Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
What I've done so far...(first timer)
    #339620 - 06/13/01 12:58 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

OK, here's what I've done so far. Please point out any mistakes and tell me if I have to start again.

- For first time I only used 4 jars. I couldn't find any proper canning jars so I used half pint glass jar/bowel things I found with snap on plastic lids (the seal is quite tight). I only used 4 because I didn't want to buy heaps of them if the plastic lidded jars proved unsuitable.
- I made my substrate with a vermiculite/flour mix. I couldn't find any brown flour. The package said 'unbleached' and 'organic' and it had a little splurb on the back about how there's no fungucides in there etc. But when I opened it it was white, not brown. I couldn't find any 'brown' flour. I put a dash of maple syrup in there just for good measure. Not very much at all, but I've heard people talking about it.
- I used the ramsey seal. There are no holes in the lids, I feel that the needle will easily puncture the plastic lids when it comes time to innoculate.
- First I wrapped the jars up in plastic bags because I thought that boiling water might get in a ruin the mixture. I boiled them like that for an hour and a half.
- I then realized that it was the steam that did the sterilization and it had to get inside the jars, so I took them out of their plastic covers, put them on a steaming rack in a huge pot and steamed them for two hours. I hope I havn't overcooked the substrate...
- Taken the hot jars out of the pot, waited till they cooled a bit. Wiped around the seal with a disinfectant, just in case and put them in a clean, disinfected rubbermaid container with the lid slightly ajar to allow moisture to leave. Leaving like that to cool overnight.

OK so how have I done? Don't need to start again yet?
Thanx from an overly cautious newbie.

Give me a woman that loves beer and I could conquer the world

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: What I've done so far...(first timer) [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #339635 - 06/13/01 01:13 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

> I couldn't find any brown flour
Buy brown rice and gind it with a coffee grinder

> I used the ramsey seal
Not necessary

> I feel that the needle will easily puncture the plastic lids when it comes time to innoculate.
Thats going to be a problem. The plastic will clog your needle

>with the lid slightly ajar
Close that lid

---------------------------------------
kickme.to/mushrooms

Edited by Anno on 06/13/01 03:17 AM.

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
Re: What I've done so far...(first timer) [Re: Anno]
    #339666 - 06/13/01 01:52 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I will do those things next time. I will be careful not to clog the needle. For the time being, though, is it safe to continue or should I start again?

Give me a woman that loves beer and I could conquer the world

InvisibleBrownPastures
old hand

Loc: here
    #339688 - 06/13/01 02:41 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Give it a shot! :smile:
Tell us how it works out :wink:

"slutguts" - auto59009
Drool Donkey Island

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #339749 - 06/13/01 05:39 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Well if it contams then you know that it was flawed, but you won't really know til then. Good luck.

In the fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud, Under the bludgeonings of chance My head is bloody, but unbowed.

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags