Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAtticMonkey
Fart SniffinPrimate

Loc: Midwest
Pressure Canner Explosion?
    #323266 - 05/22/01 11:42 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

hey all,
ive got a mirror pressure canner i am wanting to use to sterilze some jars of substrate. When i bought this thing it didnt have any instructions with it but i asked some people that had them and thought i knew how to do it. Well I filled it with about an inch of water (i didnt place any jars in this time just wanting to make sure i knew how to do it right) i sealed the lid and turned the heat on. Well serveral minutes its beginning to make a little hissing noise and there is some steam coming from underneath one of the handles but not much steam is coming from the spout on top. Is this the way its suppose to work or am i just too paranoid? Any tips would help.

Life Is Like A Plate Of Chitlins, Everythings Just Fine Till You Find Out What Your Eatin!

--------------------
Life Is Like A Plate Of Chitlins, Everythings Just Fine Till You Find Out What Your Eatin!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineoOTerraSanOo
journeyman
Re: Pressure Canner Explosion? [Re: AtticMonkey]
    #323287 - 05/22/01 12:13 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

If steam is coming out the sides then it sounds to me like you need a new gasket on the lid. My friend ran in to this a week ago and found that she couldn't get over 2pnds of pressure. She replaced the gasket and it works fine now. I'm guessing your PC has a pressure indicator...

--
"The work will teach you how to do it."
--Estonian proverb

OfflineAtticMonkey
Fart SniffinPrimate

Re: Pressure Canner Explosion? [Re: oOTerraSanOo]
    #323303 - 05/22/01 12:31 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Actually this one is the type with no gauge just the weight. I went ahead and let it keep heating and after a few minutes (while i was watching it from afar by binoculars j/k) it stop leaking out the side and steam started coming out the top in a countinuous jet stream. So i think it should be fine. Just curious but should the heat source be adjusted once the weight is applied or should i keep in the same through the whole cycle. Thanks for your help. :)

--------------------

OfflineAtticMonkey
Fart SniffinPrimate

#323314 - 05/22/01 12:39 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Also, should the weight be kinda rattling around on the top or should it just be still the entire time?

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #323321 - 05/22/01 12:45 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

As fast as the weight begins rattling(you should heat up the canner slowly over 10 to 15 minutes) adjust the heat, so it rattles only now and then. Then begin to take time(1 hour for rye, 45 minutes for rice cakes)

---------------------------------------
kickme.to/mushrooms

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Pressure Canner Explosion? [Re: Anno]
    #323395 - 05/22/01 02:10 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Just curious, I also have this pressure cooker with no Gauge... When the steam comes out of the underside of the handle and various places, the book says its normal as the air is being pushed out.. When a continuous steam comes out of the weight they say to lower the temp on the stove until the steam comes out only 3-4 times a minute through the weight... Problem is I can really only get a continous steam coming out of the weight, and when I lower the temp it basicly stopps after a while, this stupid guide that came with the cooker is pretty lame....

Offlinecornbread

#323456 - 05/22/01 03:14 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I have the same pressure cooker,
It will leak steam around the sides until pressure builds up and it locks the lid and steam stops leaking around the lid when the lid locks. Let it go awhile until the weight rattles and start your time. Then lower the temp slowly on your stove. You want the wieght to only rattle a few times a minute.
Good luck
Cornbread

Offlinecornbread

#323457 - 05/22/01 03:16 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I have the same pressure cooker,
It will leak steam around the sides until pressure builds up and locks the lid the steam will stop leaking around the lid. Let it go awhile until the weight rattles and start your time. Then lower the temp slowly on your stove. You want the wieght to only rattle a few times a minute.
Good luck
Cornbread

OfflineEntheonaut
"New andImproved !!
Loc: Lost in cyberspace..
Re: Pressure Canner Explosion? [Re: cornbread]
    #323489 - 05/22/01 03:53 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, I agree also. I have a 'Mirro' pressure cooker and it behaves the same way. The model I have allows you to take apart/add to the weight to adjust for pressure (5,10,15 pounds).

I remember the first time I tried it out, I hid behind the couch from the far end of the room. Man, when the weight started to rattle I almost shi* my pants, hehe.

I can use the thing blindfolded now. I usually keep the stove on high until it starts to rattle then you can lower the heat a little and find that optimum temp. to keep pressure. Good luck!

Entheonaut

"Life is my Religion, The World is my Church" - Entheonaut

--------------------
Entheonaut

"Life is my Religion, The World is my Church" - Entheonaut

OfflineAtticMonkey
Fart SniffinPrimate

#323799 - 05/22/01 10:19 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks everybody, I feel alot better about using it. I was thinking of putting it on a hot plate in the middle of my backyard and running an extension cord to it before, but now that i know the steam from under the handle is normal i think ill try the kitchen. I will let you guys know how it turns out. Take care!

--------------------

OfflineChangLee
enthusiast
    #323890 - 05/23/01 12:22 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

howdy, Monkey.

I had the same issues way back when as a young pressure cooker pup.

As one stated earlier, the steam escaping is normal until the pressure builds up.

One thing I've learned from experience, and greatly shortens the process. . . is to fill the cooker about an inch with H20, put it on a high flame uncovered. . until the water is JUST ABOUT ready to come to a boil--then load the jars, and when you hear the water boiling--THEN put on the lid.

There you have it--from LIDDED to ROCKIN' in 3 minutes or less.

Once the rocker starts going, turn down the flame until the rocker only rocks several times a minute.

Works for me. . . . .

--------------------
". . . and I'm searchin' for the latest thing, a break in this routine--I'm talkin' some new kicks; ones like you ain't never seen. . . . "

Offlinetom
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Nope
Re: Pressure Canner Explosion? [Re: ChangLee]
    #324025 - 05/23/01 07:52 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah same thing happenin with mine; steam out the handle and sides then steady steam out the adjustable top. BUT does your mirro PC have a rounded bottom? The bottom of my PC is like the bottom of a bowl. It is convex and I am really worried about it exploding and sending PC and glass schrapnel all into my fat ass.

"Ha ha" -- Nelson

"Never trade or buy from DXMHEAD420... he ripped me off and was an ass about it too" -- Myself

--------------------
"It must be your stamps girl... cause it aint your face" -- Juvenile

"Only in America does someone order a cheese burger, large fries, and a diet Coke" -- ?

"DXMHEAD420 ripped me off and was an ass about it too" -- Myself

OfflineAtticMonkey
Fart SniffinPrimate

Re: Pressure Canner Explosion? [Re: tom]
    #324200 - 05/23/01 01:05 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Im not sure about anyone else but the bottom of my pc is flat and level. Kinda makes me wonder what could have happend to cause the bottom on it to warp out like that, the metal is pretty strong. Think it could have been from the pressure inside? If so your talking some hella dangerous levels. Be careful man!

--------------------

Offlinetom
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Nope
    #324271 - 05/23/01 02:42 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

There are no cracks or signs of warping. I'm planning on using it a little longer then trading it in for a brand new one.

"Ha ha" -- Nelson

"Never trade or buy from DXMHEAD420... he ripped me off and was an ass about it too" -- Myself

--------------------
"It must be your stamps girl... cause it aint your face" -- Juvenile

"Only in America does someone order a cheese burger, large fries, and a diet Coke" -- ?

"DXMHEAD420 ripped me off and was an ass about it too" -- Myself

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale