Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
cacti from seed - substrate sterilization - your opinion pls
    #3203791 -

hi fellows gardeners, it is spring here in the southern hemisphere and i am planning to start some cacti from seed.
i was browsing the web, the garden FAQ and read Michael Smith's page which is very good and is basically the school i intend to follow ( http://cactus-mall.com/ccc/ ), the issue is actually very simple. my microwave oven is too small for the tray i want to use (its a small oven, not a huuuuge tray), i was wondering if i would have to split the substrate into smaller trays or if i could get the big tray sufficiently sterilized by pouring a few liters of boiling water over it. i think it should emulate pretty well a microwave boiling, >>> what do you think?
i plan to plant like a hundred or so seeds and i wanted most of them to survive, since the seedling stage is the most critical, the substrate care is crucial.
otherwise i'll just split into smaller pots... i just wanted that only simple tray running smooth! =)


FH

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: cacti from seed - substrate sterilization - your opinion pls [Re: felixhigh]
    #3203890 -

I've sterilized my substrate a few times before by just pouring boiling water on the soil. I experienced no problems, or maybe a bit more algae. But the soil was more soaked this way, and not nicely moist like it should be. I think I would microwave smaller amounts of soil, and then combine them afterwards in the big tray while still hot. Good luck with you grow and looking forward to see some pics.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: cacti from seed - substrate sterilization - your opinion [Re: felixhigh]
    #3204047 -

If you wanted to make a massive ammount, You could always do it ghetto style.... a bon fire, and a large metal bin...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: cacti from seed - substrate sterilization - your opinion [Re: felixhigh]
    #3204208 -

I sterilize my soil in a regular oven at 400f for 45 minutes or so. Seems to work well. I'm sure you could also use a pressure cooker to sterilize with. I think you want the temperature greater than you would get by boiling.


--------------------
~ Dead to the Core ~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: cacti from seed - substrate sterilization - your opinion [Re: Funkey]
    #3204380 -

good idea, i think i'll sterilize the moist substrate in the microwave and dump it while still hot in the tray...
pictures will come soon...


FH

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: cacti from seed - substrate sterilization - your opinion [Re: felixhigh]
    #3204653 -

I've never sterilised my soil and I don't normally use fungicide and I've had no problems at all. I'm not saying those things are not good to do, I'm just saying I don't do it. I just sprinkle the seeds on top of the soil, cover with 1 seeds thickness of sand, keep moist and wait. I put plastic wrap over the top to keep moisture in. You could use a little neem oil on the soil if you are concerned about fungus.

Stoney

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* floro's or heat? whats better for cacti seed germination? wizeoldgnome 1,164 5 01/06/03 11:34 AM
by Ripple
* Rooting San Pedro from Seed dastats 1,081 1 10/25/03 03:08 AM
by W1ll1ams11
* some cacti questions T0aD 958 6 02/21/03 01:39 AM
by peruvian spark
* Lophophora Williamsii seeds LCid 18,750 7 09/30/02 04:17 PM
by rosewoodpete
* Cacti: growning Peyote, San Pedro and Peruvian Torch lighten 3,551 5 05/21/16 03:56 AM
by Mostly_Harmless
* VVVV Free Ethno Seeds Thread VVVV
( 1 2 3 4 ... 14 15 )
ChromeCrow 51,546 290 08/31/04 10:10 PM
by neuro
* san pedro seeds mikey 906 1 09/09/03 03:54 PM
by neuro
* Expanding my cacti collection...any suggestions? wizeoldgnome 883 4 06/06/03 05:30 AM
by wizeoldgnome

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
1,212 topic views. 0 members, 11 guests and 7 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.024 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.