Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Grateful Dead

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Flash Report
    #2411188 - 03/09/04 03:01 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hi, and welcome to Grateful Dead Flash #13

The Dead will join just about everybody else you've ever wanted to see (Dave Matthews, Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, Trey Anastasio, String Cheese, moe., Government Mule, lots, lots more) at Bonnaroo June 11-13 at Manchester, TN. Tickets went on sale on 2/21, with GDTS mail order starting 2/20. So get on the case! Go to http://dead.net/thedead/ for more info.

The Beast is Loose ... Bob Weir and RatDog started trotting around the country on Monday, February 23rd, with a first leg (mostly) on the West Coast. They'll jump to the East Coast in mid-March. Go to http://www.rat-dog.com/ and see if they're coming close to your home town -- or put on your travelin' shoes!

Don't forget to vote on the Jammy Awards! The Closing of Winterland has been nominated for 2 Jammys, "Archival Album of the Year" and "DVD of the Year," and The Dead's 2003 Summer Getaway Tour has been nominated for "Tour of the Year."
Vote now at: http://www.jammys.com

PBS stations around the country will continue to show the Closing of Winterland special throughout March. Check your local listings.

Recent releases, currently available at the GD Online Store

NEAR FUTURE ........

Dick's Picks rides again ..... #31 will be out around March 15th. It will be a four CD set with almost five hours of music from the last three nights of the 1974 summer tour - August 4-5-6, Philadelphia Civic Center and Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City. More info to come, so stay tuned ....

Weir Here .... Lots more on this subject later, but just so you know -- on March 23rd, Hybrid Recordings in New York will put out a 2-CD Bob Weir career retrospective called "Weir Here," a sampling of the best of Bob, with one disc of studio stuff and one of live, including a number of unreleased live songs. Cool project ...

Steve Kimock Band's legendary live performance is finally available on high definition DVD. The DVD, titled Steve Kimock Band: Live at the Gothic Theatre, was recorded on New Year's Eve 2003 and offers 235 minutes of footage - including ten full-song performances, "Rodney's Drum Moment," and exclusive backstage interviews. This will be available starting Friday March 5th in the GD Online Store.

Heart of Gold Band .... Our esteemed sister Donna Jean Godchaux Mackay has revived the "Heart of Gold Band" of fond memory - it includes Donna Jean, her husband David Mackay, Keith Godchaux's brother Brian, Keith and Donna's son Zion, David and Donna's son Kinsman MacKay, Mark Adler, and the original H.O.G.B. drummer, Greg Anton. The family that sings together ... can put out a sweet, sweet CD .....
For more info on band and CD, go to www.heartofgoldband.com.

The Dead 2003 NYE Poster .... Artwork by famed poster artist Alton Kelley, commemorating the highly lauded 2003-2004 New Year's Eve shows in Oakland, CA. Measures 20" x 23". Signed and numbered, in an edition of 900. These are going fast, so go take a look ......

Question: I have heard the Grateful Dead's vault contains a massive amount of tape, and in many formats. How much tape is there, and what sorts of formats?

Answer: The Grateful Dead have about 15,000 audio tapes, about 3,000 video tapes, and more than 250,000 feet of 16mm film. The audio formats include just about everything that has been around since the mid-1960s: 1/4" reel-to-reel, 1/2" reel-to-reel, 1" reel-to-reel (8 track tape, from which albums such as Two From The Vault and the Fillmore East 2/11/69 release were produced), 2" reel-to-reel (16 track and 24 track, from which most live and studio albums after 1969 were produced), DAT, CDs, cassettes, 48 track digital reel-to-reel tapes, ADAT, Beta PCM digital tapes, and a few other random formats of which the vault may have just one or two examples. As for video tapes, again, just about every format from the late 1960s: 1/2" open reel (from which some of the archival footage of the NRPS used on the Closing of Winterland DVD was found), 2" Quad video (from which the Grateful Dead's Closing of Winterland performance was used for the DVD), 1" video (Dead Ahead and So Far were produced from this format), U-Matic (most reference tapes from the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s), VHS, D-2 (a digital mastering tape from which View From The Vault Vol. 1 was drawn), Betamax, BetaCam SP and Digital BetaCam. As for the 16mm film, most of it is from the Winterland, October, 1974, concerts, but there are a few other interesting items, such as the film on which most of the Grateful Dead's music videos were shot ("Throwing Stones," "Foolish Heart," etc). For all of these formats, the Grateful Dead vault and studio has equipment on which virtually every format can be played back, with very few exceptions.

David Lemieux
Audiovisual Archivist
Grateful Dead Productions

Send this eNewsletter to a friend

If you got this from a friend, and want to sign up for your own Flash, go to http://heynow.dead.net and join up ...
?2004 Grateful Dead Productions, Inc. All rights reserved

The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: El Emigrante

Loc: Chicago, USA
Re: Flash Report [Re: Ripple]
    #2411300 - 03/09/04 03:31 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

bah! they're torturing me.... i want to see the tour dates for the dead summer tour not bonaroo :frown:

When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

take it further
 User Gallery

Loc: on the bus!!!
Re: Flash Report [Re: Infrared]
    #2411613 - 03/09/04 06:21 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

very nice,  ripple!

but yeah,  i want to see some dates too.......

:smile: :gd_icon:

Stay Kool, and enjoy the bus ride.....

"Intrepid Search For Innerspace"

DAVID JONES where are you?

I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
Re: Flash Report [Re: kindkesey]
    #2412316 - 03/09/04 10:07 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

cool ripple :laugh: :gd_icon:

im a little disapointed though
i thought this was gonna be a acid flash back trip report
o well
still cool news :smile:

Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Re: Flash Report [Re: kindkesey]
    #2412892 - 03/10/04 12:20 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

yeah i was hoping it would have summer tour dates as well.

The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Grateful Dead

Community >> The Pub