Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Here's a teaser for you Internet geeks.
    #2871978 - 07/09/04 07:21 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Somehow my home page keeps getting changed to "about:blank". This isn't to hard to fix because I can just go to the tools pulldown and choose options and change back my homepage. When i do it the home page is fine and will go to the one I want in the current page but once I exit out of the window and go back and open up the internet explorer it resorts back to "about:blank". No matter how many times I do this, it keeps happening and is driving me crazy.

any help will be appreciated.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Here's a teaser for you Internet geeks. [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2872000 - 07/09/04 07:43 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Have you tried Adaware or Spybot? With the latest updates?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Edited by luvdemshrooms (07/09/04 07:43 AM)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Here's a teaser for you Internet geeks. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2872003 - 07/09/04 07:44 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#2872008 - 07/09/04 07:47 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I'm not at my home computer so I don't really know, I thought I had Adware but I'm not sure off hand. I do have the pop-up stoppers and the run of the mill virus protection. Do you think if I scan with adware, that could solve my prob?

and what the hell is about:blank?

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Here's a teaser for you Internet geeks. [Re: Anno]
    #2872017 - 07/09/04 07:52 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

i'll use that info when I get home and see if it'll work. If anyone else has had this happen, let me know.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#2872287 - 07/09/04 09:35 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Adaware & Spybot need to be run manually. If you don't have them, get them, update & run them. Both of them as one sometimes picks up on things the other missed. If you do have them, update and run them. Anno's suggestion is also a good one but geared to one browser hijacker.

I'd run the other two first, then the CoolWeb fix, if needed.

about:blank is often an incompletely loaded web page.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#2872424 - 07/09/04 10:32 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

will do, also what is better IE or Firefox?

This problem I have now is new but I know that my home page does get changed quite a lot (but the fix is just to re-input my original home page)

while we're on it, what is the best browser out there?

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
    #2872463 - 07/09/04 10:45 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Firefox > Opera > Dog shit > IE

:smile:

Firefox > *

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Here's a teaser for you Internet geeks. [Re: abhi]
    #2872595 - 07/09/04 11:24 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

i'm going to load up Firefox this evening, you people inspired me.......actually my ignorace of browsers has inspired me but i'll give you guys credit.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Invisiblematts
matts

#2872666 - 07/09/04 11:45 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#2872823 - 07/09/04 12:37 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

will do, also what is better IE or Firefox?

\Popular opinion says Firefox but my feeling is if you run a good firewall and do the updates to IE, that it doesn't matter.

There was a patch released for Firefox in just the last few days. so thats 1,293,483 patches for IE, 1 for Firefox.

I only recently started messing with Firefox though so perhaps others might be right. I do like the tabbed browser quite a bit.

--------------------

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #2872845 - 07/09/04 12:41 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I highly recommend adding the Adblock extension.  No more pop-ups or banner ads. :smile:

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Here's a teaser for you Internet geeks. [Re: matts]
    #2873069 - 07/09/04 01:33 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

matts said:
I am sure there are exploits for it, possibly more than MSIE, but it is not popular enough to have been studied to find the holes.

Probably there are but i think the real problem is how IE is attached to the system. Another good example are ActiveX components, truly malicious ActiveX components won't tell you that they are maliciously modifying your operating system. In fact, they'll try to make the modifications as quietly as possible. Or they might engage in a double effect attack. For example, one ActiveX control could change Internet Explorer's ActiveX security level so that you would run unsigned applets; later, a second control could do the real damage.
Firefox and opera don't work with ActiveX but they manage to produce a better overall experience due to some addons. Anyway, it depends on what you visit. I personally use Firefox, windows and Linux.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Here's a teaser for you Internet geeks. [Re: MAIA]
    #2873231 - 07/09/04 02:14 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Just when you think you know about computers, I run into you guys and now I feel like a novice.

Thanks for all the help, except Luvdemshrooms, he still uses that damn Commadore 64 :grin:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#2873357 - 07/09/04 02:36 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Only for internet stuff.

For important things I use an abacus.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#2873360 - 07/09/04 02:37 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

:lol:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
    #2873361 - 07/09/04 02:37 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I had that same problem....and adaware didn't catch it.

If you have virus protection, i'd say run a full search....i had to d/l avast (cause it's free :wink:) to get that to stop on mine.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Here's a teaser for you Internet geeks. [Re: Anno]
    #2873537 - 07/09/04 03:14 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Anno said:
Sunds like CoolWebSearch
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2852855

Yes, it does. It's real nasty piece of work.

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

#2885302 - 07/13/04 09:08 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

The latest spybot has a resident shield type thing that monitors the registry and asks before changes can be made. pretty cool. There is also another prog that I can't remember the name of right now but it monitors registry changes. Regmon I think? These are good tools to have aswell. Often the spyware makes reg entries to lauch thier app or change your home page.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
This is where the IE settings for your profile are. You'll see "start page" in there. Next time before you open IE, take a look at this value and see if your page is there or something else. If if is not your page the next step is to figure out if windows is not saving your settings or if something is changing it, I also check the run key under "local_machine>software>Microsoft>windows>run" for anything that looks suspicious. Also just clean out (unwanted or unneeded) from the run key. Everything you install will likely try to run something on startup which will drag your performance down.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom