Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSiCkO
some white dude
Please Help ID...Texas
    #2961265 - 08/03/04 07:51 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Here are some mushrooms I found at work in the cedar chip ( i think cedar-didnt smell it) flowerbeds.... I live in Dallas TX and its real humid and hot! They are everywhere and look real nice sticking out from the flowers. I don?t think they are anything worth eating, but please help me ID. I believe they are Malodorous Lepiota (Lepiota crisata)...here are the photos and low down....

-Spore print on white paper looks brown, but I feel this may be attributed to the browning seen on the gills after handling (staining the paper?). However, the spore print looks white on foil (could be just moisture?).

-Detached, tightly spaced white gills

-Largest I collected: Cap 11cm and stem is 12cm

-They were white at first but bruised brown/reddish

-Stem is about pinky thickness and turned red while I was cutting it.

-My guidebook says that the mushroom I believe it is should stink! But I think it smells no different then the white mushrooms you buy in stores and put in salads.

Thanks for the help! other than these guys there aint nothin else growin herein the city! bla!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Please Help ID...Texas [Re: SiCkO]
    #2961527 - 08/03/04 09:10 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

From your description they can't be Lepiota cristata - that species doesn't bruise brown/reddish as you described. You do have the genus definitely correct.

My first thought is to go with L. americana, which does stain much as you have described.

Try cutting one of your specimens in half vertically, then scrape the inside of one half with your knife edge to bruise the tissue. The staining Lepiotas will generally change color within a minute or two. Note what color it turns immediately, then keep watching and see what other colors it goes through, and let us know.

Happy mushrooming!

OfflineSiCkO
some white dude
Re: Please Help ID...Texas [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2963691 - 08/04/04 12:08 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

When cut and scraped it turned a dark red and remained like that for quite a while....then after30-40 min it looked brownish red. I see now how it cant be cristata and looks americana. My book claims they are edible, but im very fond of my liver and kidneys so im not gonna risk it. thanks a lot for the help. I have to post a pic of the flower beds they came from...very nice. Peace.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification