Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineninjer
Smilin' "Bob"
Possible panaeolus, says a noob. With pics for ID help!
    #3396935 - 11/23/04 02:57 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I found a ton of these little guys growing in some woodchips here in Columbus, Ohio. From the smell of things when they laid the 'chips, they are made with cow manure mixed in (not sure if that changes things at all).

I don't really expect them to be jackpot material, but I've been having fun trying to ID mushrooms of all kinds, and I like to think I narrowed these down to the panaeolus family, though I can't get any more specific than that.

I can tell you that these have dark brown gills, attached to the stem. It's hard to see in the pics, but the gills have some faint white powder along their ridges close to the stem and on the stem (is this residue from the veil?) I took a sporeprint of a few of these, and I can say with confidence that they print black as night. The stems are hollow and fragile, and look silky or pearly. The caps range from a medium-dark brown to a light-brown-cream, though they all end up lighter as they dry, with a dark ring at the very edge (I'm guessing from the gills?) The caps do not absorb water.

These smell very much (though not quite exactly) like common table mushrooms, and especially did about twelve hours after I brought them in. They don't bruise blue (or bruise at all, from what I can see).

Since my host is a bit paranoid about image linking, I have decided to make up a really quick (and really ugly) page with pics of the 'shrooms. To see the pictures (and captions), click below:

http://www.discarnate.com/yatara/mushrooms/index.html

Any help would be most appreciated, and I can try to give even more information if anyone asks.

Edited by ninjer (11/23/04 05:17 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSuper_Blunt
Candyman
 User Gallery

Re: Possible panaeolus, says a noob. With pics for ID help! [Re: ninjer]
    #3396945 - 11/23/04 03:03 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Nice pics, you're not allowed to be here. You've got a lot more sucking up to do before you're allowed to be here. Go away and don't come back. you're not allowed to be here. You've got a lot more sucking up to do before you're allowed to be here. Go away and don't come back. you're not allowed to be here. You've got a lot more sucking up to do before you're allowed to be here. Go away and don't come back. you're not allowed to be here. You've got a lot more sucking up to do before you're allowed to be here. Go away and don't come back. you're not allowed to be here. You've got a lot more sucking up to do before you're allowed to be here. Go away and don't come back.

--------------------

OfflineMajestic
M.I.A.
 User Gallery

Loc: Florence, Oregon
    #3396996 - 11/23/04 03:32 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well eh...hmm.  After dabbling with your weird host privilages, I got the pics to work...but...im at a loss for a good id...im leaning towards a psathyrella, maybe..corrugis? eh..dont quote me..im sure when someone knowledgeable makes a post ill look like a fool =P :shocked:

~D

--------------------
"The Oracle at Delphi is quite possibly real...
I watched a documentary on it on Discovery channel."  -Darcho

People will always be tempted to wipe their feet,
on anything with 'welcome' written on it.

:regularshroom:?:regularshroom: "mushroom, what?"
_\ -/_

Offlineninjer
Smilin' "Bob"
Re: Possible panaeolus, says a noob. With pics for ID help! [Re: Super_Blunt]
    #3397142 - 11/23/04 05:19 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, I'm very sorry about that.

I went ahead and (really quickly) made up a (very) basic HTML page to display the pics at: http://www.discarnate.com/yatara/mushrooms/index.html.

Hope this helps!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #3397362 - 11/23/04 07:55 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

At a quick glance they look like Psathyrellas.

Try making a spore print.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlineninjer
Smilin' "Bob"
Re: Possible panaeolus, says a noob. With pics for ID help! [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3397451 - 11/23/04 08:35 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

My spore print came out jet black.

Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

Loc: Omnipresent
Re: Possible panaeolus, says a noob. With pics for ID help! [Re: Super_Blunt]
    #3397526 - 11/23/04 09:00 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Super_Blunt said:
Nice pics, you're not allowed to be here. You've got a lot more sucking up to do before you're allowed to be here. Go away and don't come back. you're not allowed to be here. You've got a lot more sucking up to do before you're allowed to be here. Go away and don't come back. you're not allowed to be here. You've got a lot more sucking up to do before you're allowed to be here. Go away and don't come back. you're not allowed to be here. You've got a lot more sucking up to do before you're allowed to be here. Go away and don't come back. you're not allowed to be here. You've got a lot more sucking up to do before you're allowed to be here. Go away and don't come back.

-What the fuck is all that about, man? I am guessing I quite missed something.

--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

OfflineMajestic
M.I.A.
 User Gallery

Loc: Florence, Oregon
Re: Possible panaeolus, says a noob. With pics for ID help! [Re: superblingtheory]
    #3398471 - 11/23/04 01:11 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

LoL...ya you did...originally, not sure if it still is, when u clicked on his image links, it had that message...guess blunt just got a bit over-zealous...or..something  :confused:

--------------------
"The Oracle at Delphi is quite possibly real...
I watched a documentary on it on Discovery channel."  -Darcho

People will always be tempted to wipe their feet,
on anything with 'welcome' written on it.

:regularshroom:?:regularshroom: "mushroom, what?"
_\ -/_

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck