Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |
Re: Internet radicalisation [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #24811222 -

The Ecstatic said:
Thats not what I was disputing, but lets change the argument again for no reason.



What were you disputing?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Internet radicalisation [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #24811227 -

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
qman said:
...why in the world do capitalists ALWAYS seek the lowest cost of labor?



To try and underprice their competition.

qman said:
Did you already forget why the border has remained open?



The borders aren't open guy.



"To try and underprice their competition"

Exactly, that kind of throws the always passing on the costs to consumers theory out the window.

"The borders aren't open guy"

Semantics.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Internet radicalisation [Re: qman]
    #24811273 -

qman said:
The Ecstatic said:
Thats not what I was disputing, but lets change the argument again for no reason.



What were you disputing?



That you've argued for illegal immigration in order to keep food prices low an endless amount of times, or even a handful of times.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Internet radicalisation [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #24811309 -

The Ecstatic said:
qman said:
The Ecstatic said:
Thats not what I was disputing, but lets change the argument again for no reason.



What were you disputing?



That you've argued for illegal immigration in order to keep food prices low an endless amount of times, or even a handful of times.



No, I have argued for the complete opposite. I don't care if food prices potentially went higher because of US workers getting paid more money to do those jobs.

You will never find of post of mine arguing pro illegal immigration.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Internet radicalisation [Re: Tipote] * 1
    #24811347 -

Tipote said:
Kryptos said:
Real wages can go down all they want, standard of living is still up. Again, we are able to communicate without ever seeing each other while taking a crap. This is literally unheard of half a century ago. I know wages are going down and all that, my point is that the poorest of the poor today live like the kings of old.



Are you saying we have a good standard of living because we can talk while having a poo?
Should we be comparing our society to feudal society?

Quote:
And no, there isn't enough money to go around. Not enough money to have kids and support them. 5000 years ago there wasn't enough fire to go around, and the tigers ate your kids before you got to support them. 500 years ago, not enough food, and 75% of your kids died to disease by age 10. 50 years ago, well, the population was smaller. Too bad condoms were borderline illegal, would've probably slowed some of this shit down...



What are you talking about? 500 years ago there wasn't enough fire? What?
There isn't enough money to go around? Why?

Oxfam says wealth of richest 1% equal to other 99%
US wealth inequality - top 0.1% worth as much as the bottom 90%

so, yes there have been advances in 5000 years. Perhaps I missed the point there.

Quote:
My point is, all of these things are caused by some major systemic issues. Complete reorganization will require a lot of work.



Yup. Again, what is your point?

Quote:
Population stabilizes based on the carrying capacity of the system. If the population exceeds the carrying capacity, the population corrects back down. So, either we put some scientists to work on some GMO-and-solar-flavored expansions to the carrying capacity of the environment, or we get use to a population correction.



How are you assessing that carrying capacity?

Quote:
Parts of the world starve, parts of the world's hearts detonate at age 35, and part just don't have health insurance.



Yeah, its fucked up. Again, what is your point? Planet Earth doesn't need to have such gross inequality. Its nothing to do with carrying capacity.
Quote:
Suicide is a symptom of despair caused by that realization in some form, the realization that you and your life is a resource to be used whether you want it to be or not, by powers largely outside your control. Some people can work in the system, some people can't. It's all part of the natural growth and stagnation cycle.



I really don't think youre making the case that suicide is a good sign.

Quote:
Heck, let's go back to the OP a little bit more-the whole siege mentality thing. As soon as people are no longer either totally in control or slowly gaining ground, they feel like they are losing. It's why the neo-nazis and alt-right keep popping up everywhere fighting for white people. To them, the slight erosion of an utter domination is too much to bear. Think they're okay living equal to their fellow man? As long as their "equal" has an extra 500sq feet of floor space more than their neighbor...



I agree that those who dominate don't want to give up their power.. So? Are you saying that equality is destructive on that basis? Did I misunderstand your point?

Quote:
Humans have long evolved to take and not give. Heck, it's wired into our biology. It's why it's easier to get fat than to lose fat.



I think that is exceedingly simplistic and limited.

Quote:
Everyone wants a leg up. So far, capitalism has provided a good way to do that, and I think inflation is a genius way of doing so.



I dont get your inflation point..
Also, capitalism has not provided everyone a leg up. Not sure where you are getting that. Have there been huge advances? yes of course, but capitalism promotes unequal development.

Quote:
Eventually, the cost of science exceeds the effectiveness of the boundary extension, and we choke. Fallen empires. Rome. ...



huh?:confused:



Yes, why not? Feudal society, in the grand scheme of things, was really not that long ago. But even if you don't buy that, compare us to our grandparents. Standard of living is way up. Your grandma have a 55 inch plasma flatscreen? How about a 54mbps internet connection? Standard of living is up. There is no question about it. Even if wages are down. However, that does not mean that we have "enough", because the very nature of life is that nothing is "enough". There is always more than can be had, more cars, bigger TVs, more gold, bigger building, bigger rocket. That's the nature of life. There will never be enough to go around, because the very concept of "enough" is foreign to our lizard brains. Got food for today? Grab those leftovers for tomorrow. Might not be enough food tomorrow. You see this play out everywhere, from the doomsday prepper to the wall street banker to the me in a lab meeting. One stockpiles food, one stockpiles money, I stockpile information and social capital, because there is never enough. We will not change this mindset without fundamentally changing our humanity, because evolution has drilled the concept of "more for me and screw you all" into our skulls. Even traditionally collectivist societies do it for selfish reasons. "I give some benefit but I get more".

By carrying capacity, I mean the total sustainable population capacity of the planet. Before the invention of fertilizer, it was about 4 billion. If we were to cover the earth with farms and get rid of all the fertilizer (you know, organic!), then a little under half of the world's population would starve to death in the next few decades. Fertilizer expanded this carrying capacity. This is how I define carrying capacity. I think the next limit will be one of energy though, not food.

If someone commits suicide, that means that they weren't to attached to life to begin with, and I'm assuming that means that if they were put in a life threatening situation, they may choose to not escape. The fact that they are around to commit suicide means that there are not enough life threatening situations anymore. I'm not trying to make the case that suicide is good, just that it means the most basic needs of society are met. Of course, I really don't have any information to back this up. If suicide rates have risen throughout history, well, I'd see that as some evidence in my favor.

Suicide is also a death of despair, much like drug OD. This shows that society is not doing enough to take care of the mental well being of its citizens. I'm sure that cutting healthcare for everyone will help though.

Anyway. I agree that assuming humans have evolved to take and not give is exceedingly simplistic and limited. The only thing is, something being simplistic and limited doesn't make it wrong. This is illustrated by the presence of authoritarian dickweeds throughout most of human history, recorded or not. Heck, even in the Bible, God *makes* the pharaoh an authoritarian dickweed just so he can cast all twelve plagues. (Read closely, after each plague, there is a verse that says "God hardened the pharaohs heart") Which in my opinion makes God the authoritarian dickweed of the day, but oh well.

I think capitalism is the best controlled reflection of this. Just like sports are occasionally referred to as bloodless combat, capitalism is bloodless robbery. And of course, much like in sports, sometimes someone gets a little riled up and a fight breaks out, but ideally the ref will step in. Unless the ref gets deregulated. My point about inflation is that capitalism doe this through inflation-the minimum wage today, in linear value, not in real value, would be the kind of take home the 1% see a century ago. Which means, that if nothing changed, the old one percent would be minimum wagers now. Of course, this ignores the tendency for money to grow exponentially above a certain point, but it provides a reasonable example for the bottom 90%-someone who is making 100k/year is about three generations away from being paid minimum wage. Their pay *has* to go up to maintain that standard of living, because the entry level when they're old and gray will be where they are. this forces them to advance, even if only on paper with the standard 2% or whatever yearly raise.

As for the science point, I think of it this way: There are four primary forms of economics: Primary, which obtains raw materials, secondary, which is manufacturing, tertiary, which is service economics, and quaternary, which is basically academia. Scientists don't really produce anything for society, they just have this unspoken contract with society which basically says "You, society, will support me and take care of my needs, and I, the scientist, will dedicate my life to crapping out something cool you've never seen before". Science is the last thing to develop, because that entire societal framework that currently pays me and provides me with places to spend my money on food, phones, and the customer service people that bring me both, needs to exist before I can. I'm expensive. Heck, I use a multi million dollar piece of equipment that costs hundreds of dollars in energy and gas and materials to operate on a daily basis, and it doesn't created any kind of value besides experimental data. I don't pay for it. Society does, because this machine helps me try to make society better. The thing is, as science gets more advanced, it starts taking more and more effort to push it forward (see: me and my multi-million UHPLC/tandem mass spec vs. Boyle's jars of air), and I imagine a theoretical limit on human knowledge being the point where it takes a full human lifespan to teach someone enough known basics to discover something new.

Now, let's relate this to my fertilizer thing from earlier. If science hadn't given us fertilizer, we couldn't have possibly gotten to 7 billion people. even more basic, if science hadn't given us the idea of crop cultivation at all, we'd all be hunter-gatherer nomads. So science expands the carrying capacity of the world. However, science becomes more and more expensive, and there are diminishing returns. Eventually, I think expanding the carrying capacity will become infeasible due to cost, and a bunch of people will die as the population levels experience a correction. Just like the stock market.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Internet radicalisation [Re: qman]
    #24811355 -

qman said:
Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
qman said:
...why in the world do capitalists ALWAYS seek the lowest cost of labor?



To try and underprice their competition.



Exactly, that kind of throws the always passing on the costs to consumers theory out the window.



No, costs will always be passed on to the consumer.  Again, corporate capitalists don't care about food costs; they simply want lower costs to beat the competition.

qman said:
I don't care if food prices potentially went higher because of US workers getting paid more money to do those jobs.



Neither do I, if US workers would do those jobs.  I also don't care if food prices potentially went higher because of immigrant workers getting paid more money to do those jobs.  That also gives them more to spend, which helps the economy.


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Internet radicalisation [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #24811366 -

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
qman said:
Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
qman said:
...why in the world do capitalists ALWAYS seek the lowest cost of labor?



To try and underprice their competition.



Exactly, that kind of throws the always passing on the costs to consumers theory out the window.



No, costs will always be passed on to the consumer.  Again, corporate capitalists don't care about food costs; they simply want lower costs to beat the competition.

qman said:
I don't care if food prices potentially went higher because of US workers getting paid more money to do those jobs.



Neither do I, if US workers would do those jobs.  I also don't care if food prices potentially went higher because of immigrant workers getting paid more money to do those jobs.  That also gives them more to spend, which helps the economy.



Lol I wouldn't pick apples in the sun all day for $20/hour. And the owners know this, which is why when the seasonal illegals don't show up, the harvest rots on the trees. Source: http://michiganradio.org/post/some-michigan-farmers-leaving-crops-rot-because-labor-shortage

And if you're paying someone who's a little more desperate than me 20$/hr to pick apples, you can believe you're paying 100$/lb at the store.

Edited by Kryptos (11/28/17 10:06 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Internet radicalisation [Re: qman]
    #24811384 -

qman said:
The Ecstatic said:
qman said:
The Ecstatic said:
Thats not what I was disputing, but lets change the argument again for no reason.



What were you disputing?



That you've argued for illegal immigration in order to keep food prices low an endless amount of times, or even a handful of times.



No, I have argued for the complete opposite. I don't care if food prices potentially went higher because of US workers getting paid more money to do those jobs.

You will never find of post of mine arguing pro illegal immigration.



Exactly, so that makes this post:

qman said:
How many times have I argued that the potential savings US consumers receive from cheaper food prices is massively outweighed by the cost of hosting illegals and overall lower wages?  Endless.




...pretty god damn wrong.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Internet radicalisation [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #24811422 -

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
qman said:
Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
qman said:
...why in the world do capitalists ALWAYS seek the lowest cost of labor?



To try and underprice their competition.



Exactly, that kind of throws the always passing on the costs to consumers theory out the window.



No, costs will always be passed on to the consumer.  Again, corporate capitalists don't care about food costs; they simply want lower costs to beat the competition.

qman said:
I don't care if food prices potentially went higher because of US workers getting paid more money to do those jobs.



Neither do I, if US workers would do those jobs.  I also don't care if food prices potentially went higher because of immigrant workers getting paid more money to do those jobs.  That also gives them more to spend, which helps the economy.



It also gives you less money to spend, that sounds like a net wash.

"costs will always be passed on to the consumer"

If the company has pricing power, if my competitor doesn't hike prices, can I still hike my prices? NO.

You do realize companies sometimes make no profit for several quarters if not several years because they can NOT pass on costs to the consumer?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Internet radicalisation [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #24811430 -

The Ecstatic said:
qman said:
The Ecstatic said:
Thats not what I was disputing, but lets change the argument again for no reason.



What were you disputing?



That you've argued for illegal immigration in order to keep food prices low an endless amount of times, or even a handful of times.



No, I have argued for the complete opposite. I don't care if food prices potentially went higher because of US workers getting paid more money to do those jobs.

You will never find of post of mine arguing pro illegal immigration.



Exactly, so that makes this post:

qman said:
How many times have I argued that the potential savings US consumers receive from cheaper food prices is massively outweighed by the cost of hosting illegals and overall lower wages?  Endless.




...pretty god damn wrong.



No it doesn't, importing cheap labor isn't worth it (unless you're the top .01 of 1%), my post clearly states that fact.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Internet radicalisation [Re: qman] * 1
    #24811518 -

qman said:
Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
costs will always be passed on to the consumer.  Again, corporate capitalists don't care about food costs; they simply want lower costs to beat the competition.



If the company has pricing power, if my competitor doesn't hike prices, can I still hike my prices? NO.

You do realize companies sometimes make no profit for several quarters if not several years because they can NOT pass on costs to the consumer?



Yes.  This is true whether both companies use immigrants, or whether neither company uses immigrants, which is why I asked what goals 'capitalists' have for wanting illegal immigrants?


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Internet radicalisation [Re: qman]
    #24811528 -

Yo how do you reconcile those two opinions?

Quote:
No it doesn't, importing cheap labor isn't worth it (unless you're the top .01 of 1%), my post clearly states that fact.



And

Quote:
How many times have I argued that the potential savings US consumers receive from cheaper food prices is massively outweighed by the cost of hosting illegals and overall lower wages?  Endless.




These are non overlapping opinions. You cannot believe both. This is exactly what I'm talking about when I bring up the convoluted ethose of the alt right. You literally argue with yourself about your position on illegal immigration.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Internet radicalisation [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #24811547 -

Nevermind, im an idiot. I read the second part backwards. My bad.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Internet radicalisation [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #24811590 -

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
qman said:
Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
costs will always be passed on to the consumer.  Again, corporate capitalists don't care about food costs; they simply want lower costs to beat the competition.



If the company has pricing power, if my competitor doesn't hike prices, can I still hike my prices? NO.

You do realize companies sometimes make no profit for several quarters if not several years because they can NOT pass on costs to the consumer?



Yes.  This is true whether both companies use immigrants, or whether neither company uses immigrants, which is why I asked what goals 'capitalists' have for wanting illegal immigrants?



Cheaper wages from the illegals and an overall larger pool of labor relative to potential demand for the US economy.

Why do you think the US allows so many legal immigrants into the US each year?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Internet radicalisation [Re: qman] * 1
    #24811684 -

Why does big business care about the cost of labor if they just pass it on to the consumer?  Food will be sold regardless of cost because it's a necessity.

I think Government wants immigrants more than big business to keep food prices down.  Especially since Americans won't do the work.


