Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Active properties of Mulberry
    #2829588 - 06/26/04 02:45 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Well, there's been alot of talk about alt. ethno's lately, so here's my contribution.  Mulberry. 

Mulberry contains 1-Deoxynojirimycin (DNJ), a polyhydroxylated piperidine, a potent a-glycosidase inhibitor and is abundant in Morus spp. leaves and roots, young shoots and unripe berries of the various Mulberry varietes (red, white, black). 

It's effects include hallucinations, stomach upset, and stimulation of the nervous system. 

Below are various pieces of information i've found concerning Mulberry (Morus spp.) and DNJ with some personal comments.  May i now present to you, Morus.
-------------------------
Quote:

Red Mulberry (Morus rubra)
excerpt from Tom Brown's Guide to Wild Edible and Medicinal Plants <../../library/books/tom_browns.shtml>
by Tom Brown, Jr.

Grandmother was on her way to a huge mulberry patch that grew near an old abandoned farmhouse. She said I could help her dig the newer plants' roots, which she would powder and make into a laxative for her patients. We dug for hours, collecting the choicest roots, still making sure that the conservation of the plants were kept in mind. During the whole process, I was eating the mulberries, not noticing whether they were ripe or not, a common fault among young boys. This continued for hours as I got lost in Grandmother's stories and the methodic collecting of roots.

When I finally got up off my knees and began to walk home, I felt strangely sick and dizzy. The landscape felt as if it were made of liquid and I was a small boat. Everything was moving up and down. Animal and bird voices sounded strange and mystical. I felt disoriented and forgot where I was and where I was going. Out of the corner of my eye I began to see things move; shadows became animated, and colors strange. The sickness continued until I fell to the ground vomiting, yet laughing at the overall hilarity of the situation. The condition worsened and I began to tremble, feeling paranoid and extremely nervous. I mistook every rustle of the brush for a wild dog, and my imagination began to run wild.

Grandmother knew instantly what I had done and helped me slowly back to her house. I did not know that the unrip berries can cause violent upset stomach and nervousness. Nor did I realize that they also contained hallucinogens. Nevertheless, I was sick and not getting any better. Grandmother put me to bed and gave me a cup of mullein flower tea to settle my stomach and calm my nerves. I awoke the next morning with Grandfather, Rick, and Grandmother sitting around the bed, waiting and watching. My vision slowly cleared, but my head pounded very badly; my stomach still remained very queasy, and I felt weak. Another day slipped by as I drifted in and out of pain and sleep.

The following day I felt much better. The events of the past few days seemed like a distant nightmare, fuzzy memories at best as if they never happened in reality. Grandmother was in the garden at her drying racks. The roots we had collected two days before were now dry. Lovingly, she scraped the bark from the root using a knife held at a right angle, a procedure which produced a coarse granular dust. This dust she would use for effective treatment of constipation in her patients or for herself. I helped her out but had to be filled in completely as to what had happened to me. The disorientation was still with me, and I felt as if I had lost two days of my life.

http://www.erowid.org/herbs/mulberry/mulberry_info1.shtml

Concerning the above:  The negative affects seem extreme in the account but i'd like to remind you that the inadvertant bioassay was conducted by a child who had no idea of the amount of mulberry's he had eaten.  It's probable that the degree of negative effects is directly related to him simply ingesting too much for his bodyweight, and being scared from the effects.

Quote:

References and mentions
of the hallucinogenic properties of Mulberry

Peterson's Field Guide to Edible Plants (1977, Houghton-Mifflin)

Mentions in its section on Red Mulberry "Warning: unripe frout and raw shoots contain hallucinogens."

Ohio Perennial & Biennial Weed Guide <http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/scripts/weed.dll/getone.200.htm>

"White Mulberry - All parts of white mulberry, except for the ripe fruit, contain a milky sap (latex) that is toxic to humans. Although humans may consume ripe mulberry fruit, ingestion of unripe fruit can result in stomach upset, stimulation of the nervous system and hallucinations."

Aromatic Essentials <http://www.aromaticessentials.com/Info/Herbs/herbs_l_m.htm>

"Mulberry roots have been used for tapeworm. Related species: Black Mulberry Red Mulberry. Both have similar properties. Warning: Juice and the unripe fruit may cause stomach problems and hallucinations!"

Herbvideos <http://www.herbvideos.com/ewpindex.htm>

"Mulberries - Red, Black & White - WARNING: Do not eat the unripe fruit and leaves because they may be mildly hallucinogenic. Ripened fruits are very edible."

"Native American Medicine: Alabama [indians] infused roots and drank as a stimulant for increased energy."

American Society of Plant Biologists <http://www.rycomusa.com/aspp2001/public/P39/0273.html>

1-Deoxynojirimycin (DNJ), a polyhydroxylated piperidine, is a potent a-glycosidase inhibitor and is abundant in Morus spp. (mulberry trees) leaves and roots. Nowadays, M. alba leaves and dried Bombyx mori (silkworm) powder are taken as healthy foods in Korea. A simple method for the assay of DNJ was established and seasonal change of DNJ content in M. alba leaves was determined using the method. The method includes simple hot-water extraction, derivatization with 9-fluorenylmethyl chloroformate and reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography. Optimal conditions for extraction and derivatization are described. For the stability of FMOC-derivative of DNJ, it was essential to dilute derivatization mixture with 0.1% acetic acid and to operate at 4??. The seasonal change of DNJ content in M. alba leaves seemed considerately related to that of temperature.

Unihnasdedla Herbs (Cherokee) <http://www.geocities.com/tsutla_atli/unihnasdedla.htm>

Guwa = Mulberry = Morus rubra = Anthelmintic and cathartic. Axis of the leaf contains a milky juice used to cure ringworms on the scalp. * The milky juice of the unripe fruit can induce hallucinations, nervous stimulation, and upset stomach.

http://www.erowid.org/herbs/mulberry/mulberry_info2.shtml

Quote:

Findings by the NIH:
Examination of functionality and safety of components in Folium Mori (Mulberry leaves, Morus alba L) Animal experiments were conducted to clarify the functionality and safety of 1-deoxynojirimycin in Folium Mori, which has been reported to normalize blood pressure in a high-blood-pressure animal model. Potent hypoglycemic effects were noticed in a glucose tolerance test in the group of rats fed the high DNJ diet. However, even in a high dose of DNJ , remarkable harmful disorders were not observed in the growth, serum characteristics, and liver histopathological examinations.
[url=http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:S6UAwPaM2sQJ:www.nih.go.jp/eiken/chosa/pdf/2002_21.pdf+1-Deoxynojirimycin+(DNJ)&hl=en]http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:S6U...(DNJ)&hl=en[/url]

The above tests were conducted on rats on a HIGH DNJ diet that occured overtime.  I would not suspect a severe hypoglycemic reaction to occur in adult humans with moderate to infrequent use.

Quote:

DNJ is water soluable

http://www.made-in-china.com/products/sh...tract_10:1.html

It seems likely that a tea or extract could be brewed for Morus's hallucinogenic and stimulative effect.  Ginger or some other remedy could be used to stave off stomach upset said to occur with use.  They(mulberry bushes/trees) are quite common. These plants are sold as ornamentals and are probably easily available through any decent garden center. I will find out at Lowes.  There is a definite lack of bioassays on Morus so we need some volunteers for the duty to report back to us their findings.  Any takers?

Interesting factoid: Cannabis was once considered part of the mulberry family.

:rasta:,

mycomancer

--------------------

Edited by Mycomancer (06/26/04 12:53 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Active properties of Morus (mulberry) [Re: Mycomancer]
    #2829832 - 06/26/04 05:32 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

"Interesting factoid: Cannabis was once considered part of the mulberry family."

Lol thanks Monster Mycomancer.

Thats pretty interesting. Got lots on my plate at the moment, but may pick up a bush or two if i see them already in store.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Active properties of Morus (mulberry) [Re: kadakuda]
    #2830006 - 06/26/04 09:29 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

"It's effects include Hallucinations, stomach upset, and stimulation of the nervous system."

This is about what I experienced. I used 30 unripe berries, dried and capsulated. Stomach upset and lots of stimulation. Felt speedy. Excellent information.

--------------------

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Re: Active properties of Morus (mulberry) [Re: Aneglakya]
    #2830336 - 06/26/04 12:11 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

How bad was the stomach upset, and could you describe the nature of the stimulation?  Did you experience any of the hallucinogenic effects?  Just a few questions for you, thanks!

mycomancer

--------------------

Edited by Mycomancer (06/26/04 12:46 PM)

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Re: Active properties of Mulberry [Re: Mycomancer]
    #2830644 - 06/26/04 01:57 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

A note and revision:

It is unclear however whether DNJ is the good stuff or not.  The evidence seems to be that it is more likely responsible for the dizziness, nausea, and disorientation as it is a piperidine alkaloid. 

Thus i going to have to advise against infusion as you just may be concentrating the baddies.  However, several washings may help remove the baddies (like washing tannic acids from acorns) and hopefully leave the good stuff behind, hoping of course, that they themselves are not water soluble.

Although, it may be responsible for both the good and the bad for all i can tell.

mycomancer

--------------------

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
    #2830706 - 06/26/04 02:08 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

There are lots of things that give a crappy high which I do not intend to try. The negatives in this case seem to outweigh the positives. Upset stomach can be a very bad thing if you use the berries often. It could lead to an ulcer or intestinal problems. None of the stories sound very good. Another crappy one is nutmeg. Another one is motion sickness pills. Avoid crappy highs.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #2831239 - 06/26/04 06:13 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Very interesting, but I think I will pass. Here is my contribution to the crappy high department. Silver Maple has 5-MEO-DMT in the bark in significant concentration.

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Active properties of Mulberry [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #2831340 - 06/26/04 07:11 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

It was about  5 years ago that I experimented with it. It surely wasn't enjoyable. But I still find it interesting. I'm very pleased to see such an informative post on the plant. Whether or not individuals decide to intoxicate themselves on some drug plant that little is known about (long term affects, etc) I still find it completely fascinating that these things exist in nature and they DO deserve to be researched further, regardless if they make someones tummy feel a bit quesy :smile: .

I did not experience anything I would consider Entheogenic or even pleasant. It is an experience I would probably not repeat.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Active properties of Mulberry [Re: Aneglakya]
    #2832130 - 06/27/04 01:40 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

you gotta be shitting me....do you still like pancakes?

OfflineTurdy
understandingthe universe

Loc: us of a
    #2836296 - 06/28/04 02:11 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

My herbal garden book tells me that Mulberry is used in small doses for constipation.... so im guessing your gunna be high as a kite spewing from your ass into the bowl

--------------------
I see picasso as a realest. Monet is way abstract.

OfflineLoneDeranger
Deranger

Loc: Nonething
Re: Active properties of Mulberry [Re: Turdy]
    #2836322 - 06/28/04 02:20 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

And you're a cop :p I'd try these berries if i came across them and was positive it was them and knew the dosage.

--------------------
Mescalito is my homeboy...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Toilet Paper

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden