Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineThe_Gnome_King
journeyman
Best way to Wash shrooms & f*@cking insects!
    #332946 - 06/03/01 07:28 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

What's the best way to wash fresh mushrooms as to not get them too water logged? Up to now I've just been lightly rinsing and rubbing them under a tap, but I highly doubt that's getting rid of all the cow shit. I wonder how much cow shit I've accidently eaten...

Also, those f*#cking insects have ruined my best Psilocybin Cubensis ever. I opened the beast up to find all these tiny black bugs in there. Now she's only good for a spore print (if that - not fully opened). Are those tiny insects related to the small but not so tiny maggots that are somethimes found in mushrooms? I hate those things. I wonder how many of them I have accidently eaten...

How do I help ensure the mushrooms I pick are parasite free? (e.g. timing, time of day, humidity, what?)

Thanx for any help!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAIRDOG
Male User Gallery

Loc: world's shroom capital
Re: Best way to Wash shrooms & f*@cking insects! [Re: The_Gnome_King] * 1
    #333130 - 06/03/01 01:41 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Eat em with them bugs, they have eaten part of the mushroom and the psilocybin is still in their bellies... hehehe

isnt it obvious??? pick the fresher mushrooms, eating the maggots wont harm you...

OfflineThe_Gnome_King
journeyman
Re: Best way to Wash shrooms & f*@cking insects! [Re: AIRDOG]
    #333487 - 06/03/01 09:20 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

In reply to:

Eat em with them bugs

Uh...no thanks. :frown:

In reply to:

isnt it obvious???

Well it's obvious that fresher shrooms are not as rotten, yes.  What I wanted to know was is there a certain time of day/climate/conditions/location/whatever that make the mushrooms rot more easily?  Like is best to go 12 hours after rain or 36 hours after?  Is it better to look in hilly places or flats places? etc.

Offlineforax
Re: Best way to Wash shrooms & f*@cking insects! [Re: The_Gnome_King]
    #334750 - 06/04/01 11:49 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Edited by forax (09/28/08 04:29 PM)

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
Re: Best way to Wash shrooms & f*@cking insects! [Re: forax]
    #334760 - 06/04/01 11:55 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

:laugh: No, it doesn't.  If I'm going to be creeping around in paddocks, picking psychadelic fungi out of piles of shit, I can't take what I'm doing to seriously, can I?

Note: I am Gnome King, changed my alias

Drinking affords an excuse to pursue the one
activity that truly gives me pleasure:
hooking up with fat, easy girls

Offlineaussishroomhead
enthusiast
Re: Best way to Wash shrooms & f*@cking insects! [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #334855 - 06/05/01 01:54 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

HAha I know exactly what you are talking about.
My friends and I noticed the crunchy sensation in the cap and one day when I was washing them I relised what the crunching was. I found heaps of little white maggot\worms which are about 1\2 cm long and little black bugs which accounts for the crunchiness.YUMMY
They dont bother me when I think about it, its probably safer eating those maggot infested mushrooms than shaking someones hand and eating straight after.
I wash mine in the bath with me. Weird ay

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Best way to Wash shrooms & f*@cking insects! [Re: aussishroomhead]
    #334866 - 06/05/01 02:31 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

In reply to:

They dont bother me when I think about it, its probably safer eating those maggot infested mushrooms than shaking someones hand and eating straight after.
I wash mine in the bath with me. Weird ay

YUK! That's absolutley disgusting! That maggot eating thing is pretty gross, too.

Drinking affords an excuse to pursue the one
activity that truly gives me pleasure:
hooking up with fat, easy girls

Offlineaussishroomhead
enthusiast
    #334908 - 06/05/01 05:20 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I found out a little method that seem ed to work with me.
When I washed my shrooms about an hour ago I held the cap under water , holding the stem at the base then I spun the cap around back and forth, spinning it on its axis. after doing that I noticed a dark cloud of grime and yes those pesky little barstards floating away from it. Give it a try.

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Best way to Wash shrooms & f*@cking insects! [Re: aussishroomhead]
    #334939 - 06/05/01 06:33 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

In reply to:

I noticed a dark cloud of grime and yes those pesky little barstards floating away from it

Hmmm. You sure it wasn't a dark cloud of spores floating away from it? As for those little insects, fuck 'em. I hate the fucking little things - actually, I don't mind the tiny little black bugs, but I think they make the maggots and I do hate them. Is it those tiny, tiny little black ones? They're so small you can't even see that they're bugs until they start hopping around.

Give me a woman that loves beer and I could conquer the world

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Best way to Wash shrooms & f*@cking insects! [Re: The_Gnome_King]
    #335215 - 06/05/01 01:38 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Well what I have found of shrooms, it seems that bugs and larvae are much more commonly found in mushrooms growing in the shade, in the forest under trees in the shade. Well that is where most of the shrooms tend to grow anyways. The mushrooms that grow out in a open grassy part of the field with no shade are always best, even in potency, even though the sun hits the caps, the caps seem to like the suntan they get from the sun and the Bugs actually eat away at the potency of the shroom.

So, when i pick a cube i turn it over right away and look at the gills of the shroom and if theres any suspicion of the black shroom-bugs being in there, then I just give a nice strong breath of air into the gills, and presto, those black bugs jump right out. Dont be shy to give it and big strong breath of air into the gills because it seems to work very good for myself. So blow into them gills and watch them scatter, it really work.s

The bigger and older the shroom the more bugs youll get...unless its a open field shroom, most of the time open field shrooms are in perfect condition because of the sunshine.

However the stems never seem to have many problems, just the caps. Doesnt bother me any, I just keep on shroomin and figure it out as I go.

Sometimes I use two bags when i know there will be some larvae problems. One bag for all the best fruit and another for the ones with larvae.

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Best way to Wash shrooms & f*@cking insects! [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #335430 - 06/05/01 05:59 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

"One bag for all the best fruit and another for the ones with larvae. "
Egh! YUK. What is it about maggots that makes my skin crawl!? Yuk. Why do you bother collecting them at all!?

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #335564 - 06/05/01 08:37 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

The second bag with the infested caps is carefully dried for preservation. The bugs will eat away at the caps a little for the first day or so, and whatever is left is still good enough for myself to eat at a later date. Some caps I do not even bother collecting, as I know they wont survive the drying process, so I still pick them because I love to pick cubes, I take the stem and leave the cap on the cow shit I found it on. . The stems of these mushrooms are still always good. And i regularly have been known to give the less desireables to the homeless for free tripping. They dont complain, nobody ever complains about free mushroom. Well, maybe a Cultivator would complain, but I simply wont explain any further upon that. :)

The better of the bag is for myself and friends to consume and enjoy. Extras are printed and dried seperately from buggy caps. And works fine for myself.

A pasture filled with Copelandias is almost the same, but I end up leaveing a lot more of the bigger caps behind, as there are 100x's more little copelandias to pick than in a good cube field. I take every Copelandia stem as you cant lose with drying them. They dry up perfect in two days or so. Cope caps are a tougher judgement, as if picking many dozen doses worth everyday they couldnt all possibly be eaten so they must be dried. And the caps are a trick to dry. So I take just small to medium sized caps with stems and then leave most of the larger caps behind only taking the stems of those.

You know you can always give growing them in a test tube a good shot!~ That way you dont have to deal with those Fucking Bugs, dude.
Better yet, I advise you to Thoughrouly Wash every one of your shrooms for at least 15 minutes under warm water, and then soak them in a bowl of water over-night. Homie.
The longer you soak them in water the better off you are going to be.

Keep on shroomin,
GG

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Best way to Wash shrooms & f*@cking insects! [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #335737 - 06/05/01 11:28 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

In reply to:

give the less desireables to the homeless for free tripping

No shit! And they actually appreciate that? They know what it is and what to expect? Wow. I wonder if you freaked the fuck out of any of them...I guess a low dose is kind of like being stoned, so that may be enjoyable for them.

In reply to:

Better yet, I advise you to Thoughrouly Wash every one of your shrooms for at least 15 minutes under warm water, and then soak them in a bowl of water over-night.

Really. Huh. 15 minutes you say? Why so long? And why the soaking? You'd think they'd just rot.

Thanks for your help, GGreatOne!

OfflineVook
Stranger
This was the first Post that popped up searching "Insects in dried Magic Mushrooms" [Re: The_Gnome_King]
    #24470581 - 07/09/17 04:11 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I looked this up to see if anyone had a safe way to rid the insects.

My only reason to be hesitant about eating them would be hygienical reasons, I tend to save insects from their doom unless they are "predators" like ticks and mosquitos, so it's not like I'd feel like a damn murderer for eating some mites, but the doubt comes from the lack of knowing the "safety of it" just like someone wrote about silver fishes crawling about their shrooms.. those can be just as dirty as roaches and rats, which stil is no reason for me to flip or wear condoms on my feet or disinfect them only because they crawled about in the bathroom.Saliva can also prevent you from getting whatever is bad in there into your body that quick, just like it also does not immediately mean you get lung sick only because you have mouse crap on your attic, and you now whirl it around... but you could...

I cleaned out a quite low maintenance chicken coop, the second time I did not even wear a mask, just waited for the dust to settle and pulled my t shirt up... and I'm still healthy (for as much as I really am), no allergic reactions either, but you never know...

Unless you plan to marinate, soak or treat mushrooms with liquids,
it is -never- recommended to wash mushrooms.

If you ask a cook, champignons which have soil remnants are either dusted off with a brush, or "washed" in e.g. flour.

Many people don't like mushy mushrooms as the "fleshy" gets lost and the "muddy" and "slimy" takes over.

Mushrooms usually are being put into Vinegar, which helps them stay conserved for quite long and be edible, not really the sort of goût for everyone.

As for Psilos, blue honey seems to be a good thing.

Even though it is said that the honey will break down or destroy the psilocin, which is the "body high" of the mushrooms, maybe comparable in its analogy to CBD in Cannabis with THC.. while of course mushrooms are not really calming like CBD might be, or at least they are not really sleep promoters are they. (Then again some people could swear that weed makes them tired over the day, but quite active at night times and helps them keep on then.. even - this is not the way nature (biological clock?) is supposed to run.

There probably were eggs in the lamellars, the box is full of black matter however, whether it's spores or the eaten lamemellars or remnants.. maybe it's magic mushroom mite poo? wil that be a psychedelic new allergy?

I've heard about cheese mites being huge enough to be visible, and they seem to be evidently bigger than those mites here, as they are rather between a baby tick and those little red spiders? (haha no house music intended) they are probably mites too but maybe you've seen those reddish insects on rocks and such..

So they are really tiny.

I've been pondering whether to kill them with gas, or use something that's really air tight or gets a vacume this time.. or just try and heat them up to 60°C and see if they will run for it.

Whether or not I will remove them, maybe I will grind the shrooms to powder and make some blue honey, never do that with fresh mushrooms though because even if the honey can also be used for preserving food, and is said to have antibiotic and cleansing effects (generally don't feed honey to new borns because still there can be a bacteria a new born's immune system, unlike a grown up's... can't handle)
still the shrooms could just leave their water inside the honey, it won't vapourize away, and mold will start to develop.

Ground, dried (not in that order) mushrooms, added to honey, give it a stir and maybe a while.

Back to the insects:

What I've so far realized is that:

I've dried two flushes each of two different cubensis types

When I grew my second kind (Super Gold was first, then Palenque)

Note here, I used a plastic bag around them, which was recommended as I bought a easy to do kit substrate included, no spore syringes or anything. So that bag had no space for intruders, only air filters.
The fact the second growth kit has no mites, and that the clerk never heard of insects in anyone's shrooms, whoever he sold it to (in a country in which this is 100% legal) proves that I caused these mites to enter, or gave them their chance.

Another note to make the "time line" clear:

I checked upon the mushrooms a time or two, just to see if they are still dry and have no mold, there were no hints about insects.

Which really confuses me about the box being air tight, and whether the mites were in there all the time, just too few to notice, and hidden within the lamellar of the caps. Even if they infested later on that would mean the quick dried are not endangered, in fact I have a single mushroom, the biggest of the bunch which remained, it was dried in the dehydrator and lies near my bed as an "aroma enhancer" so that I have a subtle mushroom note around my bed, just like when I open my vac lock boxes I keep my weed bags in. Or when I sprinkle some cloud herb (tagetes lucida) powder on cloth because that aroma is quite lovely too :smile:

As stated before: the quick dried have "sharper" and maybe more "biting" aroma .. which is not irritating unless they are in the mouth!

Back to the ones that were dried within tissues for days and stored in a box for keeping food fresh:

Around two months later or even four I now realized there's a lot of spores (or powdered shroom matter.. or turds) around the box and there's something MOVING in there!

back to the time I didn't even know or assume I could get mites in my shrooms

for the second time I grew shrooms  I decided to dry them quicker and see if there's a difference in "quality"

I bought the cheapest food dehydrator I could get.

It even had me worried about destroying active components, but not the case, at least not recognizably.

The difference is obvious:

Drying them between sheets of thickest office paper available and kitchen wipe paper towels .. for let's say a day or three

Probably gave mites the chance to crawl up there and lay their eggs.

Drying for an hour or three, making the mushrooms look a bit crispy (golden brownish) but seemingly not burnt,  also making the black segments appear smaller and more like the "core" to it, also the taste went from .. mmh, mushrooms.. with all their nectar to choc over american flora subtle odours to a stronger "hobo foot mushroom" taste, which is why some claim they are horrible.. well then.. dissolve some chocolate .. I use 99% cocoa.. and put them in.. really helps it whether they are dried shrooms or fresh truffles. Warm to hot air drying  either helps making the shrooms unattractive to the mites, or .. better yet.. a reason they made their way to the slowly dried might be because the mites probably took their time to find the shrooms, unlike going to a place that is obviously too hot for them.

Also I never tried an actual sun exposure method which might have been the common ancient way to dry them. And if you hang them on a rope a few meters above the ground, they probably won't be reached by peskies too quickly. That's how it's done for "regular mushrooms" around forest cabins,as they don't use food dehydrators, I'm sure!

Just like others stated here: make sure you get to dry your shrooms quickly enough, or if you prefer a natural method, make sure you use a fabric that is mite and/or insect proof.

If you speak maggots, to me it sounds like moths or other types of nocturnal flutterers. Not sure if flies take mushrooms too, though.

It was really surprizing once, to see a caterpillar.. it seemingly was.

Inside of a(n) Habañero! (the H is silent, right :>?)

Speaking of whether the mites have a time of their lives.. or are the hottest and toughest, infesting more potent peppers / mushrooms for a change, probably they: either don't care or mind, or they don't feel the capsaicin's effect. Which proves that most of the capsaicin is a mind thing, that's why sweet taste can distract your brain from the heat/pain sensation.

Or why some Thai woman was said to have won an eating contest and even smeared some of the peppers into her eyes, although the others said "NO, DON'`T DO IT.. ARGH!?! STOP!!!", her body does not react to capsaicin as regular human bodies would, she's not feeling you!

So maybe the insects just have subtle to no effects, and even the acidy feel probably matters not (not sure if you ever had such substances on/around your mucosa)  (so, uhm...insects don't have skin, but generally wear their bones on the outside) maybe their antennas react to the substance? do mites have antennas? if that was the case maybe they'd get on and off high like dolphins do with pufferfish .. maybe they enjoy to eat mushrooms and be "fully aware" doing so, developing more creative and fantastic ways while drifing off with the philosophy... oh my bad, animals can't reflect like humans.. or can they :P...

long story short? uhm, no... drifting off? hope you don't go TL;DR too fast - yes life is short.. took me longer to write than the reader to understand what I might be ranting on about, and when again or whether I will get back to the matter at hand and get to the point! I guess..., pardon in advance?

o'...rly...

I'll save me a camera shot of the mites now as they are being kept in quarantine right now.. although I took the cardboard on which they were out in order to analyse further. And I'd probably need some over the top lighting, angle, and focus to even show something that is around 1 mm big or a bit less, whie one probably might have seen the mass that affects the shrooms while they stil were in that see through box.

As for answers to this (the topic was set up way back then, but I thought it if already exists, why add "nothing new" and just give it other or different aspects. Even if my case of insects is a recent and new one)

Before you get dizzy from/for me breaking interpunction "rules" the 100th time..

and really have the urge to tell me so:

rather tell me how someone might rid those mites without just using the primitive method of shaking and dropping them, or squashing until one believes they might all be gone and the shrooms are free now.

Someone wrote about alcohol..
(while  I don't know whether an extraction would allow the volatile alcohol to air out while the PCB remains, does that even work with THC?)

> > yeah, sure.. I'll suck a Q tip of 92% Alc. Absinthe before doing shrooms,but THAT'S ABOUT IT!!!! < <

Edited by Vook (07/09/17 04:21 PM)

InvisibleNothingsChanged
Striving for Excellence
Male User Gallery

Loc: North/Western WA Flag
Re: This was the first Post that popped up searching "Insects in dried Magic Mushrooms" [Re: Vook] * 1
    #24470622 - 07/09/17 04:27 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Dehydrator

--------------------

InvisibleSWFL
Gettin' Better All The Time
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: This was the first Post that popped up searching "Insects in dried Magic Mushrooms" [Re: NothingsChanged] * 1
    #24470736 - 07/09/17 05:10 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Holy necro-resurrection batman! This thread is probably older than half the posters on this site:huxleyfacepalm:

--------------------
Listening to anything I say could be detrimental to your health-

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: This was the first Post that popped up searching "Insects in dried Magic Mushrooms" [Re: SWFL]
    #24471319 - 07/09/17 09:42 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Drying them gets rid of the bugs. Thats what I do or boil them for 15-20 min. It wont hurt them

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale