Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
how can people hang on to life when they know they're dying?
    #2682875 - 05/15/04 03:19 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Very recently my uncle passed away, I didn't get a chance to see him before his death but I know my grandma (his sister) was making arrangements to take a plane to Europe to see him. He knew she was on the way and he vowed not to die until he saw her one last time. After she finally arrived, two days later he passed away in his sleep. I am very much in wonder how someone can know that they are dying, yet somehow will themself to stay alive. The transition of 'letting go' and allowing yourself to die is mind blowing to me. Does anyone think 'ego loss' on psychadelics would be something similar?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: how can people hang on to life when they know they're dying? [Re: chodamunky]
    #2682926 - 05/15/04 03:39 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Don't have a reference, but a study has shown that more severly ill Americans die shortly after Christmas. My uncle with brain cancer held on for a family reunion then let go soon thereafter.

The will to live is only one of many factors determing time of death and frequently has no bearing at all; usually only in long protracted illnesses.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: how can people hang on to life when they know they're dying? [Re: Swami]
    #2682938 - 05/15/04 03:42 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

This probably ties somewhat into the "mind over matter" idea. I know there have been a few (many?) medical studies done on the power of thought over illness.

Now, before anyone starts arguing, I am NOT saying that we have some mental ability to completely heal ourselves when injured or sick :smirk:

However it seems fairly obvious at this point that positive thinking DOES have some effect on the physical well-being of the body (and likewise, negative thought/feeling has something of a detrimental effect).

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: how can people hang on to life when they know they're dying? [Re: trendal]
    #2683092 - 05/15/04 04:57 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Now, before anyone starts arguing

Geez, why not take ALL THE FUN out of S&P...  :smirk:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: how can people hang on to life when they know they're dying? [Re: Swami]
    #2683102 - 05/15/04 05:00 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

"argument" is not the same as "discussion"

Well to be honest, I love a good argument! Nothing else is quite as mentally stimulating as facing an opponent and truely arguing over a subject!

Arguing on the internet, however, is not quite the same. Here, I prefer discussion, not argument :wink:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: how can people hang on to life when they know they're dying? [Re: chodamunky]
    #2683133 - 05/15/04 05:08 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Why else use psychedelics except as training and preparation for death? I mean, the serious use of psychedelics, not just for novelty/fun/entertainment - eudaemonia - happiness as an end. The awareness of the Eternal Now, growing and overwhelming the ego which shrinks and shrinks and vanishes is ego death, and physical death occurs when the ego does not reappear. Practice makes perfect, providing we are not killed suddenly, or are not so absorbed in the Now that even a sudden death doesn't shock us.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
Re: how can people hang on to life when they know they're dying? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #2684272 - 05/15/04 10:13 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Why else use psychedelics except as training and preparation for death?

hmmm, never thought of it that way before! but then again I'm a newbie psychadelic drug user, I've never had ego loss during a trip. I don't think I'm at this stage of my hallucinogen use yet, I'm still in the "holy shit I can't believe this is happening" wonder/entertainment/fun stage.  :grin:

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Loc: OR
    #2689123 - 05/16/04 10:13 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Don't we all know on some level that all we're doing is dying?  All we can do is hang on to life in the most joyous/tolerable/wonderful/frightening way possible.

Not sure this relates, but that's how I see it :smile:

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: how can people hang on to life when they know they're dying? [Re: GernBlanston]
    #2689163 - 05/16/04 10:20 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Don't we all know on some level that all we're doing is dying

Im not dying, Im living. My body hasnt reached deterioration mode yet. Until then...ta-ta!

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

Jump to top Pages: 1

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags