Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Scripting Languages: Ruby vs. Python
    #2323443 -

I'd like to hear opinions from anyone who has coded in both Ruby and Python as to which you prefer and why.

Thanks.


--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Scripting Languages: Ruby vs. Python [Re: Evolving]
    #2323932 -

yeah, Id be interested in that too. Lets include Perl, too :smile:


--------------------
Cuba Libre

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Scripting Languages: Ruby vs. Python [Re: Evolving]
    #2324173 -

I have used python in the past and found it to be very easy to learn and use (from a professional computer science standpoint... not something I would expect my Mother to be able to pick up easily). I have never used Ruby. Perl blows chunks, period. If you like write once, read never, then perl is great. Try maintaining perl code that somebody else wrote and you will see what I mean. TCL/TK are nice if you want portable gui type scripts... as is expect if you know TCL. TCL is a list oriented language, so things can be a bit odd if you aren't used to something like LISP. Don't forget PHP as well... for web scripting it is by far the best that I have found.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Scripting Languages: Ruby vs. Python [Re: Seuss]
    #2324612 -

thanks for the info

>Perl blows chunks, period. If you like write once, read never, then perl is >great.maintaining perl code that somebody else wrote and you will see what I >mean

What do you mean here? That you think perl aint good, but is easy to learn from examples?


--------------------
Cuba Libre

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Scripting Languages: Ruby vs. Python [Re: T0aD]
    #2324795 -

> What do you mean here?

Perl is great if you have to write something quick and dirty to do a single procedure one time.  If you are writing code that must be maintained for years and years by other people, then perl sucks.  There are thirty different ways to do a single task and everybody does it different.  The 'loose format' or lack of style in perl is what I really dislike about the language.  It is very chaotic and can be hard to follow.

Perl does have a lot in its favor.  The libraries available are out of this world.  If you need something, it has probably been done by somebody else already.  Go to CPAN and start digging.  Obviously others like it... I don't.  :smile:


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Scripting Languages: Ruby vs. Python [Re: Seuss]
    #2325468 -

i know a guy who thinks hes a programmer because he knows how to print text in python.... i hate the guy so much i have to hate python as well.


--------------------
...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Scripting Languages: Ruby vs. Python [Re: SHiZNO]
    #2325944 -

> i hate the guy so much i have to hate python as well.

Why give him so much power over yourself?


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Scripting Languages: Ruby vs. Python [Re: Seuss]
    #2335403 -

anger can be power....know that you can use it.....Joe Strummer


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Scripting Languages: Ruby vs. Python [Re: Evolving]
    #2335643 -

I like what Python did with using spacing in the syntax. Eliminates redundancy, ensures consistent readability, great. But does it do anything else thats novel? I found some of their basic file handling classes to have a somewhat retarded design. I left it alone after that, and probably wouldn't pick it up again unless it has mainstream support.

I dislike Perl for the same reasons given above. Don't let linguists design computer languages.

I haven't used Ruby, but I've heard good things about it.

I've played with C# some. Its pretty smooth. I've been doing XSL stuff, cool shit.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Favorite Programming Language
( 1 2 all )
D4NK 2,584 35 03/16/09 01:12 AM
by zouden
* Statistics time: Programming Languages and Programmers
( 1 2 all )
delta9 4,708 26 05/16/07 12:17 PM
by SymmetryGroup8
* linux shell script help OJK 1,008 7 05/23/06 12:21 PM
by OJK
* help with a script
( 1 2 all )
supra 2,172 20 11/27/08 02:13 PM
by zouden
* Programing languages help Baeosistine 760 6 10/04/08 06:49 PM
by zouden
* Who wants to teach me python? LuNaTiX 796 8 01/10/09 11:41 AM
by Baby_Hitler
* Your thoughts on Ruby programming? jpizzle 551 2 03/13/08 01:36 PM
by Frosty_Storm

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, automan, Northerner
1,223 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 16 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.