Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Who has the literature that reports an OD at the Mckenna conference?
    #3532650 - 12/22/04 05:26 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I think there's a couple books that talk briefly about a mushroom conference that included the McKenna brothers, Weil, perhaps Gartz and others - and anyway, one of 'em overdose and had to be rushed to the hospital. If anyone has the paragraphs can you quote them. They are needed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

Re: Who has the literature that reports an OD at the Mckenna conference? [Re: World Spirit]
    #3532740 - 12/22/04 05:59 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Me, because I'm cool like that

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/lsd/books/bel3.htm
Chapter 12

Quote:

There were few people on the ranch at the time: Griggs, his wife, another of the original Brothers and his girlfriend. The couples were living in two tepees on either side of the ridge above the ranch. The two men decided to test the psilocybin which Sand had brought from Switzerland. After swallowing some crystals, Griggs went to his own tepee. Twenty minutes later, he yelled from the door: 'Don't take the stuff. Don't take this psilocybin. It's a complete overdose.'
It was dark now and the other man called back something.
'If you want to get high, take acid, throw the psilocybin away. Don't take it,' Griggs shouted again.
About half an hour later, the other man, who had turned to LSD instead, walked over to Griggs' tepee. The Brotherhood founder was seriously ill, but he refused any suggestion of going to hospital. 'I don't want to go and be busted for being loaded,' he said. 'It's just between me and God, and that's the way it's going to be.' The Brother went back to his own tepee.
But as the night wore on, Griggs became progressively worse. His wife could not bear it any longer. It was agreed he would have to go to hospital now. He was carried into the emergency room in the arms of the Brother who had been with him on the ridge. As the door closed behind them, Griggs shivered and died on the morning of 4 August. The psilocybin must have been pure and Griggs had widely miscalculated the dose, victim of the firm Brotherhood principle of taking as much as possible of any psychedelic.
Lynd, hundreds of miles away at his Oregon home, was under the influence of 1,000 micrograms of Orange Sunshine at the time of Griggs' death. He had a sudden vision of his friend lying on the ground; he sensed a searing pain, followed by an equally terrifying stillness. It took him twenty-four hours to get back to Southern California, where a distraught Randall told him that Griggs had died.

--------------------

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Who has the literature that reports an OD at the Mckenna conference? [Re: jux]
    #3532879 - 12/22/04 06:35 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I've never read that before.

Interesting, but I was actually referring to a much different MUSHROOM CONFERENCE.

Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

Re: Who has the literature that reports an OD at the Mckenna conference? [Re: World Spirit]
    #3532936 - 12/22/04 06:45 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

hmmm ... nope, that's all I got. oh well

--------------------

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Who has the literature that reports an OD at the Mckenna conference? [Re: jux]
    #3533046 - 12/22/04 07:17 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

THanks anyway though, friend. 

:sun: :sun: :sun: :heart: :heart: :heart: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
    #3533215 - 12/22/04 08:00 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

yeah i dont think its possible to overdose on the actual shrooms.

you would have to have a synth of it.

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Who has the literature that reports an OD at the Mckenna conference? [Re: Vulture]
    #3533270 - 12/22/04 08:15 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yes it is indeed possible. You can practically OD on almost anything.

Here's the dictionary definition of OD:

6 entries found for overdose.
o?ver?dose Audio pronunciation of "overdose" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (vr-ds)
n.

An excessive dose, especially of a narcotic.

v. o?ver?dosed, o?ver?dos?ing, o?ver?dos?es (vr-ds)
v. intr.

To take an overdose.

v. tr.

To administer too large a dose or too many doses to.

[Download or Buy Now]
Source: The American Heritage? Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright ? 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

o?ver?dose (vr-ds)
n.

An excessive dose, especially of a narcotic.

Source: The American Heritage? Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Copyright ? 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Main Entry: 2over?dose
Pronunciation: "O-v&r-'dOs
Function: verb
Inflected Forms: -dosed; -dos?ing
transitive senses
: to give an overdose or too many doses to intransitive senses
: to take an overdose

Source: Merriam-Webster Medical Dictionary, ? 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

Main Entry: 1over?dose
Pronunciation: 'O-v&r-"dOs
Function: noun
: too great a dose (as of a therapeutic agent) <an overdose of exposure to the sun ?Morris Fishbein>; also : a lethal or toxic amount (as of a drug)

Source: Merriam-Webster Medical Dictionary, ? 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

overdose

v : dose too heavily; "The rock star overdosed and was found dead in his hotel room" [syn: o.d.]

Source: WordNet ? 2.0, ? 2003 Princeton University

InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
    #3533409 - 12/22/04 08:51 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

He meant a fatal/nearly fatal OD, not taking more than you can handle.....which with shrooms (not synth. psilocybin) is impossible.

--------------------

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Who has the literature that reports an OD at the Mckenna conference? [Re: Dark_Star]
    #3533457 - 12/22/04 09:05 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

It is not impossible to die from psilocybin overuse, although, as you said it is almost impossible. It has probably never happened and never will happen.

However, anyone can certainly take too much and have too strong of an experience, potentially leading to physical and mental issues.

InvisibleDark_Star
Male User Gallery

#3533483 - 12/22/04 09:11 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I didn't mean psilocybin, I meant shrooms themselves, you would have to eat more then your body weight to die from shrooms......and that is impossible.

--------------------

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: Who has the literature that reports an OD at the Mckenna conference? [Re: Dark_Star]
    #3534626 - 12/23/04 01:47 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

damn i wish i could find the link to the place i read this. but it was done in a study with rats and after all the math the LD50 for a 130lb person was somewhere around 20 pounds of shrooms. nobody in the world can hold 20 pounds of food in there stomach. so no you cant die from shrooms, extract-possible. but i cant remember if that study was done with fresh or dried shrooms i will assume dried. but still even if it was done with fresh shrooms then that means you would have to eat 2 pounds of dried shrooms, still an insane difficult task to accomplish. so far the record that i know about is 315g fresh. the guy did a whole trip report on it and it was amazing. but still i am siding with darkstar on this one, you cant die from mushies. unless of course you eat poisonous mushies or some crazy mold grew on them.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

OfflineWeeZle0110
weezle
 User Gallery

Re: Who has the literature that reports an OD at the Mckenna conference? [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3534874 - 12/23/04 05:05 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

ive read the same thing as lemon and it is impossible to LD on mushrooms. I cant remember the weight i though it was like a pound or 3 but youd have to be realy realy hungry to eat 3 lbs of dried mushrooms. Im pretty sure they did that with dried mushrooms lemon.

--------------------
"The acid had shifted gears on him; the next phase would probably be one of those hellishly intense introspective nightmares. Four hours or so of catatonic despair; but nothing physical, nothing dangerous". But I'm going to hold on to this mace for a while. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Hunter S. Thompson

InvisibleDark_Star
Male User Gallery

Re: Who has the literature that reports an OD at the Mckenna conference? [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3537121 - 12/23/04 07:21 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I thought he did 420g fresh....either way that is a huge fucking dose. Kudos to supernova and his balls of steel!  :bow: :laugh:

--------------------

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
    #3537438 - 12/23/04 08:33 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

He certainly didn't eat as much psilocybin crystal as the amount of PSB his body weight in mushrooms would contain. Assuming he was an average build person,

75 000(g) X 0,5% = 375(g)

Either he had an allergic reaction or the body weight thing is a myth.
I suspect some of the 'psilocybin - not toxic' speach is very exagerated. I bet 5-10g of PSB would easily kill someone.

And i doubt someone with the slightest bit of intelligence and information would eat more than 1/2g of PSB. Heck, I would never consider eating 100mg.He probably just had an allergic reaction or the stuff wasn't really psilocybin.

InvisibleDark_Star
Male User Gallery

Re: Who has the literature that reports an OD at the Mckenna conference? [Re: esin]
    #3537580 - 12/23/04 09:28 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

He was the founder of BEL......they ate shitloads of raw crystal LSD.....he probably thought he could do the same with psilocybin.  :shrug:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag