Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJCoke
dream observer
Male

Loc: maryland Flag
entertainments double standard
    #3907853 - 03/12/05 05:03 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Most everyone agrees, or atleast most everyone who who indulges in television shows, movies, and even books and stories will tell say that the violence in them has no effect on there attitude towards violence in reailty, it effects there choices and decisions in life in no way, if this was true, what effect could "drug free america" and "truth: dont smoke" and "stop racism" and "stay in school" and "don't pollute the native americans land" and "christians childen fund" and "help support cancer treatment" and "the mormon church and other religiost adds" possibly have on any bodies thoughts? just a waste of time, effort and money by these delusional folks who think they can possibly have an effect on someone else's choices? i think so...

--------------------
hello, your name is life on earth
------------------------------------

"I traveled a long way seeking God, but when I finally gave up and turned back, there He was, within me! O Lalli! Now why do you wander like a beggar? Make some effort, and He will grant you a vision of Himself in the form of bliss in your heart." -the saint of the Kashmir Shaivism tradition: Lalli.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: entertainments double standard [Re: JCoke]
    #3907917 - 03/12/05 05:22 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Tax write-offs + a larger pool of bodies for collection.

Without such advertisements, then they would lose their government sponsored/initiated funding... no funding>>>>no jobs

Some of them are most likely honest in their intention... But, I'd do a bit of research regarding their financial allocation. Many Americans believe that the Red Cross is a very good charity to donate money to... but if you do some Google searches, you'll find plenty of real stories (note worthy journalism) which discuss their fraudulent collections, and the failure to report and/or give the funds to the victim('s) of the disaster.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    #3907932 - 03/12/05 05:26 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

But good advertisement actually *does* work, in the sense that we are drawn to whatever is similar in nature to our character and adds seek to change us from the inside out. And when we observe these adds we reinforce our nature in question. When you say "it doesn't affect me" then it has you, because it's speaking directly to your subconscious, slipping past your conscious filters. Helpful adds have a positive effect on those who's natures could benefit from listening.

InvisibleNariusFractal
Sat Chit Ananda
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: entertainments double standard [Re: the_phoenix]
    #3908656 - 03/12/05 08:15 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I think that's what he was saying. That we will consume entertainment with promiscuous sexual activity, violence and hate and claim that it has no effect on us. Yet, we still advertise these good causes... It's a double standard.

I think it has to do with having a discerning mind and heart, and choosing what things you let effect you. But is that possible? Junk in/junt out maybe?

--------------------
You are the microcosm of the macrocosm.

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: entertainments double standard [Re: NariusFractal]
    #3908795 - 03/12/05 08:58 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

sheister said:
I think that's what he was saying. That we will consume entertainment with promiscuous sexual activity, violence and hate and claim that it has no effect on us. Yet, we still advertise these good causes... It's a double standard.

I think it has to do with having a discerning mind and heart, and choosing what things you let effect you. But is that possible? Junk in/junt out maybe?

Ah, now I see the double standard. I was so caught up in my own reply that I missed it the first time, heh.

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
    #3908990 - 03/12/05 09:55 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

There is a significant statistical probabilty that when violence is consumed in media form that it does indeed ilicit a rise in "violent behaviors." Advertising works, even if you know how it works. You can't wish away the effects of something anymore than you can find a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

My point: Advertising works, that's why it is done. Violence in the media causes a physiological change in the body, and is done for this purpose.

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: entertainments double standard [Re: Signo]
    #3910893 - 03/13/05 12:09 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Most media is out there to contoll and funnel the direction of thoughts in a certain direction for a number of purposes. Some directs you to be distracted, some directs you to the truth, sometimes it directs you to a lie and sometimes it directs you to buy.

By itself, media is a good thing, but used with evil intentions, it can be a tool for control, subduction of the mind, all sorts of propaganda, lies, etc. Remember that almost everything you see on Television is acted out according to a script. What you view on it is not the nature of realitied which is real.

I prefer not To watch TV.

--------------------
Agent 727

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Loc: The Womb of Love
Re: entertainments double standard [Re: MAGnum]
    #3910989 - 03/13/05 12:36 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

TV isnt the problem, its our weak, suscpetable minds that we have issues with. If our minds were stable we wouldnt be influenced by television at all, there would be no problem.  :tongue:

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: entertainments double standard [Re: egghead1]
    #3911046 - 03/13/05 01:01 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Violence is our nature. Conflict is the cornerstone of all of our entertainment. That is human nature and we can't escape it. I play violent video games, read violent books, watch violent movies, and listen to loud music. I have the ability to control my actions so the entertainment I choose has no bearing on my behavior because I take responsibility for myself. Instead of trying to control the content of the media available to us, how about we promote the idea that people are responsible for their actions and quit promoting victim status to our population. A society of strong, self-responsible individuals is much more desirable than a society of "it wasn't my fault" victims. Children can also be taught to be responsible for their actions as well as adults so this whole victim mentality is invalid for them as well. I have managed to raise 3 self-responsible children to near college age with little trouble. It must be said that part of being responsible is filtering one's input to ensure our output stays uncorrupted. Having taste is part of being responsible as well.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology