Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineVyache
Stranger
Cake Probs & Contam help me ID from pics
    #2829479 - 06/26/04 02:13 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Greetings,
This is my first post to this forum and I'll admit that I didn't search all the FAQs first. I have several pictures and questions to go along with them.

Picture 1: Solid growth on cake

One of my cakes had a growth on it. I took a picture a while ago but decided to ditch the cake. Any idea what caused the growth?

Picture 2: Wispy mycelial mass on cake

This cake grew a bunch of what looks like strandy mycelium and thin shrooms in one area. I read that too much or little moisture could cause something like this but couldn't find any pictures to compare to my cake. The cake was in a chamber with six others and its the only one that reacted this way. What's the problem here?

Picture 3: Dead zone with purple powder

This cake developed a dead zone soon after birthing and looks like it might have some sort of mold on it. I left it in the chamber for quite a while but decided to remove it today. What was the contaminant and what is the best way to deal with it?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Cake Probs & Contam help me ID from pics [Re: Vyache]
    #2838701 - 06/29/04 06:11 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Well, it's somehow hard to tell about the kind of contaminants you were dealing with. You'll have to perform a microscopic analysis. Anyway, molds like the one on the third pic can be dangerous sometimes, so wear a mask and toss them ASAP, as there is no procedure worth using to save it IMHO.
I wouldn't worry too much about wispy mycelium. I believe it happens due to high humidity. Normally it means you have to fan more.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinemidway
Stranger

Re: Cake Probs & Contam help me ID from pics [Re: MAIA]
    #2839960 - 06/29/04 03:17 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

If i remember correctly mycelium gets whispy strands also when starting to pin or in stages of heavy growth....that one is most likely fine.
The last one needs surgery though!
mid

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: Cake Probs & Contam help me ID from pics [Re: Vyache]
    #2840128 - 06/29/04 04:12 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

MAIA is right about your third pic!
There is a mold that has characteristics which are displayed in that pic that can enter your body through breaks in the skin and cause a type of menengitis. SO JUST PUT SOME GLOVES ON AND CAREFULLY DISPOSE OF IT!
**I am certainly not any kind of microbiologist or anything so this info is just from things that I have read in my research of contams on fungi substrate so dont freak out or anything,just please be carefull with any contam and never assume that they are harmless. As MAIA said most of these contams can only be possitively ID'd with a microscope and a very trained observer.**

As I said I'm not trying to scare you I just want to make sure that you use due caution and dont get sick because you dont know any better.

MYKEY

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum