Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinechristo
Stranger
Where to find the right woodchips!!
    #2416631 - 03/10/04 07:41 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I'm looking for alder or maple woodchips... I've called around and can't found anyplace that carries them. Does anyone know where to found them? I've found some for BBQing will that work??
Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIce House Shaman
Rider on the Storm
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Where to find the right woodchips!! [Re: christo]
    #2416946 - 03/10/04 09:39 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I have experimented with many different types and sizes of woodchips this year. I have use two different types BBQ chips. One type bought at GI Joes is a fine chopped or shredded alder. The other were fairly large, however still chips. they are marketed as "Jack Daniesls" Oak Barrel chips. I am sure many of you have seen these in the store and wondered. The are expensive, 5$ for a small bag. The JD chips work great!! I only use them for my jars that I tranfer to my beds. I had to Boil for 10 minutes and rinse the chips 2x.I then let them soak in water over night. Ps Cyan and Ps Az began colonizing them as quick as anything else I know of. They must be boiled however and the, very brown wiskey smelling liquid poured off. JD Wiskey is made with grains obviously. I wonder if this helps colonization? I have had no luck at all with the aspen chips found at the pet store. Another thing you gcan do is just gather up fallen branches from alder, maple, birch, willow, poplar,etc,etc. get yourself a nice pair of pruning shears and start cutting them up. Keep them 1"-3" long and no more than an inch in diameter. You could rent a chipper or a chainsaw. A plainer works great also if all you can find is large diameter wood.

--------------------
you are not who i thought i was...

Offlinephilnweird
highroller
Re: Where to find the right woodchips!! [Re: Ice House Shaman]
    #2417153 - 03/10/04 10:35 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I'm wondering, would fresh Maple and Poplar branches taken in the spring and run though a chipper/shredder would work. Or do they have to be dried?

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Where to find the right woodchips!! [Re: Ice House Shaman]
    #2417390 - 03/10/04 11:51 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, the Jack Daniels chips may very well be the best, but they are kind of expensive.

They also suck for anything other than growing mushrooms on. Cooking with them doesn't make your food taste like Jack Daniels. THey are basically regular chips of oak that have had their naturally existing flavor removed:smirk:

Great for mushrooms, no good for meat.

Regular mesquite and hickory chips and chunks work well too.

--------------------
This space for rent

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2417581 - 03/11/04 12:47 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

InvisibleLoki
Ferret Farmer
Trans-male User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: Where to find the right woodchips!! [Re: OldSpice]
    #2417629 - 03/11/04 12:59 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

It should do, most hardwoods are ok, just avoid cherry (prunus)

OfflineIce House Shaman
Rider on the Storm
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Where to find the right woodchips!! [Re: philnweird]
    #2417990 - 03/11/04 03:00 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

ANY maple poplar or alder will do. If you have branches from yesterday or from the spring it does not matter especially if you are using them for outdoor beds. Chip em up cut em up crush them up they all work. I have gathered up about twenty yards of chips since last Dec. I have procured them through various means. Some I hand cut with pruning shears, some I chipped with a chipper. Some I bought in the form of BBQ chips. Some I bought at the pet store in the form of pet bedding. Some of it I got through a tree and limb removal service. I just opened the yellow pages up, and called some companies. You would be suprised how many give the chips away. Many deperately need a place where they can dump for free. It is tough though (here in the PNW) to find chips like this that you know for sure have no cedar in it. Another method I used was with a chainsaw. I cut alder and birch logs that were about 6"-8" in diameter with the chain saw. I cut the logs up into thin slices and then broke the slices up with a hammer or my hands some of the slices I left as is. I am not sure what is the perfect size chip, however, I believe surface area has alot to do with it. You can find other food or chips that are under ,say, an inch in diameter and yet they have more total surface area than a 6" square piece..

--------------------
you are not who i thought i was...

Offlinechristo
Stranger
    #2425911 - 03/12/04 11:52 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I forgot about this company FUNGI PERFECTI this is where I got my alder sawdust http://www2.mailordercentral.com/fungi/ under outdoor mushroom patches. They ship quick and they're in WA.

Thanks for the help guys!

Offline284_27
Indocybin

#2426765 - 03/13/04 08:29 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Utility line clearance companys have to dump chips as waste . It seems to me that the prefered chips would be from a disc shipper not a drum chipper though that would probably work also . Most workers would go a long ways out of thier way to get you the specific chips that you desire especially if there is a 12 pack or a case of beer in the offering . And if you wanted just a small amount like a trash can full most guys would fill it while you are there with what you want .

--------------------
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson

Fly high and I will meet you there .
- Timothy Leary

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #2427082 - 03/13/04 10:45 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

christo said:
I forgot about this company FUNGI PERFECTI this is where I got my alder sawdust http://www2.mailordercentral.com/fungi/ under outdoor mushroom patches. They ship quick and they're in WA.

Thanks for the help guys!

Alder chips can be had cheaply at pet stores... animal bedding.... make sure you buy ader do not try cedar and try to avoid pine

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates