Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  [ show all ]
Re: What is Gnosis [Re: Blue Cthulhu]
    #29513563 -

Not to tell people their own belief system, but I thought that gnosticism, in the broader perspective, is supposed to be an escape from this backwater pocket universe.

First, you attain this state of consciousness, called gnosis. Then, what?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is Gnosis [Re: durian_2008]
    #29513767 -

Maybe it is an escape from our PERCEPTION of this universe which makes it APPEAR as if "backwater."

I'm not really into dogma as such, which "isms" tend to represent. The appeal of the term "gnosis" to me is, first of all that it is ancient Greek (badass fucking cool language!! some of my favorite words come from ancient Greek, such as "metamorphosis"!). Second of all, it conveys some type of higher knowing/knowledge, but because it is not a conventionally used word, it lends itself to more ambiguous interpretation. If paradox is a feature of spiritual "realization", then ambiguous terminology could capture some of that / be a portal into that.

But yeah, I'm familiar with the theology around the demiurge, Sophia, divine sparks trapped in matter, and the endeavor to free those sparks from this cursed world. It is an aesthetically appealing cosmology, I will admit.


--------------------
All communication
is pattern
and rhythm

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is Gnosis [Re: durian_2008] * 2
    #29513771 -

durian_2008 said:
First, you attain this state of consciousness, called gnosis. Then, what?



A voice once told me, in a moment where I seemed to find myself free of all fear and negativity, that: "this is the launching pad for your endless journey."

The message conveyed a sense of freedom for adventure, endless creation and journeying unbounded by human fear, with no room for boredom either because true creation is ever-NEW.


--------------------
All communication
is pattern
and rhythm

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is Gnosis [Re: Blue Cthulhu]
    #29522847 -

You ARE!


--------------------
Chopin in Eternal Sonata: "I believe that I am somehow being tested. That I am on this journey to come to some realization. And in order to do so, I think I’m supposed to live my life to the fullest, even if it is in this muddled world of dream and reality."
Magic is FOR YOU. :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is Gnosis [Re: Blue Cthulhu]
    #29522850 -

Blue Cthulhu said:
Maybe it is an escape from our PERCEPTION of this universe which makes it APPEAR as if "backwater."

I'm not really into dogma as such, which "isms" tend to represent. The appeal of the term "gnosis" to me is, first of all that it is ancient Greek (badass fucking cool language!! some of my favorite words come from ancient Greek, such as "metamorphosis"!). Second of all, it conveys some type of higher knowing/knowledge, but because it is not a conventionally used word, it lends itself to more ambiguous interpretation. If paradox is a feature of spiritual "realization", then ambiguous terminology could capture some of that / be a portal into that.

But yeah, I'm familiar with the theology around the demiurge, Sophia, divine sparks trapped in matter, and the endeavor to free those sparks from this cursed world. It is an aesthetically appealing cosmology, I will admit.




This is extremely well put and something I myself am starting to come to grips with... the inability of language to capture experience and allow for paradox. It may just a limitation of earthly awareness. Remove the glasses and expand the perception beyond ordinary processing...


--------------------
Chopin in Eternal Sonata: "I believe that I am somehow being tested. That I am on this journey to come to some realization. And in order to do so, I think I’m supposed to live my life to the fullest, even if it is in this muddled world of dream and reality."
Magic is FOR YOU. :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is Gnosis [Re: solarshroomster] * 1
    #29523046 -

Maybe we have a higher, BIGGER brain (BRAIN) that processes these things. We can cycle into and out of earthly awareness, use the sacred spiral dance to weave our way through the rhythms that represent the higher brain, and we are then able to traverse the whole Tree of Life







--------------------
All communication
is pattern
and rhythm

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is Gnosis [Re: Blue Cthulhu] * 1
    #29523059 -



they've been making the rounds...


--------------------
All communication
is pattern
and rhythm

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is Gnosis [Re: Blue Cthulhu]
    #29525533 -

Your Sri Yantra is missing the Bindu!

I personally think of gnosis as that which is beyond words, that can only ever be pointed towards, and can never be properly articulated, but must be experienced directly. The gnosis is within the experience itself, before any thoughts or ideas about it occurs.

Kind of like in Ex-machina, the qualia.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is Gnosis [Re: teknix] * 1
    #29525783 -

Good point. I wonder though, to what extent words are representational symbols, versus catalysts and keys for opening the doors to direct experience.

Quote:
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.



β€œWord” being a translation of β€œLogos”.


For instance, after we have an experience and then try to describe it to others, we often use words in the hope that it will induce an imaginal experience in the other person that resembles the experience we ourselves had.

My signature, which reads β€œall communication is pattern and rhythm”, comes from the Dolphin medicine card. Using pattern and rhythm of breath work, we can alter our consciousness and even transcend the physical form, know ourselves on the causal, creative level of self.

Sorry about the missing bindu, I did not know :sad:


--------------------
All communication
is pattern
and rhythm

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is Gnosis [Re: Blue Cthulhu]
    #29526251 -

Right!
From my personal experience and means of articulation and interpretation, there's an entire subtle energy body that can be built from the physical realm into the spirit realm.
Jesus Christ once said in Luke 17:20-21 "God's kingdom is coming, but not in a way that you will be able to see with your eyes. People will not say, 'Look, here it is!' or, 'There it is!' because God's kingdom is within you."

In Gnosticism you might have heard of the interior interior or exterior exterior. They are repeated to show the depth of both the exterior and the interior. One example of just the interior would be the feeling of love, in an individual sense, (interior) and then when adding depth to love it could become the absolute totality of all love (interior interior), like consciousness (interior) and the collective consciousness (interior interior).

Like in 1 John 4:8 it says: "Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love", and then repeated in 1 John 4:16 "And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. Showing that love is a part of the very nature of God, rather than just God loves you."

It's these sorts of examples that seem to contradict some of the old testament, such as God toying with Job and making his life miserable just to prove a point and deuteronomy 7 where he creates a covenant with the jews to genocide the entire levant, the innocents and all, which Gnosticism can easily reconcile by saying that the one who was being written about wasn't actually god, but the demiurge.

I find the old testament to be a book of evidence for misdeeds cemented in history more than any sort of authority on morality. Jesus Christ brought something entirely different than was described in the old testament as the nature of god, and pointed towards love and forgiveness, rather than hatred, malice and vengeance.

I think forgiveness is important for spiritual development, so that a person can forgo the negative energies brought by negative thoughts of revenge and focus on cultivating positive energies and building positive spirit all the while getting closer to god through the interior.

John 17:16 states, "They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world."

I'm not personally an all out gnostic, but it makes more sense to me than the traditional Christian beliefs about the bible.

I like the mysticisms from most major religions and practices, from Kundalini yoga, to Chi kung.

How about you?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is Gnosis [Re: syncro]
    #29526257 -

syncro said:
Here's another one given. Even if in other activity, put or rest some attention at the single eye. Practice easy keeping it there. It is auspicious.

Btw, one of the verses in a prayer for peace/welfare/happiness of beings.

Sarve Bhadrani Pashyantu - May they see what is auspicious. Therefore, see the single eye. Another interpretation I heard is, may they thirst for truth.



Matthew 6:22
"The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is Gnosis [Re: teknix] * 2
    #29526905 -

Quote:
I find the old testament to be a book of evidence for misdeeds cemented in history more than any sort of authority on morality. Jesus Christ brought something entirely different than was described in the old testament as the nature of god, and pointed towards love and forgiveness, rather than hatred, malice and vengeance.



Well put! Totally agree. It's a "new covenant".

Jung said that the character of Job was a sort of prototype, incomplete/unfinished, for the Christ figure that would later emerge.


Quote:
I'm not personally an all out gnostic, but it makes more sense to me than the traditional Christian beliefs about the bible.

I like the mysticisms from most major religions and practices, from Kundalini yoga, to Chi kung.

How about you?



More and more I agree with the idea that all the world's spiritual traditions are like pieces in a larger puzzle. What if all of humanity is One Soul? Torn apart and in need of re-weaving. I think indigenous wisdom is sorely needed since it is so holistic, without the division of things like religion, medicine, science, economics, warfare... it's all part of the divine exchange of energies. Medicine is in everything. Which I suppose is what mysticism brings us back to, too.


--------------------
All communication
is pattern
and rhythm

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What is Gnosis [Re: Blue Cthulhu]
    #29544608 -

Theosophy is a a nexus bridging major religions, with a fresh look at the universal wisdom in them while aiming towards those higher spiritual truths they all share. Many religions create preconceived notions prior to spiritual experiences, then that experience is used as evidence for the preconceived notions rather true or not. It's a cycle of affirmations through experience but the premise was never truly demonstrated and is often treated as axiomatic.

The realization of a the premise as a self evident truth through experience is only genuine when it is free from preconceived notions. Setting aside major biases is important for clarity.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Anyone else into Gnosticism and Philip K. Dick?
( 1 2 all )
deCypher 3,107 23 02/14/10 12:58 AM
by deCypher
* gnosticism explained through buddhist cosmology
( 1 2 all )
deff 4,876 39 03/04/10 01:09 PM
by oxalic32
* Sigil magick and using psychedelics for gnosis?
( 1 2 all )
deCypher 12,646 26 01/05/16 07:14 PM
by LuSiD9
* Gnosis RonaldFuckingPaul 824 14 09/24/10 07:14 PM
by MarkostheGnostic
* gnosis induction Faaip_De_Oiad 1,770 6 06/10/08 11:19 PM
by Middleman
* Open-Yale Course on the Old Testament Nunbuh_Chrubble 533 3 02/01/10 11:59 PM
by Nunbuh_Chrubble
* Finding teachers on the paranormal here...
( 1 2 all )
NoClue 3,654 22 07/05/08 07:10 PM
by richthin
* does any one trade goods? Teacher is searching ChaostoOrder 602 7 08/03/09 06:46 PM
by ChaostoOrder

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, Asante, Shroomism, Rose, Kickle, yogabunny, Northerner, DividedQuantum
1,083 topic views. 0 members, 3 guests and 4 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 17 queries.