Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Mimosa Hostilis

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineFunkey
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Europe
Amazing germination succes with Mimosa Hostilis seeds!! (+need some advice)
    #3490969 - 12/13/04 02:12 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Hello everybody!

I recently won a 100 Mimosa Hostilis Jurema seeds in this contest from ShamansPalace.
Well, I had an amazing 100% germination succes so I thought it would be a good thing if I shared this. I found a method in this forum in a recent thread, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to describe it once again. So here's what I did:

Placed seeds in a cup and poured some very hot water (near boiling) onto them and let soak for 30 min. All seeds were swollen nicely. Placed seeds 1/8 inch deep in regular sterilized potting soil and put the pot in a ziplock bag. Placed ziplock bag with pot on a heating pad at 80?F and gave 16 hours of mediumstrong light a day  and from 2 to 7 days  all  seeds sprouted! :cool:
Of course it probably has a lot to do with the freshness of the seeds! So for those who aren't convinced yet: Shaman's Palace is great! :thumbup:

Does anybody here have some advice on how to take good care of these seedlings? When can I transplant (they are crowded)? I can't find pea innoculant, is this a problem? Should I use fertilizer instead? etc... Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--------------------
SING WHILE YOU MAY...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledr_gonz
Re: Amazing germination succes with Mimosa Hostilis seeds!! (+need some advice) [Re: Funkey]
    #3491200 - 12/13/04 02:55 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

That's awesome man! Congrads on the success rate!! I'd like to get some seeds sometime....

Peace

InvisibleStonehenge
Gone
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: Amazing germination succes with Mimosa Hostilis seeds!! (+need some advice) [Re: dr_gonz]
    #3492036 - 12/13/04 05:26 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, that is standard procedure with that type of seed. Some others that need hot or boiling water poured over them are all acacia seeds and some others I can't think of at the moment. Its a type of scarification. Others need to be soaked overnight in water and perhaps nicked first.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: Amazing germination succes with Mimosa Hostilis seeds!! (+need some advice) [Re: Funkey]
    #3494006 - 12/13/04 10:07 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

it's very cool to see people growing Mimosa hostilis! =D
i think you're through the biggest issue (germination!), let them grow a little bit before transplanting, these plants are really resistent...
how old are the seedlings by now? you'll know you need pea innoculant if they ALL start to die out of nothing after about a week after germination...
i would carefully transplant them to a soil mix (preferrably containing garden dirt/innoculant), just in case...
keep us posted!

FH

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

Re: Amazing germination succes with Mimosa Hostilis seeds!! (+need some advice) [Re: felixhigh]
    #3494145 - 12/13/04 10:29 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I got a couple I havnt brought in yet. Its snowing. But they are still alive. I got to bring them in before a big freeze.

--------------------

Invisibledr_gonz
Re: Amazing germination succes with Mimosa Hostilis seeds!! (+need some advice) [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #3494184 - 12/13/04 10:34 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Do you have any seeds left for trade?

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #3494279 - 12/13/04 10:50 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Congrats on the great germ rates

2 questions:

How big does Mimosa Hostilis grow to be? Is it a large tree or a smaller plant that can be grown in a house?

I assume that since sheik's plants are still outside and it's snowing, they can be grown outside in northern climates farily well, except during winter, right?

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Offlinerunnerup
student

Loc: USA
Re: Amazing germination succes with Mimosa Hostilis seeds!! (+need some advice) [Re: gdman]
    #3495034 - 12/14/04 01:18 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

good job man, thanks alot for posting your method and rate.

good job!

and thank you www.shamanspalace.com

=D

OfflineFunkey
enthusiast
Male

Re: Amazing germination succes with Mimosa Hostilis seeds!! (+need some advice) [Re: runnerup]
    #3496523 - 12/14/04 12:10 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Thank you all for the kind replies and the advice! I wish I could show you some pics, but no digicam... I'll try to keep you updated.

>how old are the seedlings by now?

They are now almost 1 week old

>you'll know you need pea innoculant if they ALL start to die out of nothing after about a week after germination...

I asked around in almost every garden center in the neighbourhood, but they don't have it and it seems they never heard from it either. Anything I can use instead of pea innoculant?

>Do you have any seeds left for trade?

Yes, luckily I didn't plant them all! PM me about it and we'll work something out...

>How big does Mimosa Hostilis grow to be? Is it a large tree or a smaller plant that can be grown in a house?

I don't know exactly, but I have a verandah (I hope this word exists) at my house where it can grow quite big in enough light. I think it can grow to a large tree.

--------------------
SING WHILE YOU MAY...

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
Re: Amazing germination succes with Mimosa Hostilis seeds!! (+need some advice) [Re: felixhigh]
    #3496709 - 12/14/04 01:07 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

felixhigh said:
it's very cool to see people growing Mimosa hostilis! =D
i think you're through the biggest issue (germination!), let them grow a little bit before transplanting, these plants are really resistent...
how old are the seedlings by now? you'll know you need pea innoculant if they ALL start to die out of nothing after about a week after germination...
i would carefully transplant them to a soil mix (preferrably containing garden dirt/innoculant), just in case...
keep us posted!

FH

Hey that happened to me. All desmathus illinoensis and all mimosa hostilis but one died out of nothing.

I'll inoculate my medium and start more seeds soon.

How should i go about inoculating?
Just plant a bean or pea, let them grow a bit and cut the plants leaving the roots in the earth?
Do i have to use some sort of special inoculated pea/bean or will regular food-grade peas work?

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

#3496776 - 12/14/04 01:20 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

pea inoculate? you mean the roots of the pea plant, for the Nitrogen fixing bacteria, right? well, can't you just sprout some peas in the same pot, then eventually cut the peas off at the soil line? or am I just totally missing something?

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.

Invisibledr_gonz
Re: Amazing germination succes with Mimosa Hostilis seeds!! (+need some advice) [Re: gdman]
    #3497600 - 12/14/04 04:00 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I'm new to this species. Why would you cut the new growth at the soil line. Does this have a similar effect to "topping" a plant during vegetative growth?

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Re: Amazing germination succes with Mimosa Hostilis seeds!! (+need some advice) [Re: dr_gonz]
    #3497608 - 12/14/04 04:01 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I'm talking about the peas, you need the roots for N2 fixing bacteria, most of the dmt containing plants I ahve read about seem to need it.

--------------------

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Re: Amazing germination succes with Mimosa Hostilis seeds!! (+need some advice) [Re: esin]
    #3497615 - 12/14/04 04:02 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

:lol: I didn't even see taht post :o, any pea should work, as long as it's viable.

--------------------

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3498291 - 12/14/04 06:10 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Post pics pls.

OfflineFunkey
enthusiast
Male

Re: Amazing germination succes with Mimosa Hostilis seeds!! (+need some advice) [Re: World Spirit]
    #3501954 - 12/15/04 03:50 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

>any pea should work, as long as it's viable.

Wow, cool! I always thought that you had to use special peas. :blush: Now that explains a lot!! Thanks.

>Post pics pls.

I wish I could, but no digicam...

--------------------
SING WHILE YOU MAY...

Offlinerunnerup
student

#3503594 - 12/15/04 02:53 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

so whats the point of growing the peas and cutting off the tops after they sprout?

Offlinerunnerup
student

#3503601 - 12/15/04 02:54 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

gdman said:
I'm talking about the peas, you need the roots for N2 fixing bacteria, most of the dmt containing plants I ahve read about seem to need it.

okay i see that.

will beans work as well?

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
Re: Amazing germination succes with Mimosa Hostilis seeds!! (+need some advice) [Re: World Spirit]
    #3503689 - 12/15/04 03:12 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I posted a few mimosa hostilis seedling pics a while ago in this thread. The pics are not that great, but you can get an idea how they look.

Thanks Gdman, will do that.

InvisibleStonehenge
Gone
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: Amazing germination succes with Mimosa Hostilis seeds!! (+need some advice) [Re: esin]
    #3504756 - 12/15/04 06:39 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I'm growing several m hostilis and have never given them pea innocullant. Maybe you are supposed to pee on them? I also have a mimosa scabrella that's been growing a few years with no innocullant.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Mimosa Hostilis

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden