Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethedman
I am the coyote
 User Gallery
Loc: out of this world
cold growing cubensis
    #3541520 - 12/25/04 03:37 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I live in south TX. and its pretty cold here now just a couple weeks agoi found a good amount of cubensis growing nice,fat and healthy ones humidity was way low as was dew point day temps 60,s and night temps 40,s yet caps were nice,are these good mushrooms to print or is this the norm, no other fields had any at the time any one think this is different a good cold weather strain?

--------------------
Got to bag em up!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: cold growing cubensis [Re: thedman]
    #3541547 - 12/25/04 04:03 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

No. It's the same mushroom you've been picking all year.

Offlinethedman
I am the coyote
 User Gallery
Re: cold growing cubensis [Re: Gumby]
    #3541578 - 12/25/04 04:49 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

just thought it was odd because i shroom three other fields around the area,and they stoped producing fruits as soon as night temps dipped below 60, and air has been verey dry, quess the cubensis in this field are normal just seemed to me they were growing in extreme conditions, thought it might have been a hardy bunch to cultivate i might take prints anyway just cause.

--------------------
Got to bag em up!

Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
Loc: Pinellas Co, FL
    #3542211 - 12/25/04 02:04 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not trying to correct anyone but sometimes new strains develop maybe just spontaneously, maybe adaption to environmental changes or new environment...who knows?.

There is a 100% chance you may have found a new strain but it is not likely. I would suggest taking prints just in case. It's better than regretting it later.

congrats btw, on finding any in those conditions!

InvisibleYrtlzmo
Female
. [Re: wandrnshaman]
    #3542582 - 12/25/04 06:11 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Edited by Yrtlzmo (02/07/13 06:50 AM)

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: cold growing cubensis [Re: Yrtlzmo]
    #3542614 - 12/25/04 06:28 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

There is no signifigance in strains anyway. What's the big deal?

Psilocybe cubensis will always be just Psilocybe cubensis. No matter where, when, or how it was found.. it's just Psilocybe cubensis.

Invisiblemrhowdy
I've been Insane
 User Gallery
Loc: I've Been Insane
    #3543010 - 12/25/04 09:03 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

ive been looking for mushrooms in the valley but i havnt been able to find any becuase of all these cold fronts

Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
Re: cold growing cubensis [Re: Yrtlzmo]
    #3543404 - 12/25/04 11:34 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Yrtlzmo said:
100% chance he may have found a new strain, but it's not likely? I don't think 100% is the percentage you're looking for.

Um, there is a 100% possibility he may or may not have found a new strain...Sorry if I got a little deep up there. :smile:

Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
    #3543407 - 12/25/04 11:35 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:
There is no signifigance in strains anyway. What's the big deal?

Psilocybe cubensis will always be just Psilocybe cubensis. No matter where, when, or how it was found.. it's just Psilocybe cubensis.

Aren't there variables in growth parameters of various strains?

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #3543411 - 12/25/04 11:37 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:
There is no significance in strains anyway. What's the big deal?

Kind of, but not really. Clearly some 'strains' of PC will perform differently. I imagine an outdoor strain cultivated to with-stain cold temps done by a professional of mycology could return some astounding effects on how low of tempos cubes could fruit in... Is this not the idea behind vendor 'strains'? I mean, a lot of noobs buy spores that sound cool... but sometimes, lets say for example people who live in the gulf coast might try to grow the 'gulf coast' strain, because it is akin with genes to that specific area.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: cold growing cubensis [Re: wandrnshaman]
    #3544114 - 12/26/04 12:13 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

A particular point of interest regarding this alledged cold weather strains of cubensis from Florida to Texas..

First it takes four to six weeks for the manure to decompose before the shrooms fruit in the wild.

So the mycellium was already growing in the grass or in the manure for some time before they fruited. They just happen to come up after a particular frost or light freeze and then popped up. They were not growing in a cold environment for 4 to 6 weeks, prior to fruiting. Basically, young new mycelia would not standd the cold temperatures in the early stages of growth and developpment. Yet if it is already near fruiting time, then a crop could still appear if there is a short cold frost int he morning due.

ALso, the potency varies from one to ten and was proven in a paper by Bigwood and Beug or Beug and Bigwood. They published two papers on fruitings and potency levels of cubes and other species in the early 1980s. I posted those papers here so someone would need to look them up to find them.

If certain tryptamines are added to a liquid culture, then Gartz was the one who proved that it increased the potency of the shrooms. Of course, 99% of shroomerites have no legal access to tryptamine compounds to do such a study.
\
And again the potency can vary from 1 to 5 dried grams or half a fresh ounce to more than whole ounce fresh.

It is still one of the weakest of the psilocybian species. Its popularitym as a simple cultivar is due to the writings of the McKenna Brothers because it is the easiest of the psilocybian mushrooms to grow.

mj

have a happy season to all

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: cold growing cubensis [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3544141 - 12/26/04 12:34 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

interesting notes, mjshroomer

Offlinethedman
I am the coyote
 User Gallery
Re: cold growing cubensis [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #3545582 - 12/26/04 08:14 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

well it just seemed strange to me that these shrooms were thriving in mid dec.I have been shrooming for three seasons in numerus fields,and have never found cubes in such temps or this late in the year,even last week we went and broke open some dung to find a good amount of live mycelium and I found about five fat fresh little pins, hasent rained since I dont know when.temps never got above 50,and it frooze twice out side.I suppose though as I shroom more year after year I might find this common it just kind of controdicts the standards for cubensis growth, Im pretty positive there is nothing growing as of this date, been freezing for the past five nights even snowed south of here,but you never know hehe....No,to dambed cold not even goona waste my time.

--------------------
Got to bag em up!

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: cold growing cubensis [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3546191 - 12/26/04 11:20 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

wow, very informative.

I see your point about how the mushroom was not growing for 4-6 weeks in the cold..But is this to say that some cold resistant genes will not be in the cold weather fruits? Has anyone ever tried to find the 'master strain'? I am sure they have.

From what I gather, the studies say cold weather mushrooms are more potent? It was unclear how much more, any guess on percentage?

Offlinethedman
I am the coyote
 User Gallery
Re: cold growing cubensis [Re: 2Experimental]
    #3546364 - 12/27/04 12:03 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

how does cold weather effect potency?

--------------------
Got to bag em up!

OfflineMeatSpace
Waxer of unicorn butthole
 User Gallery

Loc: Deep inside your ass
Re: cold growing cubensis [Re: thedman] * 1
    #3546715 - 12/27/04 02:20 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

That's very interesting, please keep this thread updated. :thanx:

--------------------
:crankey:
/    l    \__:thumbup: ... Hi, I'm Crankey, and I approve this message.

Offlinethedman
I am the coyote
 User Gallery
Re: cold growing cubensis [Re: MeatSpace]
    #3546834 - 12/27/04 03:37 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I do think alot of factors come into play in the wild,in the cow field, even though it is an isolated enviroment one part of the field may have more nutes. some parts of the field may have trees that provide leaf litter and a more complex supply of foods and provide shade in the summer and less intence light.But what is strange is how cubesis are said to be tropical mushrooms yet I find these in non tropical conditions.So if it may be true that a cold growing PC is more potent maybe it would be wise for me to cultivate these mushrooms lets say on rye grain,with consistant potencey and test it the old fasion way mouth to mind. Now i can also see an atvatage for the every day grower its posible that in incubation you would not need any heating pads or any of that sort of thing, maybe making it low maintnents and for some they cold grow it indoors if they live in a very cold climate maybe in A closet with little to no heating source when fruiting saving electricity prehaps,not that electricity is a big problem when growing fungus just some of my opinions and observations and I like get other points of view maybe give a little bit of facts.And what if i cultivate these,even if they are potent a little more than some,if it has to do with cold weather or not I could win both ways I think I will try to grow some, take prints in the early spring if only just for me and friends.

--------------------
Got to bag em up!

Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
    #3548518 - 12/27/04 03:00 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

No, 'cold weather cubes' do not inply a new strain has developed that prefers colder conditions and yields more alkaloids; alledgedly cold weather simply increases potency within the strain.

If you want to play with that hypothesis, grow an established strain in less thermal conditions. You may want to work with a control group from the same batch under what is considered to be optimal growing conditions and compare results of the 2.

There's a thread in this forum on Kansas cubes. Do a search on kansas cubes if you want more info on that and see lots of good photos of them, even growing in the snow.

Like I said earlier, there is always a chance of discovering something no one has noticed before like a new strain. It's not likely but do your homework and keep looking, you may surprise us.

Oh, I wanted to mention compost gives off heat as it decomposes. This could attribute the growth of what you've found too.

Offlinethedman
I am the coyote
 User Gallery
Re: cold growing cubensis [Re: wandrnshaman]
    #3548939 - 12/27/04 04:38 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Ya i have seen those Kansas cubes. thats astounding, A much more unique find, its realy amazing how they can adapt.I enjoy all the knolige beeing shared I have just recently come here and have learned so much so far,keep it going.

--------------------
Got to bag em up!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck