Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
80 libs (pic)
    #2076786 - 11/06/03 11:15 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

ive been picking libs for more than a month this season,
not too shabby ,this has been the best day ive had tho this season :smile:
some of these were real monsters.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
Re: 80 libs (pic) [Re: Mitchnast]
    #2076804 - 11/06/03 11:25 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

:cool: 

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

OfflineBluMonkee
keeper of thelittle people

Loc: Lookin' for an Incident
    #2076843 - 11/06/03 11:37 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

nice show mate  :thumbup: 

--------------------
"If I don't see ya' in the future, I'll see ya' in the pasture"

OfflineNiGGy
Stranger
Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: 80 libs (pic) [Re: BluMonkee]
    #2077101 - 11/06/03 01:07 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

bomb find!! after they get that big, do they start to rot. or do they turn the straw yellow color?

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Re: 80 libs (pic) [Re: NiGGy]
    #2077374 - 11/06/03 02:24 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

well, a few hours later still on the scanner, god answers your question

Offlinedumlovesyou
retired shroomer
 User Gallery

Loc: One dimension
    #2077412 - 11/06/03 02:45 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Can you tell us, the temperature during night/day in your area? Thanks a lot! :laugh: I want to go some hunting.. I never find more than amanitas. Maybe this time. :smile:

--------------------
I see trees of green, psylocibe mushrooms too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful world

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
    #2077426 - 11/06/03 02:52 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

The warmth of the scanner must be all nice and cozy warm on them.. I should look around here I'm not all that far from your area mitchnast.

. what do you think,,, Is there a possibility in HELL... that I would find any... P. semilanceata... Southern New England... We are at about the same altitude... and the climates are similar.. Although I agree you are "much higher"... ???  Than I..rural lot's of horses and cows a grazing... short grassy fields sloped nicely..plenty of rain this year,, may be ultimate conditions I don't know???? Throw me a bone, "I got nothing here".....    :ooo: 

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Re: 80 libs (pic) [Re: nofind_um]
    #2077455 - 11/06/03 03:02 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

not any north of virginia, but even o youed be hard pressed to find them outh of new york. heck, Nova Scotia doesn't even hold a candle to what can be found in NFLD.
but then the season there already fizzled out as i understand and ive been picking since late sept.

the lowest temp we have had yet was like -1c
the days are hovering around 10-15 it was colder for a while in oct, then in late oct we got over a week of rain flooding most patches, it still rains half the time, but the standing water receded and libs grew.

InvisibleStipe
Hunter -Gatherer

#2078056 - 11/06/03 06:17 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Nice find Mithchnast!

I wouldn't say the season is totally over here yet but its close. We got a couple of centimeters of snow on tuesday but the ground itself never froze and its been raining since then. This weekend might be fine.

Seeing how your the resident expert on mushrooms in this region could you recommend a good field guide suitable to Newfoundland? I'm planning to ask Santa for one.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Re: 80 libs (pic) [Re: Stipe]
    #2078240 - 11/06/03 07:23 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

a feild guide suitable for NFLD?
here, you have libertycaps and maybe pan subbs in dung straw compost during warm wet months.
liberty caps grow on taller grass, especially sage grass in cow pastures and on well manured fresh lawns.
they grow when its cool and wet.
in NFLD, assuming you know what they look like and how to find them, thats all you need to know.

if youre looking for a general mushroom feild guide, then any will do, but if you buy one of stamets guides or any other psilocybian guide, it will be chocked full of 95% unrelivant information, tho it IS interesting.

now im not too aware of european guides, but if there are any from great britain or scandinavia, then thats going to be quite compairable to your area.

theres also lots of information on the net reguarding semis.

Invisiblelongshot
title of what?

Loc: Farther North than you
    #2078528 - 11/06/03 08:39 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I thought it said "80 lbs."

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: 80 libs (pic) [Re: longshot]
    #2078537 - 11/06/03 08:41 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

longshot said:
I thought it said "80 lbs."

Haha me too... I was thinking "Damn, 80lbs of what?"

InvisibleStipe
Hunter -Gatherer

Re: 80 libs (pic) [Re: Gumby]
    #2080226 - 11/07/03 07:50 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks. For the record I'm looking for a good general field guide for Newfoundland. I know my libs and most other fall fruiting grass dwelling mushrooms. In the woods my skills needs sharpening. With the library books I've had I've been able to come close (I can usually get genus at least) but for the most part I'm not 100% on the genus species deal.

My mission next year is also to find some pan subbs as I don't believe they've been reported in Newfoundland but if they can be found in Nova Scotia I don't see why we couldn't find them here.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

#2080641 - 11/07/03 10:38 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

well, for starters NFLD is colder, theres less soil, the fauna is different, ex, we have no caribou, you have no amphibians and reptiles. but then again, pan subbs grow pretty much anywhere, they like it warm and wet and humid on dung/straw compost

InvisibleStipe
Hunter -Gatherer

#2089457 - 11/10/03 01:12 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

You should be careful not to make broad generalizations about an island as large as Newfoundland. Most people believe that it?s much colder than it actually is. This may be due to its misleading location on most weather maps that have it situated much further north than its true position. In reality St. John?s, Newfoundland (the capital) is on the same latitude as Seattle and Paris, making it further south than most other Canadian cities.

Another interesting point is that St. John?s has the third mildest climate among Canadian cities behind Victoria and Vancouver, BC and that it is in the same growing zone (5b) as Halifax, Nova Scotia. If you were to compare Nova Scotia?s capital with Newfoundland it would have a climate similar to Corner Brook or Gander. These places, compared to St. John?s, have summers that are a few degrees colder in the winter and a few degrees warmer in the summer on average. All experience similar precipitation patterns with St. John?s being wetter overall. So when you say Newfoundland is colder it isn?t necessarily right. It depends which part of the island and what season you are referring to.

As far as fauna is concerned we do have amphibians. There are ponds near my home with two species of non-introduced frogs. As well, one species of toad can be found on the island. Using caribou as an indicator of climatic differences would be valid, however it should be noted that Nova Scotia did have woodland caribou but that population is now extinct do to non-climatic reasons. Furthermore, caribou does not populate the entire island. They are mainly restricted to open areas that have resulted from glaciations during the last ice age.

This brings me to your other point. Newfoundland has less soil than Nova Scotia. This is fact and may account for the Nova Scotia?s ability to support more hardwood forests than the island. But like Newfoundland, Nova Scotia?s forests are primarily mixed. In these regions I believe that it would be reasonable to expect to find similar fungal communities.

So, why did I write this reply? It?s not to attack your response but to dispel the picture that most people have about the island of Newfoundland as a miserable place when is fact it?s climate is mild by Canadian standards and extremely variable based on season and region.

InvisibleStipe
Hunter -Gatherer

#2089475 - 11/10/03 01:19 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Oh and its now safe to say the lib season is over here. My first find came on Sept 23 and my last on Nov 7.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

#2090098 - 11/10/03 05:15 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

nova scotia doesnt have tundra :smile:

InvisibleStipe
Hunter -Gatherer

#2090540 - 11/10/03 07:52 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

bhaha...thats too bad. NFLD has everything that Nova Scotia has plus tundra. Jealous?

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

#2091634 - 11/11/03 06:52 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

thats like saying "well you may have more lush forest and farmland, but we make up for it in lack therof."

you alo have ravenous clouds of blood sucking blackflies all summer and roadways where cars get ripped asunder my raging horny moose in rut.  you get more snow than anywhere else in canada, greatest population exodus in all of canada, low winter temp second only to nunavut, vast expanses of black peat bogs to swallow up unweary travelers to become mummies.

one time some relitives came to visit us from NFLD, we picked them some wild agaricus from the pasture and they were all "what are those things" and we say "mushrooms" and they say, "oh no way my son, mushrooms is yellow and comes in a can"

nova scotia has the annapolis valley with oodles of fresh produce, we dont have to take a ferry or fly to get to another province, homes cost less in NS than NFLD, more jobs, tho im still waiting for a good one.  better concerts/entertainers,  ummmmm, deeper genepool :smile:

wa haha:)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2091846 - 11/11/03 09:39 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I lived in North Sydney For4kes for one year through a horrific freezxing winter milking 8 cows and feed twenty-two chickens in the morning and remilking the cows in the evening, By hand. I ddid not like it at all there..a nd then i had to sing God Save the Queen at the end of the movie. I wondered why everyone was leaving the theater so soon a the end and before the end of the movie.

mj

Trapped on Cape Breton in the snow and Port Hawkbury causeway was frozen over.

As for people whgo live at the same latitude or longituude, Hawaii is the same as Palenque, Mexico yet there are no P. cubensis on hawaii. There are some on Fiji, bit not on Samoa.

mj

There are liuberty caps in Nova Scotia and in Newfoundland.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck