Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
Re: Deciding on a terrarrium tek
    #26207 - 07/30/00 11:11 AM (23 years, 7 months ago)

Hi Oxygen,
I'm glad that your jars are doing well:-) It's always nice to see things colonize!

Well, the perlite tek is great in my opinion for humidifcation. Works extremely well. Cleaning it up is a bit mess but, you'll have that.

As for your terrainum, you can use a large container made by Rubbermaid or Sterlite. Sterlite makes a 96 quart plastic storage container. You can find them at Wal-Mart for abotu $8.00 They're about the size of a 20 gallon glass aquarium. 20 gallon tanks are about $30 though. (That price may not be accurate, I haven't bought a glass tank in along time:-)

As far as your jars go...you can't use tapered. Reason: the cake needs to slide out of the jar after its colonized. If there is a lip or a indentation in the jar, the cake won't be able to slide out of it. The mouth of the jar needs to be flat with the rest of the jar (like a drinking glass) or wider then the bottom of the jar.

If you have any questions, just send me a private message:-)

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Deciding on a terrarrium tek [Re: Lana]
    #26209 - 07/30/00 11:34 AM (23 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the great idea! I'll buy one of those rubbermaid containers.

When I say tapered, I don't mean that it has a shoulder, which it doesn't. It's bigger at the top than the bottom, and has no neck or "shoulder" so it should slide out. It just isn't as wide and flat as the Kerr widemouth.

OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

#26210 - 07/30/00 12:40 PM (23 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

Anonymous

#26211 - 07/30/00 12:53 PM (23 years, 7 months ago)

So with small inlet holes in the container, the humidity will stay high enough but I won't have to ventilate the container?

Also, with these rubbermaid containers, do I need to put a slanted cover over the mushrooms to keep the water droplets off of them? If so, what should I use?

Anonymous

#26212 - 07/30/00 03:04 PM (23 years, 7 months ago)

My hampster has used both the wide and regular 1/2 pint jars. Both work fine. He prefers the wide mouth. The taller cakes can fall over when lifting out of terrerium.

The plastic containers work well. He uses a 64 qt and 32 qt with perlite. No inlet holes, just a daily fanning. He keeps the humidity at about 95%. From his experience you don't need a drip shield if you aren't spraying for humidification. He has had no trouble with condensation on the lids. If you use a clear container, wrap with paper or cloth on the sides and use a clear top or place a plexiglass window on the top.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Cogito, ergo sum

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #26213 - 07/30/00 03:21 PM (23 years, 7 months ago)

quote:
Originally posted by Oxygen:
So with small inlet holes in the container, the humidity will stay high enough but I won't have to ventilate the container?

You have to ventilate the container!!
The shrooms need fresh air, so the CO2 that bulds up in the container is removed and also as shrooms need some oxigen. You have to fan the air out at least 3 times a day or even more often. You can also use an aquarium air pump - it saves you work.
Stagnant air and too much humidity are the primary reasons for contamination.

Anonymous

#26214 - 07/30/00 05:12 PM (23 years, 7 months ago)

You guys totally rock.

So I need both holes AND fanning or can fanning alone be enough?

Can just using an aquarium pump be enough by itself or is it just a supplement? It so happens I have an aquarium pump laying around.

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
    #26215 - 07/30/00 05:18 PM (23 years, 7 months ago)

Oxygen,
Read this post about exhaust holes in terrainums...
http://www.shroomery.org/ubbnoncgi/Forum2/HTML/010366.html

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Anonymous

#26216 - 07/30/00 06:45 PM (23 years, 7 months ago)

Will you marry me?

Anonymous

#26217 - 07/30/00 10:02 PM (23 years, 7 months ago)

One more question.

I've had the lids of my jars on tight, and the holes taped per the PF Tek. However it seems to me that at some point I must need to let some air in, before the colonization is complete. Should I take the tape off? Or maybe loosen the cap a little bit? And at what day should I do this?

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #26218 - 07/31/00 12:54 PM (23 years, 7 months ago)

quote:
Originally posted by Oxygen:
...So I need both holes AND fanning or can fanning alone be enough?...

Fanning should be enough.
Many people think, since CO2 is heavier than air it will settle down at the bottom of the container and you can simply let it out by driilling holes in the wall. They imagine CO2 being water. But consider follwing:
The density of CO2 at 100?F is app. 10 kilo/cubic meter,
the density of water 1000 kilo/cubic meter. This means water is 100 times heavier. CO2 doesn?t simply settle on the bottom like water.

You also have to consider a thermodynamic effect called diffusion. Through microscopic small movements of the gas molecules two gases are mixed together without outer contibution, simply by themselves.
Therefore you dont have 2 layers, one of CO2 and one of air in your container but more or less a homogenous mixture of both.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag