Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
Pot grower faces murder charges for firefighter deaths
    #3035646 - 08/22/04 09:49 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast/08/21/firefighters.killed.ap/index.html

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) -- A house blaze that killed two firefighters started in a tangle of wires and lamps that were installed to grow marijuana in a basement closet, authorities said.

The man who police say was responsible for the drug operation was charged with third-degree murder.

Fire Capt. John Taylor, 53, and firefighter Rey Rubio, 42, died Friday when they were trapped by quick-moving flames while trying to find the source of the fire.

Fire officials said the fire started in the wiring set up to run the lamps and fans used to nurture the plants, and spread more quickly because the hot lights had dried out the wood in the closet.

In addition to murder, Daniel Brough, 35, faces charges of marijuana possession, involuntary manslaughter and causing a catastrophe.

Philadelphia District Attorney Lynne Abraham called Brough "reckless," "foolish" and "greedy."

Taylor, a 32-year veteran of the department, and Rubio, who had been fighting fires for 12 years, appeared to have died of smoke inhalation, officials said.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Pot grower faces murder charges for firefighter deaths [Re: Adom]
    #3035659 - 08/22/04 09:57 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

That's quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Poor guy. What a fucked up world.  :confused:

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: Pot grower faces murder charges for firefighter deaths [Re: ]
    #3035903 - 08/22/04 12:22 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Max Headroom said:
That's quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Poor guy. What a fucked up world.  :confused:

And who wants to bet that when the FD showed up he was like "No guys, its alrite just let it burn, i was gonna move anyway."

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

Anonymous

#3036055 - 08/22/04 01:31 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Got to get the fuck out of the USA?

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #3036911 - 08/22/04 07:13 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Damn it.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineStonedShroom
OG shroomerite
 User Gallery

#3037266 - 08/22/04 08:55 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

maybe if pot wasn't illegal he wouldn't of had to grow pot in a freakin basement

--------------------
We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience.

We are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.

OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Loc: Final Frontier
    #3037631 - 08/22/04 10:28 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

If a firefighter gets killed while trying to save your house then it's your fault? wtf? Let my house burn, I don't want a dumbass firefighter tripping on his shoelaces and putting me in prison.

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Pot grower faces murder charges for firefighter deaths [Re: Worf]
    #3037644 - 08/22/04 10:30 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

If an old lady had knocked over a candle and set her house on fire they wouldn't file murder fucking charges if the end result was the same..

I hope this gets thrown out of court.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleLe_Canard
Danger Man

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3037992 - 08/23/04 12:10 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Not to diminish the firefighter's deaths, but that is ridiculous! Being a firefighter is a dangerous job, to say the least and I'm sure all firefighters know the risks all too well. What next, charge everybody who has a house fire with murder if a firefighter dies?? I'm sure that the fact that evil, evil ( :rolleyes: ) marijuana was involved that the decision to prosecute for murder came about...

Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
Re: Pot grower faces murder charges for firefighter deaths [Re: Le_Canard]
    #3046762 - 08/25/04 01:21 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

It's just our legal system. If something happens and there's nobody to blame or sue, it gets ignored "act of god". But if there is somebody or something to blame, we gotta give them texas justice! A plant may have been involved? Burn it to the ground, illegalize it!!!! A shark went shark and bit someone? LET'S KILL ALL THE SHARKS IN THE AREA!!!! An everyday chemical may have had even the slightest iota of causing cancer 30 years down the road? CLASS ACTION LAWSUITS FOR EVERYONE!!! US VS. THE PLANET NOW BEING HEARD!!! JURY RULES IN FAVOR OF THE PLAINTIFF, NUKE THE FUCKING WORLD, AND MAKE THE BAREN EARTH PAY RESTITUTION!!! Sorry, I'm just pissed off with our scapegoat society and legal system.

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Pot grower faces murder charges for firefighter deaths [Re: biglo]
    #3046802 - 08/25/04 01:32 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Exactly..

I really dont think that the person could possibly get charged with involentary manslaughter.. It just doesn't make sense.. If an electrician does a poor job wiring and causes a fire and a firefighter dies fighting the fire.. would the electrician get charged? Maybe the firefighter wasn't doing his job correctly...

its crazy bullshit indeed.

--------------------

Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
Re: Pot grower faces murder charges for firefighter deaths [Re: Aneglakya]
    #3048365 - 08/25/04 01:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, if the electrician did a shitty job and the place burned down, then the electrician could be filed with criminal charges. Same thing with a doctor, if he even makes a slight error and it causes something to go wrong, he can be slapped with medical malpractice charges. Same thing with a person that provides people with a said chemical. If the person is given beer, and they stupidly go around driving, that person can be charged (especially if they are underaged, or if the person serving is a bartender). Same thing goes that if I dealt a drug to someone and they died from it, they could charge me. Our society is no longer built around making people accountable for their own actions, only suing and incarcerating others for retributiion, with a constant pursuit for a safer, more sanitized and boring world. Face it people, shit happens and that doesn't entitle you to go sue everyone unless you have good reason to, no matter what greedy trial lawyers say. OK, I'm done with my shpiel for now, if you want more info on the matter, check out "Liability: The legal revolution and it's consequences", or if you don't have time, check out southpark episode "Sexual harassment Panda"

Edit: PS If the electrician really did a shitty job and danger came of it, then it can be justified to charge, but unless he intentionally cut corners or did a really bad job, it shouldn't be such an issue. Just because a power surge hit or if the customer overloads a line, the electrician shouldn't be held liable for that person's stupidity, period.

Edited by biglo (08/25/04 01:43 PM)

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Pot grower faces murder charges for firefighter deaths [Re: biglo]
    #3048769 - 08/25/04 03:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, if the electrician did a bad job wiring and the house burned down i could see him getting charged for that.. but if a firefighter died while doing his job, trying to put the fire out, would he still get charged with murder? Thats the point.

--------------------

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
    #3051049 - 08/26/04 12:54 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Well, I've nothing to add. I of coarse, agree with ya'll.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service