Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedaywalker
Do you dream in color?

Loc: in my skin
PMP's and casings
    #2266751 - 01/23/04 06:49 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I have been running a pod for a few months and it has been a Godsend. Low-maintenance is what I am all about when it comes to fruiting, and the PMP has delivered.

My initial grow went extremely well. This was using the PF Tek and the cakes were birthed as just that - cakes.

Now that I have gotten into grains and casings, I am really curious to know if the high RH the pod produces is affecting the casings negatively.

My very first casing was a flop. Got very few shrooms and they were tiny. May not be the fault of the environment, I understand that.

I now have 3 casings going and 2 of them are doing great. Pinning after 5 days and all is well.

I have asked around to users on the board how they handle casings and have yet to run across one that uses a pod. It is all the standard clear rubbermaid and fanning routine - RH around 90%+/-

Just tonight I turned off the pump to see what the RH will be like and I am thinking of running a timer on the pump to control the RH some/yet maintain the air exchange properties the pump affords.

Can you help me understand the effects of high humidity on casings and provide any suggestions?

Thanks

--------------------
"I suggest we ... learn to love our ... selves before it ... becomes illegal."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
Re: PMP's and casings [Re: daywalker]
    #2266773 - 01/23/04 07:04 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Definitely.. I think it will have a big effect on casings.

Most of the time you can get away with just having the casing in a container and thats it. This is because of the latent effect of the casing in providing the humidity for the mycelium. This, and hydration is its function. The faq can likely explain it in a more eloquent way of course.

I think your idea of running a timer is likely the best option. You will not need much humidity added to the chamber unless it is very large.

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
Re: PMP's and casings [Re: daywalker]
    #2266790 - 01/23/04 07:14 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

teonan wrote a absolutley great post explaining the positive effects of a humidity gradient, its right here. that should answer any questions u might have, if not post specifics.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
Re: PMP's and casings [Re: amyloid]
    #2266798 - 01/23/04 07:18 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

i decided to select a good paragraph in case your lazy

Teonan>The importance of AIR exchange is to remove excess CO2 from the immediate environmnet where pins will form, and to lower humidity at the surface of the mushroom. This lower humidity creates a water gradient from inside the mushroom 98% humidity to outside the mushroom 85-95% humidity. Imagine it being 100 % humid outside the mushroom and 98% inside. That is a very slight gradient going in the opposite direction. Outside to inside. Breaking up the boundary of air immediately against the surface of a mushroom creates a GRADIENT favorable to mushroom expansion by lowering the humidity in that AIR, regardless of the humidity of the rest of the surrounding air. Mushrooms can develope in 100% humidity, as long as that layer of air at the mushroom surface is lower in humidity. Anything below 98% will cause expansion. The lower you go from 98% down to 90%, the faster the evaporation rate, and the quicker the expansion. Below 90% it can have adverse effects, to rapid a rate.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

Offlinedaywalker
Do you dream in color?

Loc: in my skin
Re: PMP's and casings [Re: amyloid]
    #2266817 - 01/23/04 07:30 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Heh.

I read that post when it was originally posted in the advanced forum, but somehow didn't absorb the info. Great post.

You are right, that paragraph says it all.

Timer is looking like an attractive option, but I am thinking about loosing the pod for the fruiting casings.

Solid info...Here, take a hit, guys on me  :smile:

--------------------
"I suggest we ... learn to love our ... selves before it ... becomes illegal."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom