Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Herb Grinder, Valerian Root

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Now with ExtraVaganza!?
 Arcade Champion: Maeda Line, Moon Patrol

Loc: Nowhere fast
Bogus' Sleepy Tea
    #2831999 - 06/27/04 12:39 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hey all, thought I'd share this recipe with you.

Bogus' Sleepy Tea:
Valerian Root
Hops Flowers
Lemon Balm
Mullein Leaf
Black Cohosh
A bit of Spearmint or Peppermint leaf, depending on my mood

A good tablespoonful of each was placed together in a small container, with a bit extra of the scullcap, valerian, and mint.  The mixture was placed in a coffee grinder and ground EXTREMELY BRIEFLY (like 2 seconds or less), and two spoonfuls were used to brew a pot.

The ingredients were simmered in a small saucepan for approx. 2 hours, strained, and poured into two coffee cups with a good amount leftover.  You will most likely want to add a liberal amount of organic honey (or sugar, if you like that in tea), as it has a very earthy flavor with a very strong "dried plant" aftertaste.

You'll most likely feel the effects halfway through your cup, something of a lightheaded "buzzy" feeling, with a bit of giddyness.  You'll begin to feel heavy, and concentration may become difficult.  Sleep comes easily and is usually uninterupted and lasts longer.  I find I sleep through the entire night and longer into the morning after a cup of this tea.

The remaining amount of tea from the first brewing was placed in a 20oz plastic coke bottle and stored in the fridge.  Over a week later, I've noticed that cold, the tea tastes much better (without any added honey), but still has the wicked aftertaste.  It's not too terrible once you've gotten used to it, and I don't mind it hardly at all since I now mentally associate that taste with a good night's sleep.

I'd like to try adding a bit of passionflower to my next batch.  All of the ingredients were found in a local Farmer's Cooperative market (in the Ithaca area, GreenStar if anyone is familiar with it), for much, much less than the advertised costs of the plants and herbs online.  Plus there was no shipping charge.  :grin:

Anyway, it's about time for me to drift off to sleep.  Let me know if you decide to try it, or if you have your own bedtime tea recipies.

Goodnight all!  :mushroom2:

Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Herb Grinder, Valerian Root

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden