Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineZovers
Messy Burger
I'm a teapot

Using a SGFC to Acclimate Salvia D.?
    #25119690 - 04/06/18 10:00 PM (6 years, 11 days ago)

Hey guys, I just got my first Salvia D. cuttings in the mail today (Yay!!!) and as I live in the desert I know that the plants will need to be acclimated to the low humidity levels. My question is if anyone has any experience with using a SGFC as a humidity tent for the cuttings? If so, does it work well and are there any helpful tips or tricks that you know of?

Below is a photo of my current set up, please let me know if I need to change anything.

Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Europe
Re: Using a SGFC to Acclimate Salvia D.? [Re: Zovers]
    #25119975 - 04/07/18 03:55 AM (6 years, 11 days ago)

They need high humidity, light and air.
You should open it up and get some air exchange and then close it once in a while.
I think it looks good.
Good luck with them.

When they have got nice roots and grown a bit you should start aclimatising them to dryer conditions.
Just open the tub up gradually and very slow, preferably so slow it takes a few months.
The slower you do it the higher chance you dont run into any troubble.
Saw a member here that aclimatised his to dry indoor conditions without any added humidity at all and they looked very good.
He did take it very slow to aclimitise them.

--------------------
A wise rat has many holes

OfflineMrvince
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Using a SGFC to Acclimate Salvia D.? [Re: Mateo]
    #25120375 - 04/07/18 09:49 AM (6 years, 10 days ago)

I had a salvia D cuttings once also. I moved her outside in the high desert under a small plastic dome. The light was too much so I moved her indoors where I ended up shocking her with the environment change, and to make things worse I over powered the water with nutrients and killed the poor thing. Will definitely have to try again in the future. Your sally plant looks very happy, and I wish the best with it.

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: Using a SGFC to Acclimate Salvia D.? [Re: Mrvince] * 1
    #25120485 - 04/07/18 10:30 AM (6 years, 10 days ago)

I think that's a pretty good idea, you could drill like one more hole everyday and monitor the RH to make it drop slowly but steady. The thing is it might outgrow the fruiting chamber pretty quick.

I did acclimate one fully to dry air, it grows next to a space heater so very low RH and no problem.
Can't really say how I did it though, it was more through neglect than a real intentional thing.
It had too many cuttings and I could not fit one in my martha greenhouse so I left it outside and sprayed it a couple times a day, around september last year.

It looked bad and droopy for a while, dropped leaves, grew some odd twisted ones but stayed alive. Then I brought it in for the winter, just watered it when needed. It kept growing weird for a while but now for the past month or two it finally grows normal leaves with that nice sheen, and seemingly at the same rate as my plants in the humid greenhouse:

The whole process took about 6 months, could probably be optimized though, but goes to show how tough Salvia can be. I gave a cutting to a friend and it is thriving on his windowsill.
I'm gonna give it a nice big pot and keep the motherplant inside as a houseplant, and make sure to spread cuttings as much as I can.

--------------------
Trade List

Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
Re: Using a SGFC to Acclimate Salvia D.? [Re: MeanGreen]
    #25121389 - 04/07/18 05:20 PM (6 years, 10 days ago)

I'd remove the perlite and just use the tub until it starts showing new growth. Once new leaves start to grow I'd then crack the lid and then slowly open it up until it can grow without it. From there acclimatise to the rooms environment.

Plants kept in humidity chambers for too long become weak and sickly. They can become quite difficult to acclimatise once they get too weak.

--------------------

OfflineZovers
Messy Burger
I'm a teapot

Re: Using a SGFC to Acclimate Salvia D.? [Re: karode13]
    #25124095 - 04/08/18 06:42 PM (6 years, 9 days ago)

You think that it's best to remove the perlite right away? I know that the plants were originally kept in a green house with artificially high humidity and as I live in a desert with an average annual RH of 24.7% I figured that the perlite and SGFC would most closely resemble the environment they are used to. My idea was to let the perlite naturally dry over time and to also gradually increase the time spent without a lid on the SGFC in order to slowly acclimate them to the desert conditions until they are able to be removed from the artificial environment completely.

What is everyone's view on this plan? Any other suggestions for bettering it?

Thanks for all the input and stories so far guys, i really appreciate it and am feeling a bit more confident in my technique as a result! If anyone is interested I will keep this thread updated with the latest in my endeavor.

Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Using a SGFC to Acclimate Salvia D.? [Re: Zovers]
    #25124753 - 04/09/18 01:17 AM (6 years, 9 days ago)

If you plan on letting the perlite dry out then leave it be. It should be able to handle your locations humidity in time. You might need to experiment a bit to find the sweet spot.

Update and ask any questions as needed.

--------------------

Offlinematt1208
HERBALIST

Loc: in the heavens
Re: Using a SGFC to Acclimate Salvia D.? [Re: karode13]
    #25126860 - 04/09/18 07:59 PM (6 years, 8 days ago)

I'd bought and killed 3 plants, 4th one I put in an old sgfc I use for cuttings while I made up something else for the salvia, started growing so well and quick it's still in there

--------------------
I AM ZEUS

Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Using a SGFC to Acclimate Salvia D.? [Re: matt1208]
    #25127375 - 04/10/18 01:29 AM (6 years, 8 days ago)

Strike some cuttings and then go about acclimatising one of them. You can do it!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom