Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMystiq_Shaman
x.o.

Loc: North Calotte
Azures - preparing for next year
    #3047796 - 08/25/04 10:02 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

in july i recived some woodchips with azures mycelium on, i had them in a spawn bag with more woodchips for 3 weeks indoors then I threw them into a bed outside. You can see that the mycelium spreads but its not more than 10% colonized. I dont know if there will be any mushrooms this year from this, but I was thinking about doing this

when the winter comes Im gonna cover the beds with something (im not sure if this is necesarry but winters are getting very cold here) but I was thinking also on take some of the woodchips and threw them in 4-5 spawn bags the entire winter indoors. would this be a good idea? the spawn bags must be indoors then for 3 months maybe, is this a good idea? I was thinking that when the winter is over Im gonna make more beds and let them have the entire summer to colonize. would this work or is the risk of contam too big to have them indoor in bags?

if it will work, what is the ideal temperature to put these spawnbags?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLoki
fluid druid
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: Azures - preparing for next year [Re: Mystiq_Shaman]
    #3047806 - 08/25/04 10:08 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Covering them with a layer of straw is a good thing, it keps the frost off, and breaks down into avalible food the next summer.

you can use wood lover mycelium like the never ending porridge pot, just take a nice white, clean as possible pices and add to fresh chips.
Even if a contam sneaks in, this is normally no problem, as in time, wood lovers tend to colonise the contams any way ime.

OfflineIce House Shaman
Rider on the Storm
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #3051928 - 08/26/04 05:00 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I would be interested to know what the other parameters are in your outside bed. When you first get it in ground it does, indeed, take a while to gain a foothold, but once it does.... Azure myc is known for very aggressive behavior given the right conditions. I would double and tripple check your humidity over watering can and will slow em down or even stop em all together. Not enough watering will dry em out and .... RIP. The type and age of the chips you are using can also speed up or retard growth. You want the myc to get its water from the natural humidity that surrounds it. Shade is a must. You dont want its only source to come frome direct watering unless U use a mister on a timer. Wintering some of your chips indoors is a great idea. Thats exactly how I started myself. This year I wont really need to go out and pick at all. I do not reccomend using bags. Styrofoam containers, in my experience work best. Keep the myc in the dark, maintain the humidity, and it will be protected short term against sudden temp changes that can happen indoors, and you can open em up from time to time and mix em up or tranfer to and from. I had a couple of big 25 gal one I got from a pet store. They used them for shipping tropical fish. I dug em out of a dumpster. Contams should not be an issue with these if you keep handling to a minimum.Healthy Azure myc is pretty resiliant.

--------------------
you are not who i thought i was...

OfflineMystiq_Shaman
x.o.

Re: Azures - preparing for next year [Re: Ice House Shaman]
    #3074901 - 08/31/04 06:57 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

excellent :smile: thank you very much.

the only thing im still not sure of is the optimal temperature for azures myc growth when im gonna keep them inside for the winter.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #3080335 - 09/02/04 12:12 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

its truly as simple as this:
Isolate a strong strain - a really good one will have very thick and aggressive rhizos and may even pin in the fridge after a long period.
You add a wedge of this in a glovebox to three prepared 250ml jars that contain alder/hickory/beech etc soaked overnight, with a thin one teaspoon coating of your favourite mushroom flour (any will do) and some verm to maintain moisture.
Leave this for two months and when it is fully colonised, you add this to a smallish bag of prepared alder or beech chips and it really doesnt need to be sterile as wood is very selective. This will colonise slowly, and you can just remove any contams if they appear and continue. eventually after adding wood you can get a 4 litre bag full of spawn.
Get yourself a tray with lots of small holes in the bottom for drainage, dig a hole in a shaded spot with lots of wood mluch in the garden (mine is under a lemon tree in pine bark. place the tray in the hole and cover it with moist pinebark or any mulch
If its still warm you can maintain mositure by covering with a slab of wood, but i never bothered.
You can water it, but if you put this in in late summer, they will fruit if your climate is ideal.

--------------------

OfflineMystiq_Shaman
x.o.

Re: Azures - preparing for next year [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #3083317 - 09/02/04 05:05 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

thank you all for very good replies, they have been most helpful :smile: I will try this method bluemeanie.

Offlinericelicker
The Dude'sImaginary Friend
 Arcade Champion: Radial Snake

Loc: The Yard
    #3083341 - 09/02/04 05:13 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I give props to all you hardcore cultivators stickin it out to try and grow some the ever-elusive Azures. It seems like playing the lottery :wink:.

Just curious as I have never eaten any - is the potency that much more extreme? Is it worth all the additional work?

--------------------
"my brain waves travel at half the speed afta we..." -del tha funkee

"Two men looked out through prison bars...one saw the mud, one saw the stars." -anonymous

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation