Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineFocusHawaii
Keeper of theMagic Garden

Loc: Canada
New Guitar
    #2867690 - 07/08/04 03:28 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Hi all,

I've been playing the guitar for about a year now and finally got my own for Christmas. But, I'm getting tired of my crappy Squire and I'm thinking about getting a new one; I have up to $1158 to spend and I really would like a new. I don't know too much about guitars so any advice would be appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: New Guitar [Re: FocusHawaii]
    #2867765 - 07/08/04 04:41 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

do you like single coil or humbuckers? what style do you enjoy playing the most? do you like thick neck or thin? do you like large frets or small?

OfflineRedo
CTA

Re: New Guitar [Re: automan]
    #2867895 - 07/08/04 06:19 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

automan said:
do you like single coil or humbuckers? what style do you enjoy playing the most? do you like thick neck or thin? do you like large frets or small?

He dosent know too much about guitars...

Focus, out of the music you listen to, what guitarists do you like the most?? Which guitarist do you want to sound like the most??

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #2867896 - 07/08/04 06:19 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Auto, no offense, but I don't think I would have been able to answer all of those questions when upgrading from my first guitar. :wink:

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: New Guitar [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #2867901 - 07/08/04 06:24 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

i bet you coulda answered one of them. any insight into what he likes will help us steer him in the right direction.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #2867965 - 07/08/04 07:20 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Indeed.. but the thing is, when I wanted to upgrade from my own Squier (is everyone's first guitar a Squier? heh) I hadn't played enough different types of guitars thoroughly enough to judge which way I liked various features.

My second guitar was an Ibanez, because a friend of mine swore by Ibanez and his guitar was a lot better than mine.. so I got an Ibanez. heh.

Perhaps Redo is on to something up there...

OfflineScvotto_Turellskey
officially old

Re: New Guitar [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #2868043 - 07/08/04 08:13 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

The best advice I ever got, was to go out and play a lot of guitars before you buy one you're going to fall out of love with in a few months.

Also consider your amp.
A good guitar still sounds kinda cheap through a cheap practice amp.

My first electric wasn't a squire! It was a Rockster..... very cheap and cheerful, it still gets the odd outing.

Next came a 2nd hand 80's Tokai Custom Edition, which I still use the majority of the time.
It didn't break the bank, but it's still an excellent guitar. (Think it was about ?350 in the early 90's.... that's about $700 at todays exchange rate)

Another I bought by accident (well that's what I told my gf) is an amazing Fenix telecaster.
I had gone in to buy a new phaser after mine packed in, and happened to pick this guitar up to test a few out.
Well it came home with me.... great action and feel.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"They think we are retarded - they are retarded." - The Sultan of Spin.

OfflineRedo
CTA

Re: New Guitar [Re: Scvotto_Turellskey]
    #2868122 - 07/08/04 08:46 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Scvotto_Turellskey said:
The best advice I ever got, was to go out and play a lot of guitars before you buy one you're going to fall out of love with in a few months.

Also consider your amp.
A good guitar still sounds kinda cheap through a cheap practice amp.

When your not too good its embarrasing to go into those guitar places and pull down 20 guitars and try them out =b.

The amp makes a HUGE difference, for some reason I love low distortion with the equalizer set all the way to the lowest settings (sounds lkke good ol' 60's solos).

OfflineScvotto_Turellskey
officially old

Re: New Guitar [Re: Redo]
    #2868239 - 07/08/04 09:20 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

LOL.
Well, learn a couple of good riffs, and go riff to your hearts content!

Most stores won't care how good or bad you are, it all comes down to money in the end of the day.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"They think we are retarded - they are retarded." - The Sultan of Spin.

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: New Guitar [Re: Scvotto_Turellskey]
    #2868544 - 07/08/04 11:14 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

my first bass was a samick and my first guitar was an epiphone. now i play a ken smith 6-string bass and my main guitars are a 2nd year parker fly (before they fattened the neck too much) and a 74 les paul custom.... oh how the times have changed. :wink:

OfflineFocusHawaii
Keeper of theMagic Garden

Loc: Canada
    #2869304 - 07/08/04 03:36 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

automan said:

What's the difference between humbuckers and single coils? I prefer a thin neck with small frets for my small hands. Right now, I just like to improvise on scales that I know which reflects the type of guitarists I enjoy i.e. Jerry Garcia, Jimi Hendrix etc. Thanks for the input.

OfflineeastcoastE
Stranger
    #2869390 - 07/08/04 04:03 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

What's up all;
  Damn it's been a minute since I posted here, but had to on this one. First off, the advice on going to a music store and playing 20 guitars is right on. I played probably 5 times that many ALL DAY LONG before I bought my last guitar. Of course, it was a real high-end custom acoustic that I paid almost 4 grand for, so they got over it. :smile: Anyway, playing many guitars gives you an idea of what you like in a guitar, be it pickups and configuration, the shape of the neck, size of frets, body style, tremolo or non, etc. If you like and are comfortable with the shape and neck of your Squier, just want an upgrade, more or less, I'd recommend checking out G&L guitars. They're basically updated versions of Fender guitars, with better bridges, better necks, etc. They also have great pickups, very versatile and strong guitars. But you have to pick what'r right for you. I know they make many guitars in your price range, or they have a new Tribute series that average around $600, that way you can save a little cash and maybe check out some effects processors or something. Experimenting with new sounds always kept me interested, back when I played mainly electric. Also, if you know somebody who knows some things about guitar setup/repair/etc take them with you. I'm just assuming you don't know much in this area since you've only been playing for a year, forgive me if I'm wrong. But you want to make sure the neck is straight and will stay that way for a good long while, that all frets are in alignment, that the guitar doesn't "fret out" or have "dead spots." Also, have somebody play the guitar for you so you can hear what it sounds like as a listener. If you don't know anybody with this type of knowledge, maybe offer a local guitar teacher a few bucks to make a trip to the store with you once you've narrowed down a few that you like. But take your time, buying a guitar is an important investment. Make sure you have something you really like and that's going to work for you before you plunk down a grand. Guitars, like cars, lose some resale value immediately after you take them out of the store, unless you're lucky enough to find somebody on the street whos' dumb enough to pay full price. Chances of that are slim. Anyway, hope I've been of some help. :smile:

OfflineeastcoastE
Stranger
    #2869482 - 07/08/04 04:37 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Oh yeah, couple more things. Everybody's advice about the amp is absolutely true. You could have a $5400 PRS McCarty Hollowbody and it would sound like shit through a cheap amp. The difference between single-coil and humbucking pickups is that humbuckers "buck" or cancel external noise by using two specially configured out-of-phase coils. I could get into a whole bunch of technical crap, but you have a comp and net access so if ya wanna know the geeky stuff, try a yahoo search. :smile: The main differences in the two are the sound of the pickups and the noise cancellation. Single-coil pickups, especially vintage ones, have a tendency to sound more "thin" and accent the high end (treble response) of a guitar. Your Squier probably has single-coils, although I think they make a Strat copy with a single humbucker. What defined the "single-coil" sound was Fender guitars, most notably the Stratocaster and Telecaster. Think Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, Keith Richards. Although most of those guys used or recorded with a humbucker guitar once in a while. Humbucking pickups have a tendency to sound more "fat" or "warm", and accent the low end (bass response.) The classic humbucker sound is Gibson, most notably the Les Paul (or SG) or ES-335. Think Jimmy Page, Randy Rhoads, Slash. Over the years, as pickups have become more advanced, the lines between the two have blurred. Most single-coil pickups these days are billed as hum-resistant, and many humbucking guitars have a coil splitter switch!!!! It's confusing I know. I will say the G&L "Z-shaped" reverse polarity single-coil are the best and most versatile I've ever heard. I come from a family of guitarists constantly updating ther equipment, so that's not a small statement. For more pickup info, check out some of the major dealers' websites. Try Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, EMG. Again, hope I was of some help. Any more questions I can answer, I'll be more than happy to. Happy hunting, bro.

InvisibleMadSeasonAbove
Reef Donkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida Flag
Re: New Guitar [Re: eastcoastE]
    #2870693 - 07/08/04 10:10 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Here is my guit. she's an Ibanez SZ320. got her for 450 US dollars.
I have no complaints.
http://img54.photobucket.com/albums/v166/StoneAliceGarden/Ibanez.jpg
-J

Offlinepsikooz
Stranger
Loc: Los Angeles
Re: New Guitar [Re: MadSeasonAbove]
    #2871780 - 07/09/04 03:58 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Ive been playing this horrible washburn that is made from particle board for 7 years. The frets are are all warn out. But it has been great to me. It Probably cost 250$.

Finally im getting a Beautiful, work of art, Fender American Strat.

It is sunburst, has a maple body, and a rosewood fretboard, and plays like a dream.

im in love, i get it next week, it is 900$ even.

Its amazing.

Go to a guitar store, and tell the guys what you are looking for, try them all out, get the one that you like best. You have enough money to ge the one you want trust me. Just make sure you get the one that is right for you.

peace and love

Edited by psikooz (07/09/04 04:02 AM)

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: New Guitar [Re: psikooz]
    #2871817 - 07/09/04 04:54 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Can't go wrong with a strat  :thumbup:

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
    #2871837 - 07/09/04 05:12 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Get a Carvin and you wont be dissappointed!

http://www.carvin.com/products/guitars.php?CID=GTR

--------------------

OfflineFULC
Mr

Loc: North Lincolnshire (Engla...
    #2872816 - 07/09/04 12:35 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates