Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineprimal440
journeyman
Trich. Cactus Identification
    #3389338 - 11/20/04 03:37 PM (12 years, 23 days ago)

OK, this post deals the same that my other posts deals with, but this time it's more specific. excuse me if you consider I posted two times the same thread but then, im in a hurry and think that since this is more specific ill get more views and rapid responses. Here it goes:

according to erowid's list and this site:
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Cactaceae/Trichocereus.html
I might have a Trichocereus Cuzcoensis, Macrogona or Validus. Maybe Bridgesii but the spines are too small?
I know cactus looks are deceiving and each member of the family has millions of faces. What do the experts say about this photos? Is this cactus psychoactive?

Here they are, they are blurry but in the ones that aren't you can appreciate the spines and all, in the other ones the shape. It was about 1 meter and a half when I cut it.
By the way, I also have a meter and a half of confirmed pachanoi, maybe i dont even need this unknown cactus if 4 people want to learn from mescalito? Or is one and a half meter not so much? I know potency varies but, hell it doesn't hurt to ask.

Edited by primal440 (11/20/04 03:56 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePsilopleix
Extended Symbol

Loc: aridzone1
Re: Trich. Cactus Identification [Re: primal440]
    #3389398 - 11/20/04 04:01 PM (12 years, 23 days ago)

I really wanna say peruvianus... they kinda look like mine.

InvisibleM_S_Smith
CactiphileExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Re: Trich. Cactus Identification [Re: Psilopleix]
    #3389771 - 11/20/04 05:41 PM (12 years, 23 days ago)

Not T. validus, not T. bridgesii, probably not the little known and seen T. cuzcoensis which only has the areoles 1 to 1.5 cm appart, so therefore I will go with it being either T. peruvianus or the "peruvianoid" form of T. macrogonus, this as opposed to the Bolivian T. macrogonus which looks like T. terscheckii and is therefore "terscheckioid." Clearer pictures would be nice.

~Michael~

Offlineprimal440
journeyman
Re: Trich. Cactus Identification [Re: M_S_Smith]
    #3390036 - 11/20/04 06:54 PM (12 years, 23 days ago)

Dear M_S_Smith in reply to the other thread I can say that I don't think the fact that if this trichocereus is or not native to its lands is so important since it was found in an urban environment, so anything is possible given the proper ambient treatment to the plant. I see you know a lot about cactus and trichocereus, and I can get more photos but am not sure, don't have the cactus or a camera t hand. How much in percentage are you sure that it is a T. Peruvianus or Peruvianoid Macrogonus? Given the fact that these two are qalified as psychoactive I have great chances in enjoying its magic?
Do you need more pcitures to be really sure? As I said, I don't know if I'll have th chance to getm ore pictures so...

You say cuzcoensis has aeroles separated 1 to 1.5 cms apart and if you consider the finger in one of those pictures you can say that actually the aeroles in this cactus are separated in fact that distance, or am i measuring wrong?
By the way, I also know that each cactus have different looks depending on its growing conditions and blabla but a rough estimate can be done. Should I risk it with this potentially magic cactus?
By the way, does anyone know how strong T. Macrogonus is?

InvisibleM_S_Smith
CactiphileExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

#3390586 - 11/20/04 09:48 PM (12 years, 22 days ago)

The areoles being 1 to 1.5 cm apart is not described as being on young, immature, or cultivated plants, but are descriptions of mature plants in thier natural habitat, as such is the way the plants gained thier description as referenced in the literature. Doing such measurements on plants outside their natural environment and on immature plants isn't really adequate in identification. Differences in spine length are also effected by culivation outside the plants natural range.

T. macrogonus is one of the most confusing of all Trichocereus as the plant gained it original description from a cultivated plant in Europe of which the natural territory was unknown. As it stands I have made certain assumption about what should properly be called T. macrogonus.

At http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MSSphotography/ I have a "Photos" folder which shows what is the "Peruvinoid" and "Terscheckioid" T. macrogonus. Have a look. The "Terscheckioid" plant should not be considered a T. macrogonus at all in my opinion as it falls to far outside of the given descriptions.

I'm sorry, but I don't discuss "magic" qualities of these plants, or how "strong" they are. I will occasionally discuss alklaloid concentration, but I am a cultivator more than anything else, but do realize that these communities by their nature help preserve and expand the cultivation of these prized plants.

~Michael~

Offlineprimal440
journeyman
    #3390724 - 11/20/04 10:27 PM (12 years, 22 days ago)

Then being a cactiphile must be really difficult as a science.
What I was aiming especially to you M_S_Smith is that if you were sure it this were first, Trichocereus and then Peruvianus or Macrogonus (is the way a spine is bigger than the others worth noticeable?). Could it be ean entirely different cactus (psychoactive or not?) if that's an answer, what are the odds in favor of it being pyschoactive?

I understand your perspective on being more reserved on the recreational use of this plants and the damage it could do to it's reputation, but I've seen all kinds of comments here at the shroomery, including those that point out to explicit recreational use. Please pay more attention to the first paragraph hehe.

Doesn't anyone else has anything to say by the way?

Edited by primal440 (11/20/04 10:34 PM)

InvisibleM_S_Smith
CactiphileExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

#3390815 - 11/20/04 10:58 PM (12 years, 22 days ago)

Well it's not the plants reputation I am worried about, it is my own.

I would certainly say it is a Trichocereus. Clearer photos would help, but I will venture to guess that it is the "peruvinoid" T. macrogonus, a plant certainly high in alkaloid concentrations.

If recreational use is all that is valued here then I will back off and leave the discussion to those who are only interested in ingesting these majestic and beautiful plants. But were will that leave you?

~Michael~

Offlineprimal440
journeyman
    #3390856 - 11/20/04 11:07 PM (12 years, 22 days ago)

yeah you're right, but please note that while im interested in its alkaloid content i also admire the plant itself, i myself am a collector of cactus and enjoy vegetative life forms (excuse my english). i felt the need to add this reply...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden