Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleXibalba
Stranger
but through a glass, pinkly
    #2721573 - 05/24/04 05:24 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Edited by Xibalba (09/30/05 12:51 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: but through a glass, pinkly [Re: Xibalba]
    #2723638 - 05/24/04 05:52 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i like your analogy.

but what if you both decided it was a good idea to roll down the window?  you can both look at the sand, and still see something different.  the magic happens when you both are in agreement that the window can come down, so you both can get a better point of view of what each other sees, and reality is.  instead of just settling for looking through the glass, tear down as many barriers as possible.

so what's the point you ask?  How about being at a state of mind to actually sit and listen and to think about what another person has to say regarding their views. You might not agree, and maybe it's not "correct" version of reality, but how about the joy that comes from listening what another person says. That's the magic.

I love listening and reading what people think on their views regarding life in general.  People are so interesting, and i have to say that there hasn't been one person that I haven't learned from. I mean, hey, if someone cares enough to let you know their opinion and vies based on their experience, what's in the harm of listening. you get some knowledge, and they get to share it, everyone wins.

sharing is caring.... :grin:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2723858 - 05/24/04 06:34 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Whoa!

It's like what I wonder about...

Is my experience of purple or blue the same as yours?

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #2724250 - 05/24/04 08:24 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Xibalba said:
So what good does it do to come to an agreement about something when we can't even agree what it is we are agreeing on?
Plato's Cave gets dredged up quite a bit in here, but I think even that scenario is too optimistic- it has everyone watching the same puppet show...

Your posts never cease to get my mind going. :wink:

I'm not sure if optimism or pessimism necessarily apply to Plato's Myth of the Cave, but you paint an interesting thought in a new light.  We often assume that we're all watching the same (same enough, at least) puppet show.  It's easy to forget that we all have separate perceptions even when we share so much common ground.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2724445 - 05/24/04 09:31 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Well, that's what's kind of cool. If we can get past the fact that everyone has a different perspective, and quit trying to change everyone else's perspective to our own, we can gain a lot of knowledge about the world.

Rather than argue over whether the sand is pink or not, and if so, why, just enjoy sharing the different perspective.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: but through a glass, pinkly [Re: Frog]
    #2725519 - 05/25/04 01:15 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

but what if my sand is pinker than yours :P

i love to joke.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: but through a glass, pinkly [Re: truekimbo2]
    #2725579 - 05/25/04 01:32 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

If your sand was pinker than mine, then, quite honestly, I'd want to know why your sand was pinker than mine. Why was I gyped?

I would love to have pink sand. Where do you find pink sand? Someone used to say of me: "You're all about pretty shapes and colors".

Speaking of pretty shapes and colors, has anyone else observed the purple jacaranda trees that blossom at this time of year?

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineOddish
Bulbasaur!
Male

#2725587 - 05/25/04 01:35 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

No, but I have been playing with the cicadas quite often.

:smile:

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: but through a glass, pinkly [Re: Oddish]
    #2725658 - 05/25/04 01:48 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

But are they purple?  :grin:

--------------------

OfflineOddish
Bulbasaur!
Male

#2725711 - 05/25/04 01:59 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hahaha, no, but this glass I'm drinking out of right now is. I think tomorrow I'm gonna go in search of these Jacaranda trees! From the looks of it, they don't look like they'd be hard to find.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: but through a glass, pinkly [Re: Oddish]
    #2725791 - 05/25/04 02:16 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Nice pic, and thanks. 

I so love the jacaranda tree!!!  Here in Santa Ana, Orange County, California, they are abundant.  Some streets are totally lined with those trees.  I love purple trees.

And when the tree drops their flowers, the petals below seem to reflect the tree above.  I'm glad this happens only once a year.  Helps me to keep straight what time of year I'm living in.  :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #2726332 - 05/25/04 05:12 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Jacaranda.... so that's what they're called.

I'd really like to see a Jacaranda, a red poinciana, and yellow tabebuia all grouped together.

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
    #2727006 - 05/25/04 11:31 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Those are so cool, they look like Truffaluff trees, or whatever those trees the Lorax spoke for that got thneeds made out of 'em were called.  Nice stuff, I'm so sad I'm missing the lilacs back in Kingston.  The Barriefield Rock Garden is basically a whole bunch of nice paths through these massive lilac bushes filled with songbirds and godammit, what am I doing out on the East Coast?  I miss the Great Lakes.  Oh well, I guess I'll appreciate being out here in the fall. 

Yeah, it's wierd when you run into occaisons where your perception of reality is different from someone else's and you don't know which is 'right'.  The possiblity that you're both wrong is neat in that in forces one to acknowledge that you view of reality isn't more valid than anyone elses', it's just more relevant to your experiences, being as that's what it's been formed by.

"Someone used to say to me: 'You're all about pretty shapes and colours'."...  Hee hee hee, yeah, who isn't, really. :grin: :smirk: :hippie:

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology