Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDarkFluFFy
Vapid Soul

Pressure Canner Question?
    #3623463 - 01/13/05 03:22 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hi I just received my pressure canner through the mail and I gave it a test run. I put 2 jars in and poured in about 1 inch of water. I turned on the heat to high for about 10 minutes then put the pressure on 15 psi. I noticed that there was steam that started to come out though the handle area. Is this normal for steam to come out of the handle or any other strange area? I noticed when I look on the inside of the lid that there was a little opening valve right under the handle. I think that's why the steam is coming out. Should that valve be closed? Forgive me if this a stupid question I'm new with pressure canners. Here are some pics-

That is the valve right under the handle.

I should of taken a pic of the actual steam but I didn't want to set it up again.

Anyone?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblewoodzmun
listening tonature
Re: Pressure Canner Question? [Re: DarkFluFFy]
    #3623496 - 01/13/05 03:33 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Some pressure cookers have a valve at the handle that opens and closes relating to the pressure. It is there so you can't open it to the pressure drops. Sometimes there is steam coming from this valve, but eventually it closes. Give it another run and see if it closes and if it reaches proper pressure. Set the heat to med-high and give it at least 20 min. Also the instructions that came with it should explain all of the features of your particular type of cooker/canner. I would suggest reading those very closely.

Offlinekiss
numbnuts
 User Gallery

Loc: under your bed
    #3623508 - 01/13/05 03:36 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Not to worry bud! This always happens to me. That little valve their should be connected to a small lever...so to speak. When the pressure builds, the valve will shut, there by causing a small lever to come down and lock the handle so you can't open it.
Take alook around that area and see if you can find what I'm talking about....under the handle that is.
If thats not the case then let us know.

--------------------
see dick drink
see dick drive
see dick die
don't be a dick!

OfflineToKa
Stranger
Re: Pressure Canner Question? [Re: kiss]
    #3623804 - 01/13/05 04:54 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I wouldnt worry. But the best thing to do is to read the manual for the pressure canner,they can be dangerous if not used properly.

--------------------
Domino MoFo!!!

OfflineDarkFluFFy
Vapid Soul

Re: Pressure Canner Question? [Re: ToKa]
    #3623828 - 01/13/05 05:00 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I dont have a manual I got it on ebay. Will the canner like explode if I use it wrong?????

Offline_Lucid_
journeyman
 User Gallery

Loc: no-mans land
    #3623898 - 01/13/05 05:17 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i find the best way is to leave the lid off with it on high until you get a good roaring boil with a lot of steam and then put the lid on, the high pressure helps the gasket seal quick, and then once you get steam comming out of the release valve, lower the temp so the ball just jiggles around a little.

--------------------
The believer is happy, the doubter is wise
- Hungarian proverb

InvisibleNOS4A2
Sh!tApple

Loc: notfarfromtheshittree Flag
Re: Pressure Canner Question? [Re: _Lucid_]
    #3623969 - 01/13/05 05:32 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Lucid- I agree-that also helps if your prone to forgetting to turn the temp down after it starts to whistle!

--------------------
Hail to the King, Baby
CulturingTech

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

Re: Pressure Canner Question? [Re: NOS4A2]
    #3624352 - 01/13/05 06:58 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

That might be a little peg that keeps you from trying to get the lid off when it's under pressure.if it isn't seated properly steam will escape from it.If mine is steaming I give it a tap and it seats properly.
:jester:

--------------------
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
NEWB NEWBIE NEWCOMER IGNORANT? QUESTIONS?
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

Offlineticktock
Seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Just ask the rabbit.
Re: Pressure Canner Question? [Re: Peterthinks]
    #3624679 - 01/13/05 08:17 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

If you had the instructions, they would say to put a little vegetable oil on your gasket now and then.

I leave the rocker off at first. When the first steam comes, I rotate the cover back and forth a little to get it seated. Sometimes it still sputters for a few minutes, but then behaves itself.

The steam does not mean that your life is in danger. As long as the rocker is dancing now and then, you have pressure. If the leak keeps up, it's wasting water. You might want to put some extra in there if you are running low.

A new gasket might be in order too. Here's where I got mine.
http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com

--------------------
Don't panic!

Offlinegsmith
reformed lurker
Re: Pressure Canner Question? [Re: ticktock]
    #3627635 - 01/14/05 10:08 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

actually vegetable oil breaks down rubber. I think my manual says not to use it.

most pressure cookers that are at least newer than 20 years old have so many safety features on them that you would have to purposely try to make them explode, and even then it would be hard. Still, it's not a bad idea to check with the manufacturer about getting another manual. If you live in a rural area, maybe your county extension could explain the proper use of it for you.

--------------------
------
this is a signature

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3627687 - 01/14/05 11:35 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DarkFluFFy said:
I dont have a manual I got it on ebay. Will the canner like explode if I use it wrong?????

See if the maker of the PC has a web site , if so they may have a printable dumby sheet (instructions) , that or you may be able to buy one from them . If all else fails directions are the way to go .
Good thinking though ... doing a practice run , even if you bought a new PC that is good thinking  :thumbup:

All this hubba balloo about using vg oil or vasealine , my PC says to use oil , but have not had to , will just buy new gasket if ever starts to leak  :wink:

GL

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Pressure Canner Question? [Re: tripndicular]
    #3627713 - 01/14/05 11:48 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

>All this hubba balloo about using vg oil or vasealine , my PC says to use oil , but have not
>had to , will just buy new gasket if ever starts to leak

As it has been said previously, vegetable oil will make theseal rubber  brittle. Use vaseline instead.

(don't use vasiline on condoms though, they are from a different material than the pressure cooker rubber! :wink:  )

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: Pressure Canner Question? [Re: Anno]
    #3627739 - 01/14/05 11:57 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Do you think is a conspiracy by manufactures to get us to use veggie oil ... knowing it will damage gasket , so we must buy new one sooner  :wink:

I normally follow directions , but for now will leave it alone till it leaks , then get new one  :cool:

I agree ... in HPR we do all our seals and gaskets , "o" rings, with Vaseline or white grease to keep them from leaking and drying out . Is a must when dealing with 1000+ newtons of thrust  :wink:

Hey some of us weirdos like the idea of condoms that leak  :smirk: :crazy2:

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflineDarkFluFFy
Vapid Soul

Re: Pressure Canner Question? [Re: tripndicular]
    #3628514 - 01/14/05 03:02 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I tried doing another test run like you all said yet again Still the steam keeps pouring out of the handle. I cooked it for about 1 hour. I decided to unscrew it and think I mite of found the problem. Even when pressure is applied with my hand there is still little leaks around the black ring area of the valve. Can I just cook the jars without the handle and close the little leaks manually with some kind of material or is that valve THAT important.?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation