Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Zhuangzi
    #24222866 -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhuangzi_(book)


I am considering making a serious study of this text; I love it very much so far. . .


'There is no asking about the Dao, and there is no response to that asking.'
(http://www.goldenelixir.com/taoism/texts_zhuangzi.html)


I am trying to find the source I read from before. . .  ok.  after much searching, I believe I have found it..

http://ctext.org/zhuangzi/enjoyment-in-untroubled-ease

'In the Northern Ocean there is a fish, the name of which is Kun - I do not know how many li in size. It changes into a bird with the name of Peng, the back of which is (also) - I do not know how many li in extent. When this bird rouses itself and flies, its wings are like clouds all round the sky. When the sea is moved (so as to bear it along), it prepares to remove to the Southern Ocean. The Southern Ocean is the Pool of Heaven.'


The initial words, from the Zhuangzi ^^ ..  I loved it, and was interested from then on..


There are a great number of sites with the text, and so forth. 


Today I read about a third of Wikipedia's article on it, here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhuangzi_(book)


And discovered more about it that I love. . . Especially:

'Unlike other ancient Chinese works, whose allegories were usually based on historical legends and proverbs, most Zhuangzi stories seem to have been invented by Zhuangzi himself. Some are completely whimsical, such as the strange description of evolution from "misty spray" through a series of substances and insects to horses and humans (chapter 18), while a few other passages seem to be "sheer playful nonsense" which read like Lewis Carroll's "Jabberwocky".[17] The Zhuangzi is full of quirky and fantastic characters, such as "Mad Stammerer", "Fancypants Scholar", "Sir Plow", and a man who believes his left arm will turn into a rooster, his right arm will turn into a crossbow, and his buttocks will become cartwheels.'


Fascinating characters and such, lovely..!!  Totally fascinated by those. . . beautiful....

"Mad Stammerer", "Fancypants Scholar", "Sir Plow"  :sun:


and of course, Zhuangzi, a.k.a. Zhuang Zhou wrote the famous one: 

'Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was myself. Soon I awaked, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.'


love that. . . and of course, various gems:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/149093.Zhuangzi?page=1


--------------------
Innocent, Oldfield & Hegerland          Julia Delaney, Bothy Band                                        Rasta Girl, Sister Carol                    Genesis, Jorma K
I Wish You Peace, Lawrence Laughing                                                                                                                    Do Your Thing, Moondog                     
large  . . music garden . .  very
all peace                    them hi
Starhouse - main
Time Traveler's Guide

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Zhuangzi [Re: once in a lifetime] * 1
    #24226840 -

It is one of the good ones!

If you read Lao Tzu's tao te ching next to it Zhuangzi, you can see the difference of styles.

Lao Tzu speaks of principles, and abstractions. They are not classificatory though. Not so formal! Zhuangzi speaks in a different idiom, but perhaps also of the essential laughter brought to the same principles.

When something fills a "form", it is always in relation. At closer look, even the most discrete and substantial thing, is a relation, like of the vessel in relation to what space fills it.

The way or nature of things, is not a field, where all beings are found...but the wandering path, through all such fields. (These words I am paraphrasing are Bradford Hatcher's words, by the way, whose translations of chinese texts are my favorites. Check out his i ching and tao te ching translations)

There is a great one in Zhuangzi about a knotty old tree, and about the use of carved vessels, my favorite story, (along with the butterfly - transformation of realities.

Glad to see you are enjoying this great book. This thread needs a couple bumps, so I thought I'd leave a few words! :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Zhuangzi [Re: Kurt]
    #24227425 -

That link of yours got me reading the Chuang-Tazu again. I hadn't read it for 15 years, but it's amazing now because I realise how many of those stories stuck with me my whole life.


--------------------
"They consider me insane but I know that I am a hero living under the eyes of the gods."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Your Light/Butterfly Satyapriya 659 18 08/14/11 01:26 PM
by Chronic7
* Zhuangzi and Reality Tunnels c0sm0nautt 1,173 7 02/16/10 03:53 PM
by shivas.wisdom
* Becoming a butterfly, video and message topic spiritual transfromation Cosmicjoker 366 4 05/06/13 05:12 PM
by Cosmicjoker
* The butterfly effect.... TheCreampie 989 3 04/26/11 11:51 AM
by DieCommie
* "Glowing Butterflies Shine With Natural LEDs" - National Geographic Article dr0mni 512 0 11/22/05 08:25 PM
by
* Controlling Reality Belshazazer 2,000 18 11/01/10 01:55 PM
by weshroom
* Greatest Spiritual Quotes?
( 1 2 3 4 ... 128 129 )
Chronic7 250,108 2,577 09/18/26 10:30 AM
by Lithop
* am i a house feverishly hallucinating myself as a person? deff 514 13 07/26/12 11:44 PM
by The Phleg

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, Asante, Shroomism, Rose, Kickle, yogabunny, Northerner, DividedQuantum
391 topic views. 0 members, 14 guests and 3 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.