Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
Got Robbed (electronically)
    #3522391 - 12/19/04 09:28 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

So I had 150 bucks in an E-gold account, and when I went to check my balance yesterday, I had 1 dollar.  I checked the history, and it says I transferred 149 to some guy named "richard".

What the fuck? I've never replied to emails requesting personal info, claiming to be E-Gold or anything...

To access an account, you need your password and your account #. (obviously).  I have a firewall and all that shit, so I doubt some random guy put a keylogger on my comp...

E-Gold also states that after a transaction takes place, there is NOTHING they can do to reverse it.  FUCK!!!!

I'm still waiting on an Email I sent to them, but do you guys think I'm screwed permanently out of my $$$

:evil:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSkunk420
 User Gallery

Loc: inside
Re: Got Robbed (electronically) [Re: Boom]
    #3522422 - 12/19/04 09:34 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

OMG how did they get your number? that is messed up big time..

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Re: Got Robbed (electronically) [Re: Skunk420]
    #3522445 - 12/19/04 09:37 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I have no idea, I'm just so pissed that this could happen.  Theres a record with exactly what account and what user has my money, and theres nothing I can do.  :cuss:

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Got Robbed (electronically) [Re: Boom]
    #3522471 - 12/19/04 09:45 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry to hear that. That would truly suck. This is why I don't use services like this for internet purchases. A credit card is good for all tranactions, and if someone steals your identity and purchases something, you're not liable for very much (around $50 for most CC's) Of course, you have to keep a sharp eye on your account balance, but it sure beats these services like E-Gold or Paypal...

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
Re: Got Robbed (electronically) [Re: Le_Canard]
    #3522857 - 12/20/04 12:05 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah that's hard to tell. I once had a similar problem. I ordered the paypal debit card once (you can use it in stores like a mastercard but the money is withdrawn from your paypal account, it's not really credit) and never used the card. It actually stayed in my drawer in the unopened enveloppe.

A couple months later I noticed that someone tried to use my card on the internet to buy some pills on an online store but the transaction was declined since there was no money in my paypal account. Paypal confirmed that a fraud attempt was made. How in hell some guy had access to my card number ?!?! The number was never emailed nor published anywhere on the web. I actually never opened the damn enveloppe to read the number...

That's just weird. It really looks like someone had access to paypal's confidential stuff or something... Plain gay..

.fs.

Edited by fIsh in my head (12/20/04 12:05 AM)

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
Re: Got Robbed (electronically) [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #3522876 - 12/20/04 12:11 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hey but if you have the bank account number of the guy who made the transfer, i'm sure you can do something about it. I mean, you can probably find his personnal infos or if you know a lawyer or something, i'm sure he could find a way the legally get these infos if a fraud if suspected. If the guy stole your money and transfered it to his personnal account, that is very stupid since it makes it quite obvious that he made it.

And have a look at E-Gold privacy policy and fraud policy. They might tell you they can't do anything because they don't want to bother but maybe they can actually do something, according to their policy...

good luck.

And yes, never leave money again in electronic bank accounts.... I used to receive a lot of payments via paypal a couple years ago and was always withdrawing to my bank account, not feeling safe about leaving it there...

.fs.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
    #3522878 - 12/20/04 12:12 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

They didn't get YOUR account number.  It's called brute forcing - they try different numbers until it works.  Oldest trick in the book.

It's highly unlikely you were specifically targeted, you just got unlucky :smile:

--------------------
delta9

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Got Robbed (electronically) [Re: delta9]
    #3522896 - 12/20/04 12:16 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

so tehy jsut keep guessing names/passwords untill tehy get teh right ones?

that sucks man.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
Re: Got Robbed (electronically) [Re: kadakuda]
    #3522940 - 12/20/04 12:27 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Thats probably how it happened which is pretty scary.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
Re: Got Robbed (electronically) [Re: baraka]
    #3523018 - 12/20/04 12:44 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, scary indeed. But that's the way it is. That's why it is important to use mixed alphabetic and numeric (even symbols) passwords and change them every year or so.

--------------------
delta9

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

Loc: The Dark Tower
    #3523652 - 12/20/04 08:27 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Dont most online services suspend activitey after several failed attempts on a password? Thats how it is when I pay credit cards onloine. I find it hard to imagine brute force hacking would be feasible on such accounts. Then again E gold seems like the internets answer to money laundering and Im not sure how good their buisness practices are.

In any case sorry to hear of your loss. That shit sucks.

--------------------
Anjaba said:
Oh shit, don't drink it.... It would eat away your esophagus...
mantis said:
Leave me out of this pissing contest, you fascist wang-dang-doodle!
Hattori Hanzo said:
If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#3523788 - 12/20/04 09:44 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

fIsh in my head said:
Hey but if you have the bank account number of the guy who made the transfer, i'm sure you can do something about it. I mean, you can probably find his personnal infos or if you know a lawyer or something, i'm sure he could find a way the legally get these infos if a fraud if suspected. If the guy stole your money and transfered it to his personnal account, that is very stupid since it makes it quite obvious that he made it.

And have a look at E-Gold privacy policy and fraud policy. They might tell you they can't do anything because they don't want to bother but maybe they can actually do something, according to their policy...

good luck.

And yes, never leave money again in electronic bank accounts.... I used to receive a lot of payments via paypal a couple years ago and was always withdrawing to my bank account, not feeling safe about leaving it there...

.fs.

if its out of state i think the value would have to exceed something like 200 dollars... i got burned on ebay a few times...

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#3523789 - 12/20/04 09:47 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

delta9 said:
Yes, scary indeed. But that's the way it is. That's why it is important to use mixed alphabetic and numeric (even symbols) passwords and change them every year or so.

my passwords are always common words, but I will move the letters over on the keyboard. for example, if the word was 'train', I would move the letters one to the right, and make it 'ytsom'. who is going to guess that>? my password is longer than 5 letters, so there is even less of a chance...

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Re: Got Robbed (electronically) [Re: Jim]
    #3524003 - 12/20/04 11:40 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Well, I got an email back from E-Gold, saying of course that it was me that practiced poor security methods, and that they "put a limit on the account in question" so that he cannot rip anyone else off. But unfortunatly, they cannot return my money. :bitch:

Those bastards.  Supposedly a keylogger may have been installed on my computer through viewing a web page.

Anyway, I have this crook's IP address, it is '12.158.228.20', this is all I know about him/her.

i dont know how to make hyperlinks, but here is an interesting news story that may explain how I was conned into this somehow.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st..._pcworld/118997

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Concentrates