Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineabsolute zero
The Hero
Male User Gallery
Loc: 127.0.0.1
Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions
    #2378185 - 02/26/04 06:23 AM (13 years, 30 days ago)

I highly recomment the book Flatland to any and all... its a very short (80-some pages) and cheap ($3 on amazon) book that represents the memoirs of a geometrical square. The book deals with dimensionality... The square receives visions of Pointland (0 dimensions), Lineland (1 dimension), his own world Flatland (2 dimensions), Spaceland (3 dimensions, our world), and makes reference to 4th, 5th, and higher dimensions. Patrons of Flatland can only see other inhabitants of Flatland as lines, for if you set a penny on a table, circle though it be, when you lower your eye level to the desk, the penny appears as a line. In a similar manner, patrons of Lineland only see each other as points. So, since lineland can only see points (0 dimensions), and flatland can only see lines (1 dimension), it follows that we only see planes, and though we can interact in 3 directional dimensions, we do not see their true nature.

Point (0 Dimensions)
- 1 Terminal Points, 0 Sides
Line (1 Dimensions)
- 2 Terminal Points, 2 Sides
Square (2 Dimensions)
- 4 Terminal Points, 4 Sides
Cube (3 Dimensions)
- 8 Terminal Points, 6 Sides

The books logic then presents that according to each progression, a 4th dimensional version of a cube would consist of 16 Terminal Points with a 'perimeter' consisting of 8 cubes parallel to each other, although not on the x, y, or z axes.

The book's aim is to make the reader consider the existence of higher directional dimensions (as opposed to time, which is referred to in the foreword as a temporal dimension). I would like to bring into discussion the following in relation to the books topic matter:

1) I started thinking about how hallucinogens seem to allow us to bypass our biological sensory 'filters'... and how I've read of people claiming to have gained awareness of higher dimensions during their experiences. Do you think that hallucinogens could be an aid in perceiving a 4th or higher dimension?

2) Is it possible to observe the true nature of the 3rd dimension without physically ascending to the 4th dimension?

3) Does the 4th dimension imply being able to see all sides of a 3-dimensional object as well as its interior simultaneously?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineabsolute zero
The Hero
Male User Gallery
Re: Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions [Re: absolute zero]
    #2378208 - 02/26/04 06:34 AM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Almost forgot! :smile:

[EDIT: If you want the ebook for free, just check out project gutenberg]

Edited by Zero__Glass (10/04/05 12:39 PM)

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

#2379189 - 02/26/04 01:04 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

i read this the other month and i must say i really enjoyed it.  the book provides some interesting insight regarding different dimensions and how the inhabitants living in those realms view the world.

however, i don't feel like dicussing dimensonal issues, this isn't S&P afterall :grin:.

Offlineanarchyhollow
Creator, DrugExploree

Loc: Heart
Re: Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions [Re: TheDude]
    #2379764 - 02/26/04 03:14 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

I have a book called Beyond the Third Dimension, and the guy basically builds off of Flatland. He goes more in depth on 4th and  higher dimensions. Great reading for anybody, and i think it ties in great with psychedelics. To your first question: On dmt i've perceived higher dimensions before. Many people report it on psychedelics. But as usual, it is hard to describe after coming down from the trip :tongue: Peace

--------------------
See, the shrooms explore me. They riddle my mind, they teach me the eternal with direct experience. My soul is one with existance.

Invisibleshroomsi8
Kadiddle Hooper(Iazinguaswinzagshwamomiter)

Re: Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions [Re: anarchyhollow]
    #2381312 - 02/26/04 11:38 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

there is also a sequal called "flatterland"

--------------------

Edited by shroomsi8 (02/26/04 11:39 PM)

Offlineabsolute zero
The Hero
Male User Gallery
Re: Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions [Re: shroomsi8]
    #4753723 - 10/04/05 12:42 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Purchased and read flatterland (by a different author) about 6 months after reading the classic... I found flatterland to be very intriguing as well, although you can't really compare the two. 

:thumbup: Flatland is great for its simplicity. 
:thumbup:  :thumbup: Flatterland is great for its complexity (although the dialog is incredibly cheesy)

--------------------

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
    #4770726 - 10/07/05 10:30 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, I love Flatland. My high school geometry teacher had a closet full of copies and made his classes read it. It really made me think about things from a different perspective. This was before I took psychedelics, but it opened up my mind in kinda the same way. Then years later I remembered the book and bought it. Read it again and still loved it. Highly recommended! :thumbup:

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media