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Internet radicalisation [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #24812317 -

I always hear farmers saying that, but I don't buy it.  Eliminate minimum wage exemptions for farm work, and we'll see.  All I know is that I've busted my ass doing harder shit than any berry picker for the same price as what is now minimum wage in L.A., lower even.  i can't be the only one.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Internet radicalisation [Re: ballsalsa] * 2
    #24812932 -

Farm workers have to be paid minimum wage, and I've never seen a Caucasian working on a farm.  :shrug:


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Internet radicalisation [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #24813313 -

http://nfwm.org/education-center/farm-worker-issues/low-wages/
Quote:
farm workers work 42 hours per week and earn $7.25 per hour on average, but this “average” varies greatly. For example, workers who have worked for the same employer for multiple years earn more than other workers. Those who have been with an employer for a year or less earn an average of $6.76 per hour, and those who have been with the same employer for at least 6 years earn an average of $8.05 per hour.

Most farm workers are paid based how many buckets or bags they pick of whatever crop they harvest—this is known as the “piece rate.”Payment in this format has some drawbacks.

First of all, if workers are being paid by how much they pick, this acts as a disincentive to take breaks for water or shade, as taking breaks would cut into their productivity and thus cut into their pay.

Additionally, it’s possible for a farm worker being paid by piece rate to make less than the minimum wage. For instance, the piece rate for orange juice in Florida is 85 cents per 90-pound box of oranges. Average productivity for a worker is 8 boxes per hour, which means that during an 8-hour workday, a worker will produce 64 boxes of oranges (or 5,760 pounds of oranges!). According to the 85 cents piece rate, a worker would receive only $6.80 an hour, which is significantly less than Florida’s $7.31 minimum wage (as of 2011).

To compensate for this problem, as of 1966, federal law requires employers on large farms to pay minimum wage if a worker doesn’t earn it based on the piece rate. Unfortunately, there are loopholes to this system.

For one, about one-third of the nation’s farm workers work on small farms, and these are not subject to federal law surrounding minimum wage. If a farm worker is hired through crew leaders or farm labor contractors, which approximately one half of all farm workers are, then their growers can avoid state and federal-level employment laws, including minimum wage.






As for not seeing whites working as farm laborers, I agree that I don't see it much either.  I think that part of the reason why is that society teaches us to look down on farm labor as an unglamorous job.  The constant mantra of "americans don't want that job" is perhaps a self-fulfilling prophecy.  That being said, I kinda wish I had worked for 3 of the last 10 years on a farm, because it would make it that much easier to get an FSA loan.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Internet radicalisation [Re: ballsalsa]
    #24813496 -

In the UK, I've never seen any thing but Caucasians working on farms. In fact 98.6% of farmers in Britain are white.

We get the same "but the British wont do those jobs" narrative here too. I don't buy it. Just an excuse.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Internet radicalization [Re: Tipote]
    #24813555 -

Tipote said:
Bubbles85 said:
What and supporting the radical left as you do is not radicalization? :rolleyes:



Do you have anything to contribute?



Yes, you've started a thread about Internet Radicalization, whilst openly supporting groups like Antifa. Do you not see the irony?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* France Bans Laypeople From Reporting Violence...
( 1 2 3 all )
lonestar2004 4,117 56 03/11/07 07:51 AM
by fireworks_god
* The internet is still threatened Visionary Tools 805 7 08/08/08 12:48 PM
by The_Red_Crayon
* Media News vs. Internet News - No Wonder People Are Confused ekomstop 529 1 09/29/04 12:13 PM
by Crobih
* Will McCain get Swift boated?
( 1 2 all )
SirTripAlot 2,612 26 02/21/08 01:50 PM
by zappaisgod
* More Islamocrazies in your own back yard!!! More violence Luddite 418 1 09/29/07 07:24 AM
by Luddite
* For Muslim Who Says Violence Destroys Islam, Violent Threats downforpot 1,122 13 03/13/06 11:51 AM
by mack_tasticlies
* US Casaulty List for Camp Falcon Leaked. Over 300 casualties!!!
( 1 2 all )
The_Red_Crayon 3,143 30 08/16/07 03:34 PM
by The_Red_Crayon
* Nato soldiers astounded at the amount of Afghani violence. The_Red_Crayon 447 1 10/21/06 05:16 PM
by sleepy

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Enlil, ballsalsa
10,073 topic views. 1 members, 2 guests and 35 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.037 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.