Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
Re: Abbie Hoffman album (mp3s) [Re: Learyfan]
    #3188156 - 09/27/04 07:44 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Joe Fink:
The hippie community in the ninth precint was a very volotile one. There were a number of different factions that were fighting for contol. You had Abbie Hoffman and his group in one corner. The up against the wall motherfuckers. You had bikers who were in a whole different thing; they were threatening and violent, were milking the community and the kids for all they could get out of it. The Up Against the Wall Motherfuckers, I think, were the real virulent faction of the community, because they kept stirring up the problems; they kept handing out brochures complaining about the cops and complaining about the lack of freedom they thought they were being subjected to. Shortly before the festival the Motherfuckers distributed a leaflet sayng,. "Lets all go to Woodstock and greet the New York fuzz who will be up there unarmed. Lets give them a real warm welcome" When this was brought to police Commissioner Learys attention, we said, "He's not going to let his cops go up there and be overwhelmed by thousands of hippies and people who were looking to get even with them" In fact, he issued a memorandum directing that an order be issued on the teletype to all the precint station houses saying that it would be a violation of regulations gor anyone to go up to Woodstock where they may be subjected to the threats of a mob. And that created a consternation with us because we were all set for our securety people. Everthing was ready, and here he says anybody that does it will be in violation of the rules and regulations and could be thrown off the job or punished. If it were a question of losing their job or making fifty or sixty dollars a day, there was no questoin of what would happen. The department order banning police involvement hit the papers just a couple of days before they were supposed to go up there, and the New York Times blasted Leary in an editorial. And that cooked my goose with Lear, of course--but they blasted him for at the last minute depriving this operation of their security force, and that could create quite a safety problem.

Wes Pomeroy:
And another deal was made with Abbie Hoffman and his folks- that was multifaceted. One was that he could park his truck right near the gate with a printing press and crank up anti-establishment and maybe anti-Woodstock stuff all this time-that was O.K.- in exchange for his diffusing the real wild guys from New York City. Nobody else could get close to them. There was more to it than that. He had lawyers who met our lawyers. We had lawyers hired as legal defense, and they were integrated with a whole bunch of medical supplies for the facilities we had there at the festival. And Abbie had a doctor or two, or people who thought they knew this stuff, and they were really looking over our list of stuff we had ordered. And what they were looking for was stuff to treat people who had been gassed, because they didn't trust us. I also - I had some trouble in my own staff but they very quickly gave into it because it was no longer participatory management-gave them a couple of radios so they would be on our frequency. Completely open, so they were able to see what we were doing and be able to help us out. So we were just diffusing them, thats all. Thats what we were trying to do. Thats the way we handled the Hells Angels. We knew when they were coming because my New York state police contacts were telling me. We couldn't deal with them as a group, so we picked up several of them and made messengers out of them. We needed motorcyclers for messengers. The only thing you could use was horses or motorcycles. I think we hired two of them. But our plan was that if we got a lot of them we'd hire them individually and get them on individual tasks.

Abbie Hoffman:
I remember watching Joan Baez and talking to her backstage. I remember she kept complaining- she didn't like rock music, it was too loud, it wasn't political enough. She's sort of not a dedonistic person, not a Dionysian person. Shes kind of stiff. I said, "Joan, I want you to hold my knife." She said, "You know I'm nonviolent." You know , like an instinctual response. And i was saying, "Who said I wasn't? What do you think- this is for cutting food, this is for helping people at the hospital. I just want to give it to you for a present. Don't freak out" It was just a gift. I had the hots for her.

Michael Lang:
The Who was the high point of the day for me. And i was sitting with Abbie Hoffman onstage watching The Who. A bunch of people were onstage for that when he got whacked on the back of the head by Townshend.

John Morris: Abbie i knew as the contra, the enemy, when i was running the Fillmore- the Yippie, the clown prince of the revolution. But Abbie turned the minute the festival started. Abbie stopped being the revolutionary, he stopped all the contra stuff. Abbie went to work in the trips tent. And Abbie worked his tail off. He held kids, he talked to people, he worked with them. He just became a medical assistant and the whole thing. And he really just kept doing these wonderully supposedly out of character things. What he did was show what his real character is, what he was, and that he did care and that he was involved, and that he understood. And Satuday I thanked him publicly on the mike and it flipped him out. He'd also taken a little something, too. And he got real upset with me. He said, "your going to blow my whole thing. you go up there on the stage and you tell those people that im a nice guy and i'm helping, you know, all the rest of the shit. Your going to destroy me" and he sort of went off and i think he did some more drugs or whatever it was. Then, he decided in the Middle of the Who set that he had to tell the world about John Sinclair being held prisoner in Wisconsin or Michigan or wherever he was, and free him. He came up from behind Townshend and Townshend didn't know who the hell he was, and Townshend laid him one upside the head with a guitar and Abbie went off the front of the stage and just kept going till he got to New York City.

Michael Lang: Abbie was a little out of it. At one point in the day, he came to me and said, "Somebodys got a knife. Weve got to get him" He and i were running around below the stage looking for this- I think- fictitious character. I think he was just tripping. I said, "Abbie, theres nobody here with a knife" We talked for a while and i think he had taken a little too much acid. I said, "Why don't you come up and watch The Who?" I sat him down at the side of the stage and we were sitting there. He kept saying, "I gotta go say something about John Sinclair, I gotta go say something about John Sinclair." I said, "Its not really the time. Nobody really wants to hear that right now. Theres an act on stage and its just not the time for this." I guess we were about twenty minutes into the set and he couldn't take it any more. He just could not contain himself and he leaped up and ran to the microphone and started talking about John Sinclair. He got mabey a sentence out- they were in the middle of it- and Pete Townshend turned around and whacked him. And i guess he was stunned. Anyway he jumped off the front of the stage onto the camera platform and then into the crowd and ran off and that was the last time I'd seen him. I heard that he turned up in a hospital in Monticello later that night, saying that he was me and that he was taking over the hospital.

Abbie Hoffman: That was a big crackdown year, 1969,. Nixon was already into Operation Intercept and everything, and there was a big war and one of the twelve major wars on drugs in this century was happening then. There was a symbol of the Youth International Party, John Sinclair, cecause he was a leader of the White Panther Party- they were Yippie affiliates in Ann Arbor- and he was given ten years in jail for either passing a marijuana cigaretted in a circle to a narc, or selling him two- I'm not exactly sure about that. Anyway, the sentence was way outragious. It was obvious they were goin after him because he was a political leader as well. So, "Free John Sinclair" was, for the counterculture, the same as "Free Huey Newton" was for the black power movement. I told Michael and Artie, "We have to do something about legalizing Marijuana, making a case that it isn't fair for people who are smoking marijuana to be put away. Because you've got five hundred thousand people here, ninety percent of whom are smoking, right off the bat. And we have the power of the people" There it was being demonstrated: No ones being arrested at Woodstock. No way. So i wanted the bodys- the promoters- to kind of help out in terms of making a contibution through a bail fund. I'm not sure whether NORML had been developed yet, but that thinking was in my mind. Lets set up some kind of fund, so we can bail people out, so we can get publicity. That this isn't the biggest crime in America. And they were quite receptive to this. At first they weren't. They said "Look everybodys in free. Were taking a bath" and i said " i know your taking a bath but i see all the cameras here- i mean you'v got 45 cameras here . The biggest guards were concentrated on on e van- its not wher the money was, its wher the cans of film were. Thats how they were going to recoup their losses, was throught the film. So i saw all that "but why don't we tithe ourselves like the churches do? We tithe ten percent to a fund.: "Great idea" Artie was ready to give away the house , so they agreed.
So were sitting around the stage. A huge stage-wow!- I don't think theres even been a bigger stage in the world. Kind of Indian fashoin- our legs crossed- and being in the movie, having a good time. I t was the most relaxed state i'd been in in days. And i said, "well, when are you going to announce this?" and they said "were thinking of having a press conference when its over" and i said "Over! No! You don't understand. I like you guys but youv got to announce it now. Theres five hundred thouand people. the world should hear it now. Just tell them." "Well, we dont want to interrupt the music," and all of this. And thyr hemming and hawing. the group before The Who- i don't remember who it was- they had shut down. and there were gaps. and in these gaps, there were a lot of announcements being made- a whole system of communication through the microphone. Mostly it was Chip Moncks voice: "Mary, meet Adam at the green tent" and "Don't drink the water from the stream over beyond the big boulder: thats bad." Or "The red tabs of acid are not so good" The announcements were done in a calming, reassuring voice, but with a lot of important informations given out. So i got up and said "if your not going to announce it, I'm going to announce it" and i walked up to the microphone and started giving a quick rap , which im good at. If you'v given political raps at musical concers, you know you'v got to be quick: you've got to be visual. Youv got to ask one thing and get the hell out of there as quick as you can. So i said something to the effect of "four hundred thousand of our brothers an sisters are in jail for doing no more than were doing on this hill. Its nly fair that we help out. We are the Woodstock Nation. We are one." Something like that. and the mike got cut off. They cut the mike, which was an insult. Because the announcement was just as important as all the other announcements they were making. It could have been between The Who doing a song, then readjusting their instruments. It could have been before the Who came on, or durning thir se. But they weren't playing. I didn't run up and grab the mike out of Peter Townshends hand, thats for sure. There was a pause, and i got up to make my announcement. So they cut off the mike and i exploded. I said "What the fuck did they do that for?" and i kcied the mike. and as i turned around to walk back, i rember townshend was turning around and we bumped- that was it we just bumped. And Lang was saying "that was uncool" they were saying "Boooo. That was bad vibes." and i'm saying "thats exactly what should have been said. You should have been the ones that said it. Fuck you! I'm with them" I don't think Townshend was a major player here. They were just in their heads about playing teir song. And i ran to the front of the stage- which was about ten, fifteen feet- and i leaped. meshugena. Good thing it rained. it was kind of muddy. and i landed and climed over the next fence and just walked up into the movs of people. And people would slap me an say "you said it right. you told it, brother"

i'll type up the rest when i recover from this carpal tunnel

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Abbie Hoffman album (mp3s) [Re: Learyfan]
    #3188207 - 09/27/04 07:52 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

hey thanks for both the album and all that typing... what book is that coming from?

oh - and learyfan, if you can keep the links running until later this week (wednesday at the lastest?) - then i'll be able to download it all... thanks!!!

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Abbie Hoffman album (mp3s) [Re: Dreamer987]
    #3188563 - 09/27/04 08:57 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Wow, thanks again Dreamer. I'm printing that out so's I can read it later.

Krishna: It'll still be up by Wednesday.  :thumbup:

BTW: One of my favorite tracks from this album was "Dope vs. Murder". I like when he said that you get more time for dealing dope to a kid than for manslaughter. He said something like  "So if you're dealing to a kid and a cop comes along, shoot the kid." :lol:

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate