Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Butter VS. Margarine
    #3097387 - 09/06/04 12:14 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

got this email, check out these facts:

DO YOU KNOW...the difference between margarine and butter? Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, accor! ding to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.

And now, for Margarine...

Very high in trans fatty acids...

Triple risk of coronary heart disease..

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) Lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol) ....

Increases the! risk of cancers by up to five fold...

Lowers quality of breast milk...

Decreases immune response...

Decreases insulin response.

And here is the most disturbing fact....

HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC...

This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

YOU can try this yourself: purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things: no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something) ... it does not rot or smell differently..because it ! ;has no nutritional value, nothing will grow on it...even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
Re: Butter VS. Margarine [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #3097392 - 09/06/04 12:15 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I heard it was one teaspoon from being plastic.

--------------------

OfflinePhishgrrl
Walking in thetall trees...
 User Gallery

#3097399 - 09/06/04 12:16 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

yeah margarine is the devil. Unless you get the good organic kind with no hydrogenated oils. I buy earth balance and it is totally different than the "regular" nasty shit.

I think organic butter is a great way to go too. Mushrooms taste so delightful sauteed in it! MMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

--------------------
Once in awhile you can get shown the light

In the strangest of places if you look at it right...

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: Butter VS. Margarine [Re: Phishgrrl]
    #3097423 - 09/06/04 12:21 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

im converting to butter..i was all about country crock

OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Loc: Final Frontier
    #3097434 - 09/06/04 12:23 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Margerine is hydrogenated which is nasty stuff. Don't ever eat margerine. i thought that was common knowlege?

--------------------
Kira: What do Klingons dream about?

Worf: Things that would send cold chills down your spine, and wake you up in the middle of the night. No, it is better you do not know

Invisiblechinadoll
there
 User Gallery

Loc: dark side of terrapin
    #3097438 - 09/06/04 12:24 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I've always used butter......even when I said it was margarine

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: Butter VS. Margarine [Re: Worf]
    #3097440 - 09/06/04 12:24 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

guess im the last to find this out

OfflinePhishgrrl
 User Gallery

#3097442 - 09/06/04 12:25 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

:lol:. Don't buy non-organic butter though! It's got all the nasty shit CONCENTRATED in it.

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3097454 - 09/06/04 12:27 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I wasn't aware of this. Thanks for posting this! :laugh:

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

#3097455 - 09/06/04 12:27 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i live with my cousin now..she is a total hippy, phish head..there is so much organic and soy stuff in my fridge now...its outta control :tongue:

OfflinePhishgrrl
 User Gallery

#3097478 - 09/06/04 12:32 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Good. Now you'll be all healthy and shit. :laugh: healthy is fun.

--------------------

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

#3097489 - 09/06/04 12:33 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

booooo i dont liek soy milk!

OfflinePhishgrrl
 User Gallery

#3097496 - 09/06/04 12:34 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

??????? Drink organic cow spooge then. :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblechinadoll
there
 User Gallery

Loc: dark side of terrapin
    #3097578 - 09/06/04 12:57 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

real milk and butter!!!!!

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
    #3097994 - 09/06/04 04:30 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

"Don't buy non-organic butter though! It's got all the nasty shit CONCENTRATED in it."

Well....

Butter is made from the fats of animals, and animlas, organically raised or not concentrate toxins in their fat, therefore organic or not butter sucks.

If you are going to eat an animal, sure eat an organic one, but that "natural" pollution is still inside the fat.

(personally, I dont eat any dairy or butter, but I will eat almost everything else as long as its raised well)...but mostly just eggs, and chicken,and all sort of soy "meats"

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#3098003 - 09/06/04 04:40 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

"because it ! ;has no nutritional value, nothing will grow on it...even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?"

Thats misleading, because first of all not all margarines are the same.

Quote:

Question: I am still confused over the age-old controversy ?butter vs. margarine?. Which is better for me to eat?

Answer: I can certainly understand your frustration, especially when you are trying your best to follow a heart-healthy diet. Let?s look at why butter and margarine both get a bad rap.

First let?s look at butter. The problem with butter is that it contains two cholesterol-raising ingredients: dietary cholesterol and saturated fat. Dietary cholesterol is found only in animal products so you won?t find any cholesterol in a plant-based food or food product (such as margarine). Some of us are more affected by cholesterol in the diet than others, meaning some people can consume a diet high in cholesterol without blood cholesterol levels being affected; but others need only eat a little dietary cholesterol and their cholesterol levels soar. Overall, it is recommended that healthy persons consume no more than 200 milligrams cholesterol each day. Butter has 33 milligrams of cholesterol in one tablespoon alone!

Cholesterol aside, butter?s biggest trouble is its saturated fat content. Saturated fats are solid at room temperature and are found largely in red meat, high-fat dairy products (like butter) as well as coconut and palm oils. When eaten in excess, saturated fats increase the ?bad? cholesterol (LDL) as well as the ?good? cholesterol (HDL). Despite the fact that saturated fats raise good cholesterol, they don?t raise it enough for us to warrant you eating it. Saturated fat intakes are associated with increases in heart-disease risk. A healthy range of saturated fat is 10-15 grams each day. Just one tablespoon of butter contains over 7 grams of saturated fat!

Margarine is by no means void of artery clogging fat. The controversy with margarine lies with its level of trans fat, largely a man-made fat. Trans fats are formed when hydrogen is added to vegetable oils, making the oil more solid and less likely to spoil. This process is called hydrogenation or partial hydrogenation and allows stick margarine to be firm at room temperature. Trans fats have been shown to increase the ?bad? cholesterol (LDL) similarly to saturated fats, and they tend to lower the ?healthy? (HDL) cholesterol when eaten in large amounts. What?s more ? trans fats may make our blood platelets stickier. While no standard intakes of trans fat have been set, one tablespoon of stick margarine packs a whopping 3 grams of trans fat and 2 grams saturated fat.

But a little margarine ?know-how? will help you reduce the amount of trans fat you eat. The more solid a margarine is at room temperature, the more trans fat it contains. For example, stick margarine contains the most trans fat, 3 grams in one tablespoon. Switch to tub or liquid margarine and you?ve cut that by almost 2/3, from 1-2 grams trans fat. And the good news is margarine manufacturers are now cutting their trans fat levels even further, to less than 0.5 grams per serving! This low level is allowed to carry the claim ?trans fat free or zero-trans fat?. How do they do it? They switched their first ingredient from partially hydrogenated vegetable oil to water or liquid vegetable oil.

Now you have some choices and your answer: margarine (the trans-free tub or liquid kinds) is still recommended over butter. For those of you who choose to have a ?little? butter once in a while (for example, 1 teaspoon a couple times a month) you shouldn?t have to worry, but it?s better to be safe than sorry. On a regular basis, aim for the growing number of tub and liquid trans-free margarines available on the market today and rest-assured that you are eating in a more heart-healthy manner. If you have high cholesterol, your doctor may even recommend two trans-free cholesterol-lowering margarines called Take Control? and Benecol?. They taste similar to other tub margarines.

For more information on a heart-healthy diet plan, please contact the Preventive Cardiology and Rehabilitation Program at 216.444-9353 (or toll-free at 800/223-2273, extension 49353) and we can schedule a nutrition consultation.
Quote:

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/heartcenter/pub/guide/prevention/askdietician/margarine.htm

--------------------

Edited by Psilocybeingzz (09/06/04 05:05 AM)

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Butter VS. Margarine [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #3098018 - 09/06/04 05:04 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

# Use butter instead of margarine or shortening in cooking. Butter has some problems, too, such as residual hormones and pesticides, but it is a whole food. Whole foods have fat-mobilising nutrients to take care of their own fats if eaten in moderation. If you want to use butter, try to get organically-produced butter.

# An even better alternative is the organic ghee, or clarified butter, mentioned earlier. Ghee is the cooking fat most highly regarded by Indian and French chefs. It has a good aroma and will not burn, smoke or develop toxic compounds when heated.

# Organic, unrefined coconut butter is an alternative to regular butter in your diet. Omega Nutrition has this product. However, most other coconut oil products are hydrogenated. Coconut oil has been subjected to a smear campaign by commercial vegetable oil producers, but the research studies cited have used hydrogenated coconut oil, which may have skewed the results.

# Use olive oil or a 50:50 mixture of ghee and olive oil. Do not fry or saut? with "polyunsaturated" light oils such as safflower, sunflower or corn oils. They oxidise readily into damaging free-radicals at high temperatures. Free radicals are highly reactive molecules that can tear into your cells and start nasty chain reactions that can leave behind extensive damage, including alteration of your genetic code (DNA) and formation of cancer cells. Free radicals are widely considered to play a major role in degenerative disease. While there are virtually no EFAs in olive oil, it is rich in "mono-unsaturated" fatty acids and is not so easily oxidised. Use an "extra virgin, cold-pressed, first pressing" olive oil, preferably with a greenish colour and some sediment on the bottom, which usually indicates less processing. Most co-ops carry it.

# Buy your oil in sealed bottles and avoid the bulk oils in co-ops, since they are usually rancid (free radicals again). An oil that tastes bitter when you place a drop on your tongue is rancid and should not be consumed.

--------------------

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
    #3098034 - 09/06/04 05:19 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:
guess im the last to find this out

Like the old saying goes...
"Young dumb and full of misinformation"

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #3098091 - 09/06/04 06:37 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I could tell the meaning of a word like serene
I got some 'O' Grades when I was sixteen
I can tell the difference between magarine and butter
I can say "Saskatchewan" without starting to stutter

But I can't understand why we let someone else rule our land, cap in hand

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: Butter VS. Margarine [Re: Annom]
    #3098096 - 09/06/04 06:43 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Now I know why my mother raised me on butter instead of margarine.

--------------------
Agent 727

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds