurus and Perseus . Looming at a respectable 4th magnitude all month ? and possibly slightly brighter ? the icy interloper should make a fine target in binoculars or a telescope. It will be easiest to see when the Moon is new or in its minimal phases.

For a special treat, look for Comet Machholz on the night of January 7th-8th. You'll find it poised just 2 degrees west of the Pleiades star cluster, which should make a pretty sight in binoculars.

Photographs of the comet taken in mid-December show a prominent head, or coma, and a faint but broad tail.

Comet Machholz is the tenth comet discovered by Donald Machholz of Colfax, California. He used an old 6" reflector telescope from the back deck of his house in the early morning darkness of August 27th, 2004.

Hey, with just a modest telescope, a sharp eye, and a little patience (Machholz averages about 700 hours of searching for each comet discovery!), maybe the next comet could have YOUR name on it!

For maps of where and how to find the comet , simply do a search for the comet by name or go to Sky & Telescopes web site , or ORION telescope company .

Happy viewing and keep your eyes looking in the skies , you never know what you might see

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
Re: Comet Macholz a near miss ? [Re: tripndicular]
    #3593967 - 01/07/05 04:15 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Nice. If I get a break in the cloudy weather we've been having I might try to get some pictures of it. I got a few decent shots of Hayakutake (sp?) in '96 and Hale-Bopp in '97.

Comet Hale-Bopp
March '97
Ryholite, NV.

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Comet Macholz a near miss ? [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #3594369 - 01/07/05 05:55 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

thats a great picture summit

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Comet Macholz a near miss ? [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #3598290 - 01/08/05 02:22 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Nice pic , is that damaged building in the foreground real ?

I am bummed , it is so cloudy here it is a waste of time to set up my telescope , it would have been awesome to see a comet streaking by the 7 Sisters(Pleiades) all in one frame . Looks like weather here is gonna F up the view all weekend .
Thanks for stopping in and sharing that cool pic of Bop , and showing interest in the new found Machholz Comet .
If you do have a telescope , now is time to get some great views of Saturn , the rings are turned full on toward us right now , and will make for some very dramatic pics .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
    #3598370 - 01/08/05 02:39 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, the building in the picture is real.  Its a ghost town near Beatty, Nevada.  There is no doctoring done to the picture.

It is kinda grainy though for 2 reasons.  First, I was using an 800 speed film which is a little grainy to start with.  Second, that image is actually cropped from a small portion of a 35mm photograph.  The picture was taken with a 50mm lens.  In the original you can see the whole building.  I took several variations of the same picture.

As for the Machholz comet....still nothing but cloudy skies here. :sad:

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
    #3598425 - 01/08/05 02:55 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

The sky is totally overcast here.....sucks!

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Comet Macholz a near miss ? [Re: Ripple]
    #3598444 - 01/08/05 03:00 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Figuers , we go for years in a drought condition , and when there is something cool to see for us stargazers , shit weather and or obstructed views due to atmosphere bouncing light around .
Even bought a wide view lens for it , and it sits snuggly in the box it came in  :sad:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub