Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Sketches for Fruiting Chamber
    #2162634 - 12/05/03 06:48 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Hey everybody. I'm starting to plan out my first attempt at growing. I'm going to buy all of my supplies and put stuff together over my winter break. Then bring everything back to my dorm room and innoculate in January. I'm doing cakes and I'm gonna try to follow the PF Tek to the letter. I drew out some skteches of how I want to do my fruiting chamber. If any of you can look at these and give me feedback, it'd be real cool. My only big question has to do with gas exchange. Instead of fanning, could I hook up an air pump (on a timer) that would remove the CO2? I have an ultrasonic humidifier - the type that mists chameleon cages. It seems to work really well and produce a lot of moisture (any tips on how this should be timed? Like ten minutes every hour?) Any help would just be real cool. Thanks a lot everyone.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Re: Sketches for Fruiting Chamber [Re: Gijith]
    #2162661 - 12/05/03 07:04 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

quick comment...dorm room? where do you go to school....be VERY careful doing this in a dorm room, if you are caught, depending on where you go to school you could easily be expelled...are you going to be in the dorms for your entire college career? regardless, be careful, unless your RA is cool.

As for my comments on your chamber, it looks fancy and all but has some unnecessary features. First of all you don't need the air pump to pump CO2 out. Instead, have a 1-way hole that only lets air out (a hole with plastic covering the top, taped down only on 1 edge...that way when your humidifier is on, air is escaping and when it is off the plastic will rest over the hole, keeping out air). So your humidifier shoudl take care of gas exchange.

Next...why have perlite if you are going ot have a humidifier? A little redundant and unnecessary...perlite works as well as a humidifier, except it gets really disgusting and dirty easily and you have to fan several times a day with it...so stick to the humidifier alone.

On a side note, your cakes look way too close together, the shrooms need room to grow, I know it is a sketch but worht mentioning so you don't prepare too many cakes. Based on the relative size of the cakes I'dsay you could reasonably fite half as many cakes.

As far as the timer, ultrasonic humidifiers have pretty dense mist, get an electronic timer and go like 2 minutes on 2 hours off. Adjust the timing until you see light mist but not heavy condensation on the walls. Heavy condensation isn't a big deal with cakes, but you might as well practice good humidity control for when/if you upgrade to more advanced methods later.

Good luck!

EDIT: I want to add I like how you are doing the drawings...it makes it really fun to get into it not just as a way to grow drugs but as a hobby as well...you'll see it is a lot of fun.

--------------------
I either talk about my friends in the first or third person, but I never, ever talk about myself on this website. Except that last sentence.

Edited by jong21 (12/05/03 07:09 PM)

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Re: Sketches for Fruiting Chamber [Re: jong21]
    #2162695 - 12/05/03 07:15 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

First off, thanks for the help.
As far as my dorm, I'm not at all worried. I used to be and RA myself and live in a very secluded single. Thanks for the air hole idea. Sounds perfect... If I don't use perlite, what should I have on bottom? Just anything to protect the cakes from any water that forms there?... I guess they do look pretty close. (It was hard to find posts and info on this)... And thanks for the timing info.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Re: Sketches for Fruiting Chamber [Re: Gijith]
    #2162729 - 12/05/03 07:32 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

For the bottom many people have recommended a wire mesh to elevate the cakes from the bottom of hte container. And yes you definitely need your cakes to be at least half as densely packed as they are in your drawings.

Good luck...

--------------------
I either talk about my friends in the first or third person, but I never, ever talk about myself on this website. Except that last sentence.

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
Re: Sketches for Fruiting Chamber [Re: jong21]
    #2163111 - 12/05/03 11:00 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

nice, good luck

InvisibleMrPink
Stranger
Re: Sketches for Fruiting Chamber [Re: supra]
    #2163532 - 12/06/03 04:54 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Not to sound like a broken record, but I also would recommend that you be very careful. Mushroom cultivation is a great hobbie, but it's not worth screwing up your education.

Offlineshaftinmp
Master ofDisguise

Loc: Dark of the Sun
Re: Sketches for Fruiting Chamber [Re: MrPink]
    #2163721 - 12/06/03 08:20 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

for the bottom I use a "non-stick cake cooler rack" I bought from walmart. it works great and it will never rust.

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: Sketches for Fruiting Chamber [Re: shaftinmp]
    #2164937 - 12/06/03 06:24 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Ultrasonics are great for humidity, but most of them don't do much for air exchange. You may want to still include that fish tank air pump in your setup, except reverse it so that it pumps clean oxygen into your terrarium. Air exchange is very important IMO.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix