Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon Air Pump, Air Stone, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMad_Hatter2004
Surfista Amigo
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in teh Northern... Flag
FAE holes for PMP?
    #3079537 - 09/01/04 09:45 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Just went to Petsmart and picked up a 10-15 gallon air pump for my 52 quart Fruiting chamber,an 18" bubble wand and some tubing.My question is,where do I drill the Air exchange holes for my fruiting chamber?

--------------------
7 days without waves makes one weak!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTripleB
Hobbyist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Michigan
Re: FAE holes for PMP? [Re: Mad_Hatter2004]
    #3079703 - 09/01/04 10:22 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

no need to drill a hole man ... well im lazy, but still LOL ... i have a toybox style setup, were the top part of my PMP closes like this / \ and folds down __ so i just drape them in the middle and its not 100% closed, but it works just fine and dandy, no contams yet, and ive fruited 3 casings so far!

by the way: i leave the air pump on all the time

BUT IF U DO WANNA DRILL A HOLE:
u can drill it ANYWERE, the most space saving would be about 1 - 2" from the bottom, just so the hoses are in a straight line to the bubbler on the bottom (sposing thats wut yur doing) ... u will have to either put the hoses in SNUG AS HELL, so water doesnt drip out, or seal around it, using a sealer that bonds to plastic man .. if u need more info, let me know  :shiftyeyes:

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3080345 - 09/02/04 12:16 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Put your holes immediately above the hydroton/grorocs and stuff them with polyfil. These are not FAE holes but the combination of pumping air in and the co2 rich air exiting through these holes will give you one hell of an optimum growing chamber! IMO :wink:

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #3080371 - 09/02/04 12:22 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

If your making a pmp the holes go in the lid and there is a reason for it.

The fundamental principal behind using air entrainment is to sufficiently mix the two (fresh air and stale air) together and then re-distribute them back into the environment in a more balanced way that is then more beneficial to the mushroom crop. Without this sufficient mixing of the gasses present within the grow space, the crops will remain stunted and will likely never reach their optimum potential.

With the poor mans pod, the settling co2 air is met and diffused by a curtain of fresh air rising from beneath the Geo-lite surface. This rising flow of air is created from the air diffuser rod situated below the Geo-lite surface, which is powered by the air pump. The rising air pattern not only prohibits the heavier co2 air from settling down onto the bottom surface as usual but it also simultaneously diffuses the co2 with fresh air as it is distributed back into the environment or grow space where it can be put to good use.

In this way, the poor mans pod creates the same desired phenomenon as offered by more conventional means of air entrainment found in much larger-scale commercial applications where a mixing box is commonly used to accomplish this important task.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineMad_Hatter2004
Surfista Amigo
Male User Gallery

Re: FAE holes for PMP? [Re: Magash]
    #3080533 - 09/02/04 01:23 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Wow!Thanks Magash!! :thumbup:

One more question.....how big (diameter or circumfrence) should the holes be and how many?

--------------------

Offlinenewcultivator
    #3080542 - 09/02/04 01:29 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

what exactly is FAE and PMP??

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: FAE holes for PMP? [Re: newcultivator]
    #3080560 - 09/02/04 01:37 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Fresh air exchange and poor mans pod

OfflineMad_Hatter2004
Surfista Amigo
Male User Gallery

Re: FAE holes for PMP? [Re: hyphae]
    #3080675 - 09/02/04 02:14 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Anyone know what size holes I need to make in teh lid?

Also.I have a 52 quart sterelite container for a fruiting chamber and I went out and bought an air pump suitable for a 10-15 gallon aquarium and well 52 quarts is 13 gallons.I plan to leave the pump on 24/7 as Magash suggests...is this pump to large for the purpose of a pmp with this size container?

--------------------

Edited by Mad_Hatter2004 (09/02/04 02:37 AM)

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #3080677 - 09/02/04 02:15 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Well what I do is put two one inch holes then I take two pieces of rubber and put a screw threw them. I then put them on in a way so you can slide a rubber piece over the holes making them larger or smaller. This allows for a little control over the humidity

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineMad_Hatter2004
Surfista Amigo
Male User Gallery

Re: FAE holes for PMP? [Re: Magash]
    #3080868 - 09/02/04 02:59 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Well what I do is put two one inch holes then I take two pieces of rubber and put a screw threw them. I then put them on in a way so you can slide a rubber piece over the holes making them larger or smaller. This allows for a little control over the humidity

Cool.By rubber do you mean like rubber washers for screws?

I am using a 52 quart/13 gallon sterelite container .

And I have a Top Fin air pump thats recomended for 10-15 gallon aquariums.What size pump would I want to use for optimal conditions in this size container if leaving on 24/7?

Here are a few pics of one of my cakes,that I happened to dunk.

Strain=Amazon

Same cake as one above:Theres so many pins on the bottom of this cake,you can't see al of them but thats because of the camera I am using.

Second pic of the bottom of the cake

--------------------

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #3081148 - 09/02/04 04:59 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Has anyone had any problems getting the temperature to stay down in the PMP??? Its been hard to keep it down in the 70s, wants to be in the low 90s and mid 80s.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Offlinebudslide
Stranger

Re: FAE holes for PMP? [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3082585 - 09/02/04 02:19 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Mad Hatter: I'm pretty sure how many gallons the pump is rated for doesn't matter for pmp purposes, the fact that its for a 15 gallon aquarium just means that it provides enough air for fish to live in 15 gallons of water... I've got a 55 gallon air pump, and I still wish it was bigger

hawksapprentice: I've heard putting a clean pop bottle full of ice can drop 10 deg. in 1 hour

OfflineMad_Hatter2004
Surfista Amigo
Male User Gallery

Re: FAE holes for PMP? [Re: budslide]
    #3082628 - 09/02/04 02:33 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

budslide said:
Mad Hatter: I'm pretty sure how many gallons the pump is rated for doesn't matter for pmp purposes, the fact that its for a 15 gallon aquarium just means that it provides enough air for fish to live in 15 gallons of water... I've got a 55 gallon air pump, and I still wish it was bigger

hawksapprentice: I've heard putting a clean pop bottle full of ice can drop 10 deg. in 1 hour

True I see what your saying budslide!

Hawksapprentice-Freeze some water in a 2 liter soda bottle and place in your fruiting chamber,it drops the temps by 10 or more degrees.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon Air Pump, Air Stone, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation