Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon Autoclave

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleImorph
journeyman
 User Gallery
anyone seen good prices on small autoclave or retorts?
    #2245205 - 01/16/04 01:31 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

hi, hope things have been going well for everybody. My quest is this, can anybody come up with decent price for a small autoclave or retort ? the cheapest i seen so far was $3K for a small operation or business....most of them seem to be EXPENSIVE  even for a small one beyond the A.A.941 size !  i have looked with great interest at some of the previous articles mentioning  :eek: construction.  any tips welcomed
...also has anyone had any luck with agaricus augustus
aka "The Prince" species?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: anyone seen good prices on small autoclave or retorts? [Re: Imorph]
    #2245775 - 01/16/04 11:30 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Good luck on finding an even remotely inexpensive autoclave.  University surpluses may sometimes surprise you with things they offer, but something like an operational autoclave is usually controlled and/or redistributed internally.  As far as *new* ones, I wouldn?t get my hopes up.  The people/places with a need for an autoclave also tend to have the $$ to pay those prices.  I?ve worked in two universities and a two non-profit research organizations, and never had a surplus autoclave come my way :wink:
Agaricus augustus is a tough one to play with.  I got this far with a clone a took awhile back:  [this is one of about 6 plates I innoculated, with no contamination on the others--just no growth]

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#2245826 - 01/16/04 11:56 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Sometimes they sell some bigger medicinal autoclaves like this on ebay. But it's to big to ship I am afraid.
Have found some ideas of making a solar autoklav or one out of a beer keg but I have never seen any real plans on the net. I would also like to find a easy way to construct one myself but I have not found anything so far.
The only thing I came across was a kind of steam chamber made of a old oil barrel. Here is the link.

InvisibleImorph
journeyman
 User Gallery
    #2247449 - 01/17/04 01:22 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

thz for the inputs folks...i have been looking at the construction of steam vessles and it looks like you really need to know what your doing.if you fabricate, depending on how and where you do it you could also have some code issue if constructing or welding pressure vessles.if you decide to go ahead please remember to add a over pressure safety plug or releif valve. if you are inadequate or shoddy in this area and a overpressure scenario happens you may have to answer quests from a hospital bed if lucky. in a worse case scenario the authorities and survivors will wonder at the "crater" and " What was that weird mushroom guy building this final time?" apparently the Prince is hard to tame to cultivation. a site that i visited thought it would be a good idea to add small quanity of spruce or conifer duff.. i'm am guessing that duff (?) is the material that has fallen to the ground from the tree and probably partcially composted. maybe this would add some sort of critical element (?) that would encourage mycel growth? one thing to me is that from the picts that i have seen of the the Prince it seems somewhat like a more attractive darker specked (?) version of the agaricus clan . url=http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/aug2002.html
www.agarics.org

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon Autoclave

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms