Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejent
enchanted wizardof rhythm
Design/Plans for glovebox/fruiting chamber **PICS**
    #3550270 - 12/27/04 08:41 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hi,
I am working on plans for a grow box and a glove chamber in one. here are a couple crude drawings. I want to get rid of perlite for a sonic humidifer. On the right side I will have a chamber with three dividers for water collection. The bottom will not be sealed from the 3 chambers so I can use only one drain plug. In the drawings the plug is on the bottom but in reality it will be on the side. Also air will release at the top of the chamber not the bottom like one drawing suggest. The cakes will sit on a fine screen so they are not just sitting on plastic. The top will be a sepeate chamber with a door on the bottom to get to the humid area and a door on the top for glove work and putting things in. The gfoves will be sealed to the chamber. Most likely made out of plexy glass with silocone to hold it together. Any thoughts? Tips?

Sorry for the bad drawings, ask me if you don't understand anything.

--------------------
the jent

Edited by jent (12/28/04 01:27 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePorchMonkey321
Mycophile

Re: Design/Plans for glovebox/fruiting chamber [Re: jent]
    #3551430 - 12/28/04 01:00 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Not bad, I'm doing a similar project myself. However, I do have a few suggestions for you. First, consider having your exhaust vent toward the bottom of the chamber, as CO2 is heavier than oxygen and will escape easier if the vent is low in the chamber. Fresh air in from the top and stale out from the bottom. Also, it looks like its a tight squeeze from the top working chamber to the growing chamber, so you might want to put another pair of gloves on the bottom chamber so that you can work with your grow without ever opening the chamber, Just my .02, good luck with the box and make sure to post some pics when you're done, I'd love to see it.

Offlinejent
enchanted wizardof rhythm
Re: Design/Plans for glovebox/fruiting chamber [Re: PorchMonkey321]
    #3552558 - 12/28/04 01:14 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I went into a simple CAD program and made a better image. I took some advice from PorceMonkey

How does all this look to you guys now

I havent redone the side image because the only thing that changed was a valve on the side instead of a drain plug on the bottom. I really would apreciate some more input....Is it alright to set the cakes on the screen? Is there a better option?

--------------------
the jent

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: Design/Plans for glovebox/fruiting chamber [Re: jent]
    #3552857 - 12/28/04 02:28 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I just got a $100.00 check in the mail, should be cahsed shortly...

I will post my version of my collapsable glovebox. Mind you, it isn't cheap... but within $100.00! You really don't want to skimp too mutch on stuff like this. Cardboard boxes and CPU fans only do so much! Mostly just adding contamination, and they look ugly!

The only part that is actually expensive on my box/stand is the hepa-blower, which cost about $60.00. But I can remove it, and use it when it isn't in the box, so it is practical... Without endangering the contents of the clean-box, (Too much).

So far that looks great! I would reccomend getting those prefab shelves that home-depo sells. They are already vinyl laminated and cut to 12", 14", 16", and 18"... Up to 5 feet long, but 3 and 4 feet is all you need! Only invest in lexan for the viewing window, use painters plastic drop shrouds for the rest. It is cheap and disposable. If you want to save more money, get a light shroud for a "Drop-cieling", just seal the holes, and put a filter where the light diffuser usually goes!

Sorry, I hang out a lot at www.plantedtank.net forums... we do a lot of DIY stuff there! But they are mostly trying to get what we are trying to get rid of... Funny... We don't want CO2, they buy it... We want mushrooms, they try and eradicate them...

It isn't only fishtanks, it is terrariums, vivariums, etc...

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Re: Design/Plans for glovebox/fruiting chamber [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3552911 - 12/28/04 02:40 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

One more suggestion, it always scares me to see doors that "Swing" open. make a slide door to avoid the "Swoosh" form opening the door... I don't care if it is pressurized, one swosh has more power than any fan, and turbulance will suck contams inside. Actually, a slitted double off-set skirt would almost be better.

Two sheets with long slits going up-down, about 1" apart. One sheet is offset by 1/2" of the other one, so that the slits don't line up. Giving you a better seal when not passing items through it.

Sorry again, I had this argument with my boss about our clean-room design. They went cheap and decided to keep an existing door from the clean-entrance duster-room, to the actual clean-room... They couldn't figure out why the particle count kept failing... (Morons) After they spent thousands of dollars re-inspecting the air system... these geniouses decided it was the $50.00 door that they kept, swooshing open every time you went back and forth! It has since been replaced with a breating slide door! (Like I said in the first place!)

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Re: Design/Plans for glovebox/fruiting chamber [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3552950 - 12/28/04 02:47 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I would also make the whole front floor of your glovebox area, be able to slide back against the wall. Like he said, for more front access to the cakes. (Instead of the center access hole.) Like an icecream cooler, except sideways... door would push back, not left or right.

Make a double kicker... use the same hole that drains water to also darin the excess air. If it is a filtered plug, it shouldn't hurt.

Cardboard is GREAT for this stage... experiment use only... Do not design cardboard into your final design... (Don't laugh, I see it all the time. Cardboard even comes with it's own infections, Mr. Staph!)

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Edited by LaughingJim (12/28/04 02:49 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix