Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRxman
Loc: Ohio (yeah Right)
Perlite layer???
    #349152 - 06/26/01 04:47 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I know I don't need it for moisture so how wet should my casing be? By the way I used the "Spore Trading Post" method by fully saturating the perlite plus adding an extra half inch of standing water but don't believe that crap because the extra standing water will cause the blue-green mold to grow. I'll never order from them again, anyways how wet should the casing be and is the perlite a good idea to use. It worked okay for my first flush but the yields suck!

--------------------
Rxman

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Perlite layer??? [Re: Rxman]
    #349164 - 06/26/01 05:43 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

> how wet should my casing be
When applying the casing layer, you should be able to squeze a few drops of water from the casing material with your hand (with not toooo much force). This iis how wet it should be.

---------------------------------------
kickme.to/mushrooms

OfflineRxman
Re: Perlite layer??? [Re: Anno]
    #349393 - 06/26/01 02:52 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Hey Anno,
So is vermiculite a little better to use for moisture? Yeah, when I used the instructioons from the "Spore Trading post" it said to put fully saturate the perlite with an extra half inch of sitting water! Well my casing (cow poop) was so wet that it was almost mud and I think this is one of the reasons for my contamination.

--------------------
Rxman

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #349400 - 06/26/01 03:04 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

No, no, you are confusing things.
A perlite layer is used for humidification of fruiting containers when you have cakes.
Vermiculite(mixed with peat and limestone or alone) is used as a casing layer.

---------------------------------------
kickme.to/mushrooms

OfflineRxman
Re: Perlite layer??? [Re: Anno]
    #349807 - 06/27/01 04:29 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I gotcha Anno,
Do you use a bottom layer for your cakes? I know some people don't.

--------------------
Rxman

Offlineauto59009
enthusiast
Loc: Australia
    #349852 - 06/27/01 06:46 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

yeh u want a tub, then perlite soaked, then ur tray, then casing/mycellium in tray. that should ork good.
i have always used a bottom layer of verm or 50/50 just coz i don't like all the condensation that would go un under the myc. you will find tho that ur myc will rip thru that bottom layer forming a sort of extension of the cased material anyways :smile:
either is good... if ur unsure use just a thin layer of moist verm, can't hurt, and it will provide moisture absorbance and release...

I am a compulsive liar :wink:
http://go.to/FreeSporeRing
http://www.lilshopofspores.com
http://www.shaman-australis.com/shroom

--------------------
I am a compulsive liar :wink:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies