Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
What was your last brew, homebrew and distilling thread * 1
    #28705549 -




I wanted to start a recent, "what you brewing" thread. I did a couple searches and didn't see any.
Anyhow, I'm currently drinking the second keg from a 12 gallon batch of Belgian wit, with coriander.
Didn't turn out cloudy enough for the style, but the flavor is right on.
The third, partial keg, I added 3 shredded carrots. It turned out really good, with mellow carrot flavor. I'll post a pic of that one when I pour another, it did cloud up with the carrot added.

Edited by d hoge (03/20/24 08:39 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What was your last brew, homebrew thread [Re: d hoge] * 1
    #28705556 -

That’s a fine looking brew.

Nice head on there!

One of the days I’m going to try my hand at some home brewing.

I used to be big into distillation.
I built a still about 18 years ago or so, but haven’t made anything in probably 8 years.
I should dust off my still and run something good, my friends have been asking me to make some more liquor for a couple years now.
One friend of mine lives on an apple orchard, and we used to make some beautiful apple liquor with some of his ciders.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What was your last brew, homebrew thread [Re: Pluviophile]
    #28705569 -

Thank you, it's a tasty one.
I've always wanted to try distilling, to many hobbies though 😁
That apple liquor sounds awesome. And yes you should dust that still off and run a batch through it. Post the results here🤙

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What was your last brew, homebrew thread [Re: d hoge]
    #28706653 -

last couple of things i made were a sherry finished whiskey (which is great) and some elderberry wine (most of which got turned into red wine vinegar and tastes like balsamic)

i moved from beers to distilling a long time ago (20+ yrs) - though i dont drink much these days- its more of a hobby to try and improve flavours and recipes)

Edited by pugster (03/21/24 02:24 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What was your last brew, homebrew thread [Re: pugster]
    #28706760 -

That sherry whiskey sounds nice. What's the process of finishing that one. At what point does the sherry get added?
Elderberry wine, also sounds tasty. Now, did that get turned into vinegar purposely? And how is/was the vinegar. I love good vinegar, little olive oil over some greens. Yep

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What was your last brew, homebrew thread [Re: d hoge]
    #28707085 -

a main part of learning distilling is learning all the shortcut tricks that distillers use , from using bicarb on stripping runs to using glycerine to smooth out spirits.
the sherry finished whiskey you buy in shops is finished by leaving the finished whiskey in old olrosso sherry barrels for a yr or 2 -  you can get a similar result by just adding a tablespoon of sherry to any finished whiskey and allowing it to rest for a month for the flavours to develop.

the vinegar was made by adding a cup of natural apple cider vinegar to a gallon of wine and covering the top of the demijohn with a bit of cotton and and elastic band for 6 weeks for the bacteria to do its work , this is the fast way to make any vinegar (add a cup of organic natural apple cider vinegar to any wine you want , i just buy mine from amazon- its cheap enough).
the elderberry wine vinegar tastes like a good balsamic , the elderberrys were free and i used a bag of sugar to make the wine - all in all a gallon of elderberry wine vinegar probably cost me about $8 to make tops - it gets betters as it matures and lasts for ages.

Edited by pugster (03/21/24 11:47 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What was your last brew, homebrew thread [Re: pugster] * 2
    #28710452 -

I'm an all-grain junkie. I make everything on a homemade brick rocket wood stove using whatever sticks I find.
Tonight kegging 10gal of oatmeal stout I made 3 weeks ago. Fermenting 10gal of light pilsner about 5 days from keg. Tomorrow I'm making 10gal of my favorite kolsch.

That balsamic vinegar sounds great. I do have elderberry bushes, never made wine, but I have made lots of mead.


Edited by LadysKnight (03/23/24 07:33 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What was your last brew, homebrew and distilling thread [Re: d hoge] * 1
    #28727311 -

A cashmere blonde that I purchased pre-mixed from an online supply store(seems to be better grain quality when its pre-mixed).
The recipe:
9 lbs 2 row malt
.5 Briess caramel 10L malt

boil and extract the add:
.75 oz cashmere hops to the boil

then let cool to room to temp to add yeast which is safale-05 and dry hop with .25 oz cashmere hops.

I use my own method of extraction which is not the pour over method but adds a nice malted, caramel finish with the cashmere hops flavor.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What was your last brew, homebrew thread [Re: LadysKnight]
    #28727314 -

LadysKnight said:
I'm an all-grain junkie. I make everything on a homemade brick rocket wood stove using whatever sticks I find.
Tonight kegging 10gal of oatmeal stout I made 3 weeks ago. Fermenting 10gal of light pilsner about 5 days from keg. Tomorrow I'm making 10gal of my favorite kolsch.




What would you compare the oatmeal stout and the pilsner to from something that you would purchase from the store as I have never distilled myself or tried anyone else's, but is something that I would like to get into.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What was your last brew, homebrew thread [Re: turnipboy01] * 1
    #28729491 -

turnipboy01 said:
LadysKnight said:
I'm an all-grain junkie. I make everything on a homemade brick rocket wood stove using whatever sticks I find.
Tonight kegging 10gal of oatmeal stout I made 3 weeks ago. Fermenting 10gal of light pilsner about 5 days from keg. Tomorrow I'm making 10gal of my favorite kolsch.




What would you compare the oatmeal stout and the pilsner to from something that you would purchase from the store as I have never distilled myself or tried anyone else's, but is something that I would like to get into.



The pilsner is formulated to taste just like Miller Lite. Sad, I know. I used to make a lot of hoppy IPAs, when I got sick of that after about 10 years, I just wanted something smooth and light that I can drink like water. I make 10 gallons for about $28.

The oatmeal stout, to me tastes like any of the higher end stouts, Rogue, for example. I have found adding good coffee to the keg takes it up 2 notches. I made it for an upcoming wedding. Not something I would regularly brew, it was a request.

I got started by reading this free online book, and would recommend it to anyone else starting out.

https://www.homebrewfinds.com/reader-tip-how-to-brew-by-john-palmer/

Edited by LadysKnight (04/07/24 12:40 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What was your last brew, homebrew thread [Re: LadysKnight]
    #28730622 -

I was more wondering what those would taste like distilled. I'm imagining the pilsner tasting like a light whiskey and the oatmeal stout would be only something that I could fantasize about since I do not have a still.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What was your last brew, homebrew thread [Re: turnipboy01] * 1
    #28731287 -

the time and effort put into making the pilsner and stout you are better off drinking them as is (unless something goes wrong and you just want to pull the alchohol out)

theres a lot of mystique around distilling - most of which is bullshit to help sell the product and increase its price , for instance most distilleries will brag about using triple distilled alcohol - at this point pretty much any flavour from products used making the mash will have been pulled out using the fractional columns most distilleries use.
most flavours can be pulled from a mash using a pot still instead of a fractional column (most good irish whiskey makers use a pot still( green spot , redbreast etc).

regardless of what distilling method is used most of the flavours come from the barrels used to strore/age after a spirit has been made (im taking about non flavoured spirits aged in barrels ) , some flavour comes over in the heads/tails when distilling and the skill there come from separating and adding just enough to give it something (if thats what you want) - the hearts of the distillation makes up most of your run and this should be neutral and smooth.

m

Edited by pugster (04/08/24 11:50 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

North Spore Shop: Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Home Brewing Beer Thread
( 1 2 all )
A3eyedfish 7,343 33 05/19/09 02:58 PM
by PoppinCaps
* homebrewing spudamore 1,024 4 09/01/04 10:32 AM
by daussaulit
* Homebrewing (non all-grain) *complete*
( 1 2 all )
daussaulit 10,574 25 09/01/04 01:20 PM
by phalloidin
* Homebrew in under two weeks? Joshua 2,551 15 11/25/03 06:59 PM
by Fungi_x
* Homebrewing(all-grain) daussaulit 7,651 15 04/30/09 02:04 PM
by xrommy
* homebrewers
( 1 2 all )
afoaf 4,345 29 11/28/05 04:38 AM
by DrMambo
* A Link Every Home Distiller Needs
( 1 2 all )
Fungi_x 5,310 22 03/07/08 12:26 PM
by Fungi_x
* Oatmeal Recipes? LeViTY 1,113 5 08/20/04 12:00 AM
by sporgasm

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, geokills, feevers
243 topic views. 1 members, 0 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.017 seconds spending 0.003 seconds on 14 queries.