Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
HP Lovecraft movies
    #25870104 -

Just came across this last night: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-dreamlands-h-p-lovecrafts-dream-cycle

They already started filming this movie based on Lovecrafts Dream Cycle stories, they finished a 6 min trailer too:


THE DREAMLANDS - Trailer

Looks surprisingly epic/professional for a crowd funded movie. Very excited to see the full thing eventually. Been wanting to read all the Dream Cycle stories for awhile now.

And here's a more goofy comedy horror:




The Last Lovecraft The Relic of Cthulhu Official Trailer

"You ever been fish raped?" :rofldrunk:

Been hoping to see a sequel to the Last Lovecraft movie, since it ends with a Mountains Of Madness teaser which would make an awesome movie :crazy2:


--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: HP Lovecraft movies [Re: musiclover420] * 1
    #25870116 -

I recommend From Beyond, and Dagon. Both directed by Stuart Gordon.


--------------------
She/HeršŸ³ļøā€āš§ļø

Libertine Gramscian social-reconstructionist

:blazed::spinleaf::bongload:

Edited by Calm_A_Llama_Down (03/12/19 04:03 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: HP Lovecraft movies [Re: Calm_A_Llama_Down]
    #25870130 -

Calm_A_Llama_Down said:
I recommend From Beyond, and Dagon. Both directed by Stuart Gordon.



The track record for lovecraftian movies is sadly terrible, no one has been able to get it right yet, but most members of the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society agree the two mentioned above are among the better.

I have high hope for the forthcoming  ā€œLovecraft Countyā€ TV show from HBO,
I’m also still kinda holding out hope guillermo del toro goes forward with his plans to make an ā€œAt the Mountians of Madness,ā€ movie but I’ve heard that project was shelved so he would work on a ā€œScary Stories to Tell in the Dark,ā€ series.

We shall see.


--------------------
Maiden, Mother, and Crone.

You are Me and I am You.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: HP Lovecraft movies [Re: musiclover420]
    #25870138 -

The Void came out a couple years ago, and it’s not fully a Lovecraft story, but was clearly heavily influenced by him.

I saw a 1970s version of The Dunwich Horror once.  I don’t remember it very well, so it probably wasnt great.

This music video seems to have been adapted from ā€˜The Shadow Over Innsmouth’, and it’s pretty good.

Carpenter Brut- Escape from Midwich Valley


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: HP Lovecraft movies [Re: SARAtonin]
    #25870149 -

Do you like the silent call of cthulhu film? I really like the way alot of it looks. I love the scene of the cult ritual in the swamp.

My favorite thing about Lovecraft's work is how well he nails the oppressiveness of the void, and the weakness of the human mind. Searching for answers always lands on madness and regret. Man will never see the tapestry of the cosmos for what it is, man is but a negligible stain upon its unfathomable fabric. It's hard to put that in movie form.


--------------------
She/HeršŸ³ļøā€āš§ļø

Libertine Gramscian social-reconstructionist

:blazed::spinleaf::bongload:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: HP Lovecraft movies [Re: Calm_A_Llama_Down]
    #25870164 -

Calm_A_Llama_Down said:
Do you like the silent call of cthulhu film? I really like the way alot of it looks. I love the scene of the cult ritual in the swamp.

My favorite thing about Lovecraft's work is how well he nails the oppressiveness of the void, and the weakness of the human mind. Searching for answers always lands on madness and regret. Man will never see the tapestry of the cosmos for what it is, man is but a negligible stain upon its unfathomable fabric. It's hard to put that in movie form.



I watched that one one night while on a short vacation in hawaii, really enjoyed it. They did a great job making it look like a 30's/40's film, I actually thought it was before looking it up.

Any of you Lovecraft fans read the Silver Key stories? Was reading up on them last night and they sound incredibly trippy/cosmic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silver_Key

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Through_the_Gates_of_the_Silver_Key

Here is some of the description of part 2:

Quote:
At a gathering to decide the fate of Randolph Carter's estate (which has been held in trust since his disappearance) the mysterious Swami Chandraputra, who wears curious mittens and enveloping robes, tells Carter's acquaintances of his ultimate fate. He explains that the key took Carter to a type of higher dimension. There, Carter, on an ill-defined mission (or out of sheer curiosity), travelled strange sections of the cosmos by first meeting with 'Umr at-Tawil, a dangerous being warned of in the Necronomicon, saying those who deal with it never return. 'Umr at-Tawil offers Carter a chance to plunge deeper into the cosmos; Carter thus perceives the true nature of the universe before passing through the "Ultimate Gate."

After passing through the Ultimate Gate, Carter (now reduced to a disembodied facet of himself) encounters an Entity, implied to be Yog-Sothoth itself. This being explains that all conscious beings are facets of much greater beings, which exist outside the traditional model of three dimensions. Carter himself is a facet of this particular being, the Supreme Archetype, made up of the greatest thinkers of the universe. The Entity, appearing to be proud of Carter's accomplishments, offers to grant him a wish relating to the many facets of which it is a part. Carter explains that he would love to know more about the facets of a particular long-extinct race on a distant planet, Yaddith, which is constantly threatened by the monstrous Dholes. He has been having persistent dreams about Yaddith in the last few months. The Supreme Archetype accomplishes this by transferring Carter's consciousness into the body of one of his facets among that race, that of Zkauba the wizard



:mindblown:

Can't wait to see the Dreamlands movie, the trailer looks amazing...


--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free


Edited by musiclover420 (03/12/19 04:34 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: HP Lovecraft movies [Re: musiclover420]
    #25870180 -

Also I recommend The Darkest Of the Hilside Thickets. They are a heavily lovecraftian band from Canada.



--------------------
She/HeršŸ³ļøā€āš§ļø

Libertine Gramscian social-reconstructionist

:blazed::spinleaf::bongload:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: HP Lovecraft movies [Re: musiclover420]
    #25870209 -

Never heard of that one. I'll have to give it a read. I like the dream stories but they can be hard to follow. I think my fave works of his are "the Shadow Out of Time", "The walls of Erynx", and "The fungi of Yuggoth".

Here is my favorite segment of the Fungi of Yuggoth.
Ā 
"The Well

Farmer Seth Atwood was past eighty when
He tried to sink that deep well by his door,
With only Eb to help him bore and bore.
We laughed, and hoped he’d soon be sane again.
And yet, instead, young Eb went crazy, too,
So that they shipped him to the county farm.
Seth bricked the well-mouth up as tight as glue—
Then hacked an artery in his gnarled left arm.

After the funeral we felt bound to get
Out to that well and rip the bricks away,
But all we saw were iron hand-holds set
Down a black hole deeper than we could say.
And yet we put the bricks back—for we found
The hole too deep for any line to sound."Ā 


--------------------
She/HeršŸ³ļøā€āš§ļø

Libertine Gramscian social-reconstructionist

:blazed::spinleaf::bongload:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: HP Lovecraft movies [Re: Calm_A_Llama_Down]
    #25870216 -

If we're sharing all things lovecraft here's a really fun comic series about HP Lovecraft and Nikola Tesla teaming up to fight evil (along with Mark Twain Amelia Earhart and others)

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Herald-Lovecraft-and-Tesla








Only 9 issues out sadly, and it has been on hold for awhile. But I just googled it and saw a Facebook post from the creators stating issues 10-12 should come out before long :awesomenod:

Here's are some actual pages from the comic, one of my favorite parts:




That's Amelia trapped in some other dimension, really beautiful psychedelic art :crazy2:


--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: HP Lovecraft movies [Re: Calm_A_Llama_Down]
    #25870230 -

I’d almost forgotten about that one.

I thought it was absolutely great for what it was, a fourty minute silent film.

Definitely fun, cute, and tropie, totally worth the watch, like it said it’s upsettingly short.

Just not the great Lovecraft film I’ve been waiting for.


I much as I love his themes, for me Lovecraft for me is all about the ideas.
From the shadowland of prexistance to the fledgling cultures of the hyborian age to modern dream manipulation... I could go on for ages....


--------------------
Maiden, Mother, and Crone.

You are Me and I am You.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: HP Lovecraft movies [Re: musiclover420]
    #25870240 -

Holly shit that looks really good! I got to get a copy of that.

I just read Neil Gaiman's "A study in emerald" comic. It's sherlock holms meets cthulu basically. It was good but far too short.


--------------------
She/HeršŸ³ļøā€āš§ļø

Libertine Gramscian social-reconstructionist

:blazed::spinleaf::bongload:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: HP Lovecraft movies [Re: Calm_A_Llama_Down]
    #25870252 -

If you’re reading Gaiman comics please tell me you’ve read sandman.


--------------------
Maiden, Mother, and Crone.

You are Me and I am You.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: HP Lovecraft movies [Re: SARAtonin]
    #25870256 -

No, do you like it? Maybe I'll get it in a big volume or something.


--------------------
She/HeršŸ³ļøā€āš§ļø

Libertine Gramscian social-reconstructionist

:blazed::spinleaf::bongload:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: HP Lovecraft movies [Re: Calm_A_Llama_Down]
    #25870274 -

It’s hands down the best comic every created and my favorite thing Gaiman ever wrote.

I can not express enough how much you NEED to read Sandman.

Look into it, I swear you will not be disappointed.


--------------------
Maiden, Mother, and Crone.

You are Me and I am You.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: HP Lovecraft movies [Re: SARAtonin]
    #25870290 -

SARAtonin said:
If you’re reading Gaiman comics please tell me you’ve read sandman.



Have actually eyed some of the Sandman comics, though maybe not the original one. Is it a really long series?

Found it: https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/The-Sandman-1989

Most of the sequels/spinoffs are from other writers though apparently. Will have to check the original out eventually :strokebeard:


--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: HP Lovecraft movies [Re: musiclover420]
    #25870327 -

Any of you Gaiman fans catch the first ep of season two of ā€˜American Gods’ on Sunday night?  I forgot, but showtime reruns everything like a dozen times a week so I’ll catch it eventually.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* hp lovecraft
( 1 2 all )
nightkrawler 3,712 24 01/16/07 02:57 PM
by Annapurna1
* horror movie remakes (hellraiser, halloween...)
( 1 2 all )
nightkrawler 6,228 20 10/28/06 07:54 PM
by Asante
* Classic horror movies
( 1 2 3 all )
musiclover420 1,555 55 03/29/19 06:43 AM
by viraldrome
* What Is Your Favorite Cheesy Movie?
( 1 2 all )
Mighty Bop 2,416 27 08/14/05 09:14 PM
by coda
* lovecraft JT 1,049 17 10/13/09 01:17 PM
by DrMambo
* OMG "White Chicks" was the worst movie EVER!! dr0mni 1,908 19 11/26/05 05:59 PM
by Skunk420
* The Simpsons...Full-length movie to hit theatres. Nuggetpouch 895 5 05/15/06 03:33 PM
by recalcitrant
* H.P Lovecraft Audio books? beneath 647 3 03/20/08 02:08 PM
by Bridgeburner

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
305 topic views. 2 members, 47 guests and 166 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